The Rise of Johann Han'rre (Mando WIP)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by BananoPower22, Feb 29, 2012.

1. BananoPower22

BananoPower22 New Member

Hey guys! I'll be sharing some of my progress here on this thread with you all. It's my first attempt and building stuff... so it might not be pleasant to the eye! I've never used fiberglass before but I have worked with bondo before on many projects (car related... autobody repair shop). But I'm still a newbie, so any tips on how to make my armor would be AWESOME!

Here are some pictures:

Started out by cutting out the pieces from this template:

[​IMG]

Everything cut except the earscaps, range finder and keyhole from the helmet. I don't know how to build those, unfortunately :/

[​IMG]

I tried assembling it with paper but the outlook wasn't really pleasant to the eye...

[​IMG]

So what I did was I traced every single piece of paper on to a carton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used loctite (started using krazy glue once I ran out of loctite. The both of them work just fine. Same thing, different brand IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here it is so far drying up. Actually it was a waste of tape since krazy glue takes like 10 seconds to fully dry... lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good huh?

[​IMG]

Added the dome : (templates http://www.instructables.com/files/orig/F6C/DR3U/G5FR5D53/F6CDR3UG5FR5D53.pdf)

[​IMG]

And now it's ready for fiberglass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The way it ended up looking.. bumpy all over the dome wasn't exactly what I wanted (that and a couple of other mistakes...), they bothered me so I dremelled them out. BUT before I did that I added a layer of fiberglass on the inside for maximum sturdiness and extra weight

[​IMG]

Here it is with all the bumps and mistakes removed

[​IMG]

Bondo, of course!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sanded with 80 grit paper and cleaned off the excess with water, that's why t looks shiny
    [​IMG]

So pretty :love:love:love I filled the cheekbone areas and sanded them, and since I like shiny things I did the same. I cleaned off the excess with water and while it was still wet, I took a picture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aaaaaaand here's how it's looking so far. nice and smooth (everyone's been telling me the helmet kinda looks like if it was made out of bones :lol )

[​IMG]

And there you have it! That's all for today folks, tomorrow I'll wake up early and start searching around the forums for some ear caps and range finder templates so I can add them to my pretty helmet! It looks so sad and alone, it just needs some company :p

Any comments? Thoughts? Things I might need to improove? All of them will be gladly appreciated! I wanna make this costume the best one out theere with the help of you guys :)

I'll update as soon as I do anything to it.

2. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

Not bad. Might get a better response in the costuming section though.

3. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Looking good! Hopefully a Mod will move your thread for you.

4. BananoPower22

BananoPower22 New Member

Yes please, I was just thrilled and wanted to share my progress with everyone. I'm new to the forum and instead of taking time to familiarize with it I just made the thread... in the wrong section

5. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I used the same templates for my helmet, there should have been patterns for the rangfinder and earpieces included. did you download them from The Dented Helmet ? I made my earpieces from 1/4" MDF, same with the rangefinder stalk. Good luck with the rest of your build !

6. Etewaf

Etewaf Active Member

Good first attempt, however, I think if you started over, you could save yourself a lot of work. It all looked really good up until the fiberglass stage. From what I can tell in the photo, you started laying fiberglass matting on the -outside- of the helmet. You don't really want to do that. You loose all the detail and nice crisp lines.

I'd re start, and this time just lay down the fiberglass matting on the inside of the helmet. If you print the pattern on heavy cardstock paper, the resin should soak into the cardstock, kind of making it translucent. If it didn't soak all the way through on some parts, you could paint a thin layer of fiberglass resin all over the outside surface. Then from there you can do your bondo work.

7. BananoPower22

BananoPower22 New Member

yeah, many people have told me that that was very dumb of me to lay the fiberglass on the outside. I kinda regret it but however the helmet still looks nice... I think i might do it again and sell the helmet to anyone who wants it, but in a later future. It might look kinda crappy but I'm too attached to the helmet right now <3 lol

here are some pictures of what i've got so far....

sanded the whole helmet with 80 220, 500 and 1000 grit sand paper and sprayed two coats of flat black. [​IMG]

once it dried... sprayed two coats of silver

[​IMG]

masked it and sprayed some red.

[​IMG]

I've downloaded many ear templates but I just can't understand how to assemble them... so I guess I'll leave that for the and and start with the armor. Here's a shin piece
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added some extra cardboard so that area kinda popped out, I got inspired by the cover strips that are used on stormtroopers. I kinda like the look. Hopefully it'll look nice once I'm done with the whole armor :3

here's also what i've got cut so far

[​IMG]

I don't know how to "mold" these parts to my body so i guess i'll brush it with some resin on the outside and push it into my body and stay out in the sun until it's solid. after wards i'll add some fiberglass on the inside, then probably bondo on the outside....

anyway, that's it for now. Stay tuned! :)

8. R2D2

R2D2 New Member

Tried looking at your pics and they all seem to be down :(

9. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

BTW, what is the story behind your Mando's name?

10. BananoPower22

BananoPower22 New Member

sorry for the late reply, i forgot my password and had to reset it... but anyway

my real name is Juan Enrique, in english it translates to John Henry, and i THINK that in Deutsch, john is johann, so i figured i would use it as a first name, and for han'rre, if you say it very quickly it will sound like you just said henry :p

if you've got a facebook, here's the link to the whole build album. it's set to public. it shows pretty much everything i've done to the mando

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3374610726983.2158656.1320756753&type=3