The Revell Snap tight kit (Standard Tie)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by 3d-builder, Feb 28, 2012.

1. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

For $19.99 amazing little kit i was shocked!
    Click on the pic to start the video.....
    [​IMG]

2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks for this, I didn't know about it! It does look pretty good. And the pilot appears to be about 1/32 scale, about the same as the MPC Vader's TIE. Very cool.

3. greylocke

greylocke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Where did you get that? I think that would be great hanging from my ceiling.

4. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

My local hobby shop had it.:thumbsup

5. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice review. Might have to pick one up now, ha!

6. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Ok guys just going to hit you up with pics it's a snap
    kit nothing tricky. ALthough i would recommend using some
    CA glue on the inner cockpit walls and the edges of the solar
    panels where needed. Other wise nice kit i am looking to get another,
    to paint maybe do some light mods....but not this one this one was
    just "Snapped together" LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. robn1

robn1 Master Member

That really looks nice. And not just nice for a Revell snap, but really nice!

8. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Actually if you don't figure in the vader figure which is oversized the vaders tie comes in at 1/48. I have two of the BCI tie fighters which are 1/48 and build to be in scale with the MPC vaders tie. They use the cockpit grill/glass from the MPC model. I also have the studio scale tie fighter at 1/24 and the BCI are half that size/ 1/2 studio scale. It's just the vader figure that is oversize and throws people off as they measure the kit by the size of the figure.

Interestingly enough and typical of Finemolds. Their 1/48 tie fighter is not actually 1/48.

9. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

Is this one bigger or smaller than the FM kit, any one know?

10. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Nice Job and find Mike.

11. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Bigger than the 1/48 FM Tie. Scale I figure is about 1/41 scale (meaning it is perfect for dogfight displays with the old MPC X-Wing kit).

12. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I saw this kit a couple of weekends ago, wasn't sure about the size so I passed.
    Looking at your review I will definately pick up two, or three.
    One can never have too many tie fighters.
    Thanks for sharing, it looks impressive, especially for the price.

13. daverep

daverep Active Member

I was thinking of picking up a FM kit of this, but now I may do some searching around. Thanks for the thread!

14. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I just picked up this kit, and it looks pretty good. Much better than any other Revell or MPC SW kit. It's got the kind of detail and quality of molding that they should have had all along. I can't comment on fit yet, but the details are crisp. The wing star details look spot on to me.

15. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

and Revell Tie Advanced easy kit (not pocket kit) for a Vader and wingman diorama

16. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

This thread has forced me to go a buy 3 :) On a realted note is the Vader Revell TIE in the same scale?

Jedi Dade

17. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

After seeing this thread I ordered one.. Anyone plan or doing any painting or weathing? I have not built many painted kits.

18. robn1

robn1 Master Member

The paint is strange, it's molded in light blue gray plastic with light gray streaks painted on. The black wing panels are also painted flat black. I did a quick snap build just to see it together, but I plan to repaint it.

19. MClass

MClass Active Member

Looks surprisingly good! Might pick this up. Is it the same scale as the snap-tight X-Wing?

20. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Ohhh, I passed on one of these at toys are us, not long ago. You are right! The box art did not look inviting.

will have to look for one over here, I think TOys are us has sold out.

PS: I have a replacement darth vader for the MPC advanced tie if anyone needs one. Again I am not sure if I can cast it but anyone is welcome to try.

Thanks for the review.

Ozzy

21. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Here are a few quick snaps. I didn't put in the interior. It's basically the same as the MPC Vader TIE, except they included a control yoke. The hull is mostly bare plastic, only the gray streaks are painted. Scale is smaller than the MPC Vader, don't know about the Revell. It's about the same scale as the MPC X-Wing.

22. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

The only part I really felt the need to scratch build something for was the part on the back that connects from the back hatch to cockpit ball.

It looked empty and when looking at the fine molds tie I see it there. In the picture you can spot it as the "whiter" part since when I sprayed over the base color, the white styrene stayed lighter than the normal stock kit color

[​IMG]

There are probabably a lot of other little details that one could add the the exterior as well, but not necessary

23. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

and here it is next to Revell's Vader tie for those curious about size comparisons

[​IMG]

I'm picking up a second one to do this scene..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  24. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Thanks for the side by side pic with the Revell vader tie. Anyone tell me what the size differences are between the MPC Vader Tie and the Revell?

I think every star wars fan would love to have a dio of the death star run.

PS: blakeh1 nice scratch of the sherman tank part.

ozzy

25. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

The AMT Vader tie is little bigger. I think just enough to be noticeably out of scale with the Revell tie. Probably something like 1/36 vs 1/42. I do have both. I can post a comparison picture later tonight after I get home.

