The Revenant (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Revenant by director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, another one of my anticipated movies of 2015.

20th Century Fox's presentation at CinemaCon.

devincf: THE REVENANT: shot in all natural light. On screen text explained themes to audience.

colliderfrosty: Just saw a few min of raw footage from THE REVENANT. As you expect it looks stunning and loaded with beautiful photography. Very impressive

colliderfrosty: THE REVENANT was filmed using only natural light and in extreme locations

EricVespe: Favorite footage from the Fox presentation was from Inarritu's The Revenant. Mountain Man DiCaprio fighting for his life in the wilderness.

EricVespe: The Revenant footage looked Malick-y. All shot with (gorgeous) natural light by DoP Emmanuel Lubezki. Intense.

colliderfrosty: Best of the panel was THE REVENANT and THE MARTIAN. Both looked awesome and impressive for different reasons. Fox is going to have huge year

Cinemacon: THE REVENANT Is Going To Win Lubezki Another Oscar | Badass Digest

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Vivek

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  3. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: The Revenant

Oh look! Another Oscar snub for Leo!

Seriously, though, it looks good.

Riceball likes this.
  4. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Looks intense. It may not be a theater viewing for me (I generally only do theater for only a select few movies), but I'll see it eventually.

5. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks very intense. Way to Leo and Innaritu. A movie I have never heard of is now a must see.

6. wannab

wannab Sr Member

This story was done in 1971 with Richard Harris -- Man in the Wilderness (character name Zach Bass instead of Hugh Glass). Read about the real character Hugh Glass or should I say Hugh Bad A**!

7. Feraud

Feraud Sr Member

Looks amazing! I'll definitely be seeing this in the theater.

8. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Makes my bad day seem trivial.

9. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. They say it's based on this book: http://www.amazon.com/Revenant-Nove...8&qid=1438290528&sr=8-1&keywords=the+revenant

But that books sounds remarkably like the movie you are talking about. I'm surprised it was even able to be published without a lawsuit.

10. Vivek

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  11. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll only say this about the movie: the best and worst thing about it is the directing.

12. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Leo's come along way since Titanic and that era, apparently he insisted on eating raw buffalo in the movie instead of faking it.

13. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not gonna lie; it looked absolutely delicious.

14. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Just watched this. REALLY good film!!

15. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

It was amazing. The only scene that took me out of it was the wolf and buffalo scene. It was visually stunning and beautiful despite the violent material. Some shots lingered and just showed a depth of agony and despair that felt so true to life. Leo needs to bring one home for his performance, although Tom Hardy was no slouch!

16. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

The wolf and buffalo scene... Where he meets the Indian? The bear attack was amazing! The whole film is visually stunning,and haunting. I have no faith in the academy, but yea Leo deserves to bring one home for this film.

17. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Everyone seems so focused on the Oscar thing... meh... probably not going to happen and who cares?

This movie was one of the most visually beautiful and haunting movies I have seen in a long time. If you are looking for an action adventure (as the trailers implied) this is NOT the movie for you. It is slow... VERY VERY slow at points, but it is incredible all the same. There was also some incredibly cool camera work in this film and considering so much was done on-location, I don't even know how some of it was achieved but it was very cool.

I don't know if I could call it a great movie, but it was a stunning movie and really makes you exceedingly thankful for the comfy lives we live today.

PS... why aren't more people talking about this?!?

Falk and Vivek like this.
  18. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Lack of explosions. :p

I enjoyed this movie and damm that bear scene. I dint even find it to be that slow. It had the right pace and i atleast never had a boring moment in it.

Sundowner likes this.
  19. Optimusryan

Optimusryan New Member

Do you think Leo will finally receive an Oscar for The Revenant?

And, to those who have seen it, do you think he deserves one for his performance?

20. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Do you think Leo will finally receive an Oscar for The Revenant?

Just saw this today; quite good. Occasionally beautiful to look at, as well.

Sure. Why not? I'd prefer to give him one for The Aviator, but that's a matter of personal preference. This is a very good performance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

-MJ

21. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It played out like a book. Some of the slow scenes felt like they would be narrated if it was an actual book. But I really did enjoy it and yes the bear scene was intense. I've realized that Tom Hardy is a pretty * good actor too

22. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's based on a book.

23. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My god this movie put me to sleep. It started off great and then took a massive dump. The Indians should have killed everyone in about 25 minutes of the movie. Why, cause the Indian tribe was on their * right after the left the boat. But Oh no Chief needs go back to god knows where to get horses from the French. Really he went back to pack his peace pipe and pick up trader Joe's beef jerky for his munchies. No one lives from a bear beaten like that. Sorry, but it was soooooo boring. It had a good set up but failed.

24. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I just got through watching this. I thought it was pretty good--kinda had that Jeremiah Johnson feel to it. Yes, visually stunning but some of it did drag on. I thought the sound on the blu-ray is way overmixed, though. They paid so much attention to upping the sound of the rivers, wind, etc that I couldn't hardly hear what anyone was saying most of the time. Tom Hardy's dialogue, with whatever accent he was trying to do, is almost totally incomprehensible. And I guess Leo got the Oscar just for his physical performance, because he doesn't have but maybe twenty lines in the whole movie. His dead wife speaks more than he does.....and you can't understand what she is saying either, all her whisperly ghost advice is drowned out by the sound mix also.

Gotta admit, that bear attack was pretty intense! Just for the visuals, this would be good to see in Imax, I'm sure. I did enjoy it, but I doubt it will get a second viewing from me. I thought the end shot, where he kind of breaks the fourth wall and stares right at the camera was a little lacking.

I wonder how many Tauntaun jokes were made on set during the dead horse scene?