'The Return of the Rocketeer' coming to Disney+

Usagi Pilgrim

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
No word on if it's a reboot or a sequel film, but it'll focus on a retired Tuskegee Airmen. Just don't change the helmet or the jetpack, & I'll give it a chance.

EDIT: The more I've thought about it, if they're calling it the 'RETURN of the Rocketeer', then it'd stand to reason that the movie history would still be intact. I think that makes the chances of this being in continuity pretty high.

Last edited:
I’m just going to sit back and watch this thread take the inevitable path that all threads take when a 2020’s style “reboot / reimagining / prequel / sequel” is executed. “All of this has happened before; all of this will happen again…” (As one of the better reboots in the last 20 years put it)

If this story takes place in the late 1940’s, or early 1950’s, I am hopeful that the rocket receives an upgrade to an “atomic rocket pack” complete with 1950’s styling to the design (large fins, chrome trim…something akin to the design of a Chevy Bel Air, etc.) that brings the design closer to the design of the rocket pack seen in the actual comic book.

Hopefully they can also upgrade the rocket pack design to avoid that whole “why are his pants not on fire?” issue.

28DE2CD5-0D0A-4C1B-93CE-0DBE9C148A7D.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree this sound more like a sequel. Its stands to reason Hughes must have had a few proto types. I would even venture to say the jet pack may even be a variation from the original. The article states, "retired Tuskegee airman who takes up the Rocketeer mantle" I love the Tuskegee Airmen and all they represent. I am already onboard wanting to see this come full circle. I am also looking to see what other slight or major changes they make the clothing from the first Rocketeer Cliff Secord. Just have to wait to see more info trickle out.

With a title like "Return of the Rocketeer" it strongly suggests that it's some kind of sequel or, at worst, a soft reboot; same universe, same history, but a new character taking on the mantle of The Rocketeer.
Okay soft reboot if you will.

Disney wouldn't take my advice (though God knows they could use it), but I would give him a completely new design. New rocket and helmet. Make him his own character. He would be the 'silver age' Rocketeer and Cliff Secord would still exist as the 'golden age' Rocketeer akin to Alan Scott or Jay Garrick as the original Green Lantern and the Flash respectively.

I’m just going to sit back and watch this thread take the inevitable path that all threads take when a 2020’s style “reboot / reimagining / prequel / sequel” is announced. ”All of this has happened before; all of this will happen again…” (As one of the better reboots in the last 20 years put it)
Yeeeaaahhh... I honestly hesitated even starting the thread, simply because it's a Disney property. I probably need to go ahead & let the mods know that they can go ahead & lock it/delete it/ban me for it becoming too political.

LOL

Seriously though, to modify your BSG quote-

On the RPF, I've been disappointed before, I'll be disappointed again.

that brings the design closer to the design of the rocket pack seen in the actual comic book.
But the design from the movie is clearly superior. I heard at one point that Stevens never was completely satisfied with the design in the comics. Anyone else heard that?

Its stands to reason Hughes must have had a few proto types.
That's not supported by the dialogue in the movie at all. Later packs need to be descended from the plans Peevy made and gets back from Jenny at the end.

Given that it’s a movie and not a series, I’m not sure how optimistic we should be, considering it’s going straight to Disney+. Of course, Disney could be betting on a major shift away from theaters, which I also think isn’t great, considering the amount of influence they have on the industry. To top all that off, the screenwriter is the one from Now You See Me, which is terribly dull. All that being said, I’ll agree with most people here that the Tuskegee Airman idea is really good, and I hope it turns out well.

But the design from the movie is clearly superior. I heard at one point that Stevens never was completely satisfied with the design in the comics. Anyone else heard that?

That's not supported by the dialogue in the movie at all. Later packs need to be descended from the plans Peevy made and gets back from Jenny at the end.
I know it not supported by the dialog in the movie. However it leaves it to speculation that Hughes is an inventor. He just didn't make the first jetpack and that was it. He had to again speculation build a few prototypes before finalizing the one we see in The Rocketeer Movie. Its all come down to trial and error there was documents and blueprints i recall. Even though it was not all literally laid out it leaves alot to the imagination. Just looking forward to see what they do as well direction they take and hopefully its good

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back