So that part was from a Sherman tank. I'll have to if I can spot a picture of the actual part. I based it of the fine molds 1/72 version so it was kind of a best guess as to what it would look like scaled up

26. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Thanks blakeh1, a side by side would be good if you could.

Your scratch is immediately identifiable as the right part.

Ozzy

27. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Here's the 1/48 BCI tiefighter. It was built to be in scale with the MPC tie. It uses the same screen. Sorry for the bad pic. Just a beaten up x1 I pulled out for the pic.

[​IMG]

28. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Thanks JM, Like every star wars fan, I have always wanted to put a dio together with the tie x1 MPC. This Revell one looked the goods. what to do?

Ozzy

29. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Get yourself a couple of BCI tie fighters mate.

30. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

here you go Revell Tie advanced on the left, Revell tie in the middle, AMT/MPC Tie advanced on the right. You can see the AMT/MPC ties is just a bit bigger. Detail wise they are almost identical except thee missing sherman part on the back and the 4 engine nozzles. The inside wings details are pretty much exact. IN some areas on the back of the body the Revell version actually is a bit more crisp. They both are also missing panel lines. I scribed them into my Revell version. (sorry about the missing hatch on the AMT version, its probably close to 30 years old or more at this point. I beat it up pretty good as a kid)

[​IMG]

Revell on left, AMT/MPC on right

[​IMG]

AMT on left, Revell on the right
    [​IMG]

AMT on left, Revell on the right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the Revell ties with the AMT/MPC X wing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Thanks blakeh1,

Great pics.

Ozzy

32. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I find it a little weird that Revell would make the standard tie a little smaller than the Vader's TIE. One would figure since the cockpits are the same that they could have saved money by using a common cockpit and clear parts sprue. Oh well.

MPC's Vader's TIE I scaled to be about 1/35, so I guess the Revell Vader's TIE is maybe 1/36-1/37 ish. At least the standard TIE is the same scale as the MPC X-Wing in any event (1/41st).

33. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Excellent references, I got mine in the mail yesterday and was even more impressed seeing it first hand. I am working on fiber and where exactly I am going to install the led's. Have not put much of it together just cut everything off the spruce and need to wash and clean up a little flash.. I am really going to try and run a lot of fiber mostly red with a few white lights. I need to see how much room I have between the cockpit and back shell to put in the leds..

I was thinking of taking pictures of how the * pit was painted now and then use them as a ref after primeing and drilling the holes for the fiber. The little bit of silver/white/red and gold paint on control detail. I also found a few ref pics on line of the tie coockpit.. I plan to paint a little better detail than how the kit comes as some of the control buttons just have the paint blotched on or missing in some areas, though it does not look bad..

I thought of adding brass for the guns in the front. I plan to prime and paint with MM paint ghost grey then cover with light intermediate blue. It would have been nice if they left the panels completely out for painting..

Thanks to this thread I was always planning on picking up the fine molds 1:48 scale tie, but think this model is really nice..

One question, for those of you that light your models if you want to install led's where control knobs are raised do you remove them flatten the area then drill or try and drill through the round knob.. I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks!! I need to pick up the MPC x-wing in the future..

Blakeh1 great idea for the diorama!!

Mike

34. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I had that same idea, I did two of the ties (the 2-pack with the death star base) and modded a estes tie x1 model rocket for the same purpose.
    I'm gonna pick up a couple standard ties and an advanced and do them bigger now. Especailly since they are also close enough with the old X-wings.

Thanks for the comparisons.

Now I need to start on those death star tiles!

35. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Yeah I was hoping they be exact, actually the cockpit interior may be the same. I seem to remember there being more room in the vader tie. At any rate, the Revell one is definitely closer in scale and in a diorma you can set to two wingman back a bit but not too far and it should look good

Also, even though the vader figure is that rubbery stuff, it looks very good. A far cry from that malformed blob in the MPC one.

For those that prefer the MPC one, you could always pick up the revell one for the figure and then use the wings to start a build on a tie bomber. It's not bad price wise. I might actually do that myself and pick up a second one so I can "restore" the MPC version I already have and start a tie bomber

36. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Also the Revell tie definitely looks much better with a repaint. It turns from more of a toy look into a model

37. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I've got one of the snap TIEs that I need to finish for a review. I am going to try the Tamiya Haze Gray spray on mine as supposedly that is pretty dang close to the shade used on the ANH studio models.

After that, well, I might do a little "Blue Harvest" with it as I have some Thai decals from a Revell F-5F that I won't be using on that jet. ;)

38. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Any MM close to the Tamiya Haze Grey? I know that I can order online but that really sets me back in my modeling.. Oh the wait :cry Anyone feel my pain?

I know this is a little off the subject but for you guys that have built this is there any room for leds behind wall in the back (behind seat actual panel wall between the shell) for maybe three led lights? Would you guys light up something like this with fiber or not?
    Sorry I always ask questions..

