The Rock - Sean Connery

PHArchivist

Master Member
Working on the outfit Connery wore in The Rock...

This was inspired by the purchase of a highly detailed 12" 1:6 Art Figures Navy Seal / Sean Connery figure.

AF Seal 001.jpg

Got me wondering how tough it would be to find similar equipment on-line.

And so it begins...

Very quickly, on Amazon, I found a UTG brand tactical vest similar to what was in the film (Connery's and Cage's vests differ, as these things can be configured in many ways). It is likely not military grade, but is by no means flimsy or cheap in feel. And it was only $50 bucks!

The configuration on my vest varies from Connery's, most notably in that on the lower left, mine has a cross-draw holster. The movie vest worn by Connery has three additional mag pouches in this area. Also the sides on the film vest are lace-up; mine have straps and plastic buckles.

I'm not looking for a 100% dead on match, but more so to get a rock-solid "feel" for the movie outfit (and yes - "rock-solid" was intended!).

UTG 001.jpg

Also found a very similar thigh holster and two-clip pistol mag pouch, both in the $20 range, and both surprisingly high quality.

Holster 001.jpg

Mags 001.jpg

Connery (Mason) also has what appears to be a hand-cuff (or other similarly purposed) pouch on his right hip behind his holster. Still need that. And he carries his knife sheath on his left, behind the pistol mag pouch. Still looking for a sheath to fit the bill.

Also got a great looking pair of gloves at Target on clearance for $4!

Found a pair of 8" sip-side boots on sale at Big 5 for $29 that look darn similar to Cage's in the film, and look nearly identical to similar boots on military gear sites that sell for $149 and up.

RG 001.jpg

Biggest challenge at this point is isolating the best garments for pants / top.

Studying the film, its fairly evident that the garment is a military-style, one-piece cotton jumpsuit. It has a small collar (small enough to be "popped"), zips up from about the waist line, and has button or snap (not velcro) wraps for the sleeve cuffs (wrists). The bottom (pants) appear like any standard tactical / cargo type pant.

While tactical pants are easy to find, jumpsuits are not that plentiful on-line. So I may be looking at separate pants and top, and may just have to keep looking for the closest match.

So thus far my total investment is just north of $130, and with the garments, likely closer to $200. Not all that bad...

Got a couple air soft weapons to go with it. May cast in resin some additional mags to fill out the vest. Also have a flashlight to add, and maybe a walkie-talkie if I can find a similar model.

Last edited:
Great idea, the SWAT/SEAL costume always makes me feel bad@$$. I have Tactical pants from 5.11, and I love them. I never looked for a top, so I can't help you there. 5.11's are kinda expensive, but I wear them for more than costumes. I suggest the Tac-Lite, they are more comfortable and lighter.

RipStop Cargo Pants -Taclite Pro Pants | Official 5.11 Site

Also, make sure you "blouse" your boots. Any google search will show you how. Good luck, I will be watching for the finished product.

Great idea, the SWAT/SEAL costume always makes me feel bad@$$. I have Tactical pants from 5.11, and I love them. I never looked for a top, so I can't help you there. 5.11's are kinda expensive, but I wear them for more than costumes. I suggest the Tac-Lite, they are more comfortable and lighter.

RipStop Cargo Pants -Taclite Pro Pants | Official 5.11 Site

Also, make sure you "blouse" your boots. Any google search will show you how. Good luck, I will be watching for the finished product.

Seen the Taclites on-line at various suppliers and am drawn. Though I think I may focus on a one-piece. Studying the film, when Cage is on the floor of the cell, its clear they have a cotton one-piece suit. If I can't find a good one, I'll look for suitable separates.

I haven't seen the movie in a while. From the few photos I could find with detail here are my guesses as to what he's wearing in the movie....
Vest - Probably made by Condor, Voodoo Tactical, UTG or similar brands.
Belt - Uncle Mike's duty belt with double pistol mag pouches.
Holster - I didn't see a holster in any of the pictures I found online.
Boots - Are most likely Bates or SWAT brand
One piece outfit - My best guess would be a black flight suit.

Awesome progress, Rob! Glad to see you straying back to the Dark Side of the hobby...Costuming!!!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Awesome progress, Rob! Glad to see you straying back to the Dark Side of the hobby...Costuming!!!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Yo, Matt! Good to see you, bro! Been meaning to drop you a line...!

Picked up a knife for the set-up. Thread ho' that I am, I posted one over in Props since the knife is a prop I suppose.

Tracked down the correct water bottle - almost...

Its a bottle made by "Specialized"...

Being nearly 20 years old it was off to eBay. Found a pair of the same physical model, but they are red. In the film, the bottom half of the bottle is painted black, and the upper half is opaque clear.

I can whip up a suitable paint scheme to simutlate this...

The Rock 001.jpg

Rock012.jpg

Rock020.jpg

Last edited:
This is cool, The Rock is one of my favorites!

Thanks - its been fun collecting the elements for this outfit.

Got the pants a day or two ago; waiting on the top (decided to go two-piece since the available flight suits didn't appeal to me).

On the bottle, I think a very light grey upper will suffice to represent the opaque clear plastic. Closest I'll get anyway...

ebay came through. Bottles arrived and are indeed exactly what was used in the film; except red instead of clear.

Still waiting on the top, then I'll put it all together and see just how silly I look.

Hit one bottle with a light grey, and its too dark. I'll try again with doing the bottle all black, then a thin coat of white over the top half. Regardless, I'm just going to have to accept that it will not be / appear clear.

Oh, this is fun! One of my fave movies... DH and I quote it all the time.

"Uh, Mason? You all right?"

"Perfectly all right, you f*ing idiot!"

Can't wait to see the full ensemble. Definitely gotta post pics when you get it all together!

For MAXIMUM SILLINESS, Take a pic with the warclub raised above your head! :D

"War club" threw me for a minute until I saw who posted it! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, this is fun! One of my fave movies... DH and I quote it all the time.

"Uh, Mason? You all right?"

"Perfectly all right, you f*ing idiot!"

Can't wait to see the full ensemble. Definitely gotta post pics when you get it all together!

I always grin when Mason informs Hummel, "Pearsonally, I think you're a fokking idiot..."

Got my BDU top in today to go with the pants.

Again, couldn't find a good one-piece suit, but with the BDU shirt tucked in (though I know its not meant to be) it fits the part.

The shirt and pants are all buttons - button fly, button up shirt, button pocket flaps, button sleeve cuffs, etc. I may have it professionally altered and replace much of the buttons with velcro and add a zipper for the shirt. May add some length to the shirt tail too to ensure it stays in.

The Rock 002.jpg

Attachments

• The Rock 002.jpg
    The Rock 002.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I may have it professionally altered and replace much of the buttons with velcro and add a zipper for the shirt. May add some length to the shirt tail too to ensure it stays in.

View attachment 286419

Looking good! If you're gonna do that - you could sew the shirt and pants together too, no?

I remember Marshall Teague telling us (at a Stargate con) how he had to pull Connery under the water when the flashbomb goes off in the sewer (Marshall did lots of the training and safety set up) and he grabbed Connery by the balls. He said sorry later. lol

Other than tailoring the shirt, I'm pretty much done - ready to put it all together and try it on.

I am waiting on one more item, though...

In the film he used the water bottle just once, and its not really possible to tell where he was carrying it. Per the figure I have that inspired this project, and based on screen caps, I can't tell either where he carries the bottle.

So I'm going to take some creative license. I have a black nylon, tactical H20 bottle carrier on the way. I has a side pocket on it too that can carry the remainder of Mason's special operation equipment (three washers and a box of water proof matches).

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back