The Rocketeer cosplay project

Now it's time for the gloves!
I bought a used leather coat from a goodwill shop and kinda deconstructed it to get all the leather. I used that leather to hand sew the gloves. It wasn't easy since I had virtually no sewing experience, but I got it done in the end. I deconstructed an old leather glove I had lying around to make a pattern. Gathering reference material was very important at this stage to make sure I was at least somewhat matching what the screen used gloves looked like.

View attachment 1695824
View attachment 1695825

When the gloves were constructed, I then went ahead and added the extra bits, like the knuckle/wrist cover and the all important button. Once that was done I stained the leather to make it darker and give it a more weathered look.

View attachment 1695826
View attachment 1695827

Next was the rocket harness! For this I knew I was going to need a lot of fairly thick leather, but that stuff is expensive, soooo...
View attachment 1695828
View attachment 1695829
View attachment 1695830
View attachment 1695831

Turns out an old used couch is significantly cheaper than buying a bunch of leather. So now I had my leather!
I once again hand stitched everything and made patterns from reference images. What you see here is my second attempt since I didn't like the first one I made. This was definitely a learning process, but I'm really happy with the results.
View attachment 1695832
View attachment 1695833
View attachment 1695834
View attachment 1695835
hey bummer6,
These are some *really* good looking costume pieces.

You wrote that you made patterns for the glove and the harness; are you willing to share them?
The only online store i know of that makes the harness isn't taking orders, and it's the only major part i need for my veepy pack.

Thanks

hey bummer6,
These are some *really* good looking costume pieces.

You wrote that you made patterns for the glove and the harness; are you willing to share them?
The only online store i know of that makes the harness isn't taking orders, and it's the only major part i need for my veepy pack.

Thanks
Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid I don't have any digital patterns. I made them all using paper. So while I still have some of them, I don't have any way to scan them at the moment. For the glove, my best advice for you is to just get a glove from goodwill or something and just cut it into the shape you want, then remove all the stitching using a knife or something and see how all the pieces are shaped. that should give you a good starting point.

For the harness there really isn't anything special to it. Just cut out pieces that look right out of paper and test fit it on you until you get something that looks and feels correct. If the veepy pack has mounting holes for attaching it to the harness, those holes should give you the rough dimensions of the back piece of the harness. It's not much, but it's a start at least.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

I just realized I never posted any pictures of the finished costume all put together!

So here's a selection of pictures from various conventions I've been to.

received_1831592317235517.jpg

received_265128809586825.png

received_1139683563444522.png

rocketeerback.jpg

So I'm starting a project that I've considered for a looong time. I loved The Rocketeer as a kid and the design of the jetpack and helmet have stuck with me ever since, so I always wanted to make my own.
I've started by 3D modelling the helmet in Autodesk Maya using reference photos of the real prop from the movie that was sold on Prop Store a while ago. The plan is to 3D print the helmet on my Ender 3 and make the jetpack using a mix of foam, 3D printed parts, worbla and a bunch of stuff from the hardware store probably. As for the outfit itself, I don't really know! I've never done any leather work, so I believe the best course of action would be to buy a somewhat accurate leather jacket second hand and then modify it to be more screen accurate... As for the rest of the outfit, I'm a bit less concerned since I feel like as long as you get the jetpack, helmet and jacket right, you'll pull off the character rather well.
Anyway. that's enough waffling from me. Here are some pictures of the 3D model I made!
View attachment 1504726
View attachment 1504727
View attachment 1504728

EDIT:
Grand reveal!
View attachment 1743271
View attachment 1743273

I just came to say SUPER JOB ALL AROUND. Very impressed with the amount and quality of work achieved n relatively short amount of time too. Applause!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back