The Restored United States of America Flag

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by FrankWalker, Jul 5, 2015.

1. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

I know "The Postman" may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have a soft spot for it. I've always liked the flag and thought it'd be a simple prop. I recently rediscovered an old flag I had and decided today I'm going to make this prop that I've always wanted... So many pics to come, as this will be a one day build, haha. Stay tuned!
    fic(post.gif the-postman.9126.jpg

2. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interesting. Good luck with this. I remember liking the novel.

3. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the movie. and I love props. but i'm just a little shy on altering the american flag.

4. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Great movie, with a lot it filmed about 4 miles from where I live.

FrankWalker likes this.
  5. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Made some pretty good progress today. Didn't get to complete it, some things came up, but I did get the star cut out, as well as all the letters. Went to the fabric store and found a fabric very close in color, and even texture. Dyed it with a tiny bit of brown fabric dye which brought it a little closer to the original color. But even then, in the film, the additions to the flag stand out as newer... My goal is to sew it all together tomorrow.

20150705_170051.jpg 20150705_195857.jpg

6. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Also scored these two beauties on ebay today... The jacket is accurate, the only different on the hat is where this one has a 3, the screen used hat has a guy riding a horse. The rest of the badge is accurate...

$_57-2.JPG $_57.JPG
    ThePostman-Still8.jpg

7. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Always thought this was a way under appreciated Film

FrankWalker likes this.
  8. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

image682968.jpg

I need to take some of the structure out of my hat so I can get that fold and get it broken down!

9. Duncanator

Duncanator Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this film too. It had some campy bits (but so did Star Wars) but some well written stuff too.

FrankWalker likes this.
  10. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

Well, I originally had thought about just grabbing the sewing machine and doing the letters... But then I thought, well they'd be hand sewn. So I started doing that, and I love how it looks, but christ this'll take me forever. Good thing there's no rush, haha.

20150706_231403.jpg 20150706_231410.jpg

11. Starwoid

Starwoid Well-Known Member

Love the movie. Hold it dear to my heart since my dad has been a postman for close to thirty years, plus I love Costner. This is a wonderfully thought out prop. Great to see something old school on here for once.

FrankWalker and ShadoWorx like this.
  12. bikemancs

bikemancs Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed this movie. Especially since I'm a Minnesotan and they said the new government was setting up in the Metrodome.

FrankWalker likes this.
  13. FrankWalker

FrankWalker Member

It's coming along. Now with Comic Con out of the way, I can get back to sewing on those letters... I did however get my jacket and hat in! Oh the fun!! One day, it'll be a great costume to wear to a Con, and better believe I will carry the flag with me!