The Riddler Arkham City Cane

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by philipdgls, May 14, 2015.

1. philipdgls

philipdgls New Member

So I’m going to the May 2015 London MCM Comic Con and I’ve decided to Cosplay as The Akham City version of the nefarious Riddler.... The first thing I wanted to create was his cane. I started off by measuring the cane that comes with the Batman Arkham City Riddler Action Figure I then measured the figure. After I compared it to the height of Nigma noted down in the Guide Book for the Game. By doing this I was able to work out the scale...

[​IMG]
    Here is the drawing/blueprint of the design. I then proceeded printing out the design (actual size) and tracing it over a piece of MDF. I cut out the head of the cane and then was able to use that as a new stronger template..
    View attachment 477403
    Using this I traced the design onto two thicker pieces of MDF... The great thing about MDF is that it doesn’t have a grain.

View attachment 477409 View attachment 477408 View attachment 477407 View attachment 477410
    I cut thoese out using a mixture of a Band Saw and a Jigsaw. The next thing to do was weld/solder the coper handle together... This was fun by the way lol... Using plumming pieces I was able to create a handle that dipped in at the centre. This was also very strong...

Next I drilled into the head of the cane (making sure it was straight the whole time) and fixed in inside using a nut and bolt. After I gave the whole thing a spray of primer.

View attachment 477415 View attachment 477414 View attachment 477413 View attachment 477416

I also added the bottom pieces aswell. They were made by drilling into the MDF and shaping them with the sander. I painted the whole thing green exept the handle and the edges of the Cane’s head. They were a metalic silvery grey.
    [​IMG]
    I wasn’t particuley happy at this stage as I felt it was missing something. Y’know those wooden sticks you get at coffee shops to stir your coffee and what not. It turns out they make great edging strips for a Cane Head.

View attachment 477419

I next painted that silver and finished painting the rest. Let me also add, I used silver metal tape in between the Dot of the Question Mark and the Head and also between the two bottom pieces. Everything looked far to new so I battered the tape a little and scratched it. I also added a mottled painted texture to the cane and stick and attatched a metal dome onto the end of the cane so that it gave out a nice clang when you hit it on the floor.

I’ll Post my final Images next...

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. philipdgls

philipdgls New Member

So here’s my finished Cane... What do you guys think? I’m still working on the cosplay itself but I think this turned out pretty well :)

IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6362.JPG IMG_6363.JPG IMG_6364.JPG IMG_6365.JPG [​IMG] IMG_6367.JPG IMG_6368.JPG IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6362.JPG IMG_6363.JPG

Attached Files:

MAAZ likes this.
  3. DJdrummer

DJdrummer Member

Looks fantastic. For some reason the attachments in the first post aren't showing though.