Thanks,

Mike

39. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I've tried the Tamiya Haze grey and it just seemed to dark for me. Of course thats probably based on bright studio lights making it look lighter.

I personally prefer Tamiya Luftwaffe Blue (AS-5). That makes it look lighter in person and has that kind of blusih tint to the grey color

The haze grey though is actually pretty close to the stock kit color for the revell kits

40. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

So, let me get this straight.

MPC Vader TIE = 1/36 scale
    AMT Vader TIE = 1/40 scale
    Revell Vader TIE = 1/54.47 scale
    Revell Standard TIE = 1/60.981333 scale

And we've ruled out 1/48, right? Don't listen to that Jedimaster guy, he makes stuff up.

...just wanting to be part of the randomness. :p

41. robn1

robn1 Master Member

These two are the same kit. MPC was bought by ERTL, which also bought AMT.

42. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

It's more complicated :rolleyes:confused. Revell originally ists its tie at 1/51 (or was it 1/57?). But it is definitely larger than the 1/51 AMT regular ties and Fine Molds 1/48.

Basing it on comparision I've seen to a studio scale model (assuming 1/24) the Fine Molds tie is actually more like 1/65 not 1/48, which would make sense why Revell says it is 1/51 but is large than a 1/48th model from another company.

However based on the Fine Molds standard of 1/48 the Revell tie is actually more like 1/41 and their scale listing is just wrong. The MPC/AMT/ERTL Vader tie is around 1/35 while the Revell is probably around 1/37

In all cases, whatever scale they may wind up being, the Revell regular tie and Vader tie are close enough in scale to call it a day for me as far as diorama display purposes. Both are a good bit larger than 1/48. They seem to be in scale with the regular MPC X-wing (not the Pro-shop version, or the smaller snap version)

I guess it all comes down to how studio scale is determined. IIRC they put 1/24 figures in there, but the studio model itself was not necessarily built to 1/24 scale. So did Fine Molds and Revell base the scales on the figure, or the estimated "real world" size

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  43. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I calculated the scales for the MPC kits years ago using the Lucas numbers as printed in the LFL references. I also ran some numbers on the standard Revell TIE as well based on measurements I got off of a built model. Yes, I KNOW there is plenty of controversy on that depending on whom you talk to and believing model proportions as seen in the films (the TIEs in ANH were huge!). But hey, they are a set of documented numbers and they are what many modelers who don't build studio scale tend to use. You can believe those numbers or not, but I use them as a baseline standard and they give a good idea as to where everything fits in proportion to one another (and even the pilot figure sizes line up with these scales).

So:

AMT/Ertl Standard TIE: 1/48 (or at least close enough as IIRC I was getting 1/49)
    MPC TIE Interceptor: 1/48
    MPC Vader's TIE: 1/35-36 (rounding up or down)
    Estes Vader's TIE model rocket kit: 1/48
    Revell Standard TIE: 1/41
    Revell Vader's TIE: 1/37-38 (granted I haven't taken a ruler to this one to know for certain)

For comparison, X-Wing scales:

Pro Shop X-Wing: 1/35
    MPC Glue X-Wing: 1/41
    MPC Snap X-Wing: 1/61
    Revell X-Wing: 1/61

I haven't measured any of the pocket snaps in either kit line or the FineMolds ones as I don't have a 1/48 FM TIE in my stash (since I already have the AMT TIEs), just the 1/72 ones.

44. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

i see you guys are doing all your home work.......and all
    the hard work goo stuff!:thumbsup

45. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Double post..

46. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Studio scale= 1/24 right?
    So 1/2 studio scale = 1/48..... Yeah?

[​IMG]
    :facepalm:behave

47. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

This is the MPC vader with a couple of BCI tie's .

[​IMG][/IMG]

48. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

And again.

[​IMG]

49. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I would say if a "studio scale" TIE model is double the distance across from wing hub to wing hub compared to a TIE model defined as "1/48 scale" by the LFL numbers as to how big a real "TIE" should be, then yes. If not, then it gets back into the debate of model scale interpretation and how it appeared on film compared to LFL's numbers again.

Personally, while the LFL size numbers don't always jive (Millennium Falcon being a prime example of a debate that will last longer among modelers than if Han or Greedo shot first), at least in the case of the TIE, they make sense. I've seen some studio scalers say a TIE has this HUGE cockpit ball. To me, a TIE is supposed to be a highly maneuverable cheap and essentially disposable fighter. So having the pilot sitting in a version of a man cave (or the Bat Cave for that matter) doesn't make all that much sense to me and it doesn't make much sense to move all that wasted mass either.

50. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

It might not, but that is what you see in the film, so...tough. :behave :)