The Relic "Kothoga" Movie Prop

Yep, Celluclay can be be a bit tough to work with, and is really only decent for roughing in stuff. It's quite popular in the modeling community for roughing in landscapes on model bases, as it's lumpy texture usually aids in simulating rough, muddy terrain.

One of my favourite movies, and a great design by Stan Winston. Good to see some progress pics. You did a great job with it. :thumbsup

Yep, Celluclay can be be a bit tough to work with, and is really only decent for roughing in stuff. It's quite popular in the modeling community for roughing in landscapes on model bases, as it's lumpy texture usually aids in simulating rough, muddy terrain.

Yeah, I can see the benefits of this material, and I may have worked it too much and that might have caused the issues, but I probably won't be using it that way again

Finally got the piece painted, here it is.

8927332772_3c562ea888_z.jpg

8927332712_64e603b950_z.jpg

8926719503_34b7fd70b9_z.jpg

8926719425_d33c1cef7a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Just got finished my paint up of my raw cast (though it's the cleanest darn "raw" cast I've yet come across - I did ZERO work on it before painting). Love this thing. I painted it 3 different shades of grey - one as base coat, the other two as drybrush.

MbwunStatue1_zps1800ba1e.jpg
MbwunStatue3_zpsc45d7153.jpg

MbwunStatue5_zps23cae81f.jpg
MbwunStatue7_zpsdd58d383.jpg

And a bit more atmospheric:

MbwunStatue2_zps4d2184a6.jpg
MbwunStatue4_zps4a87398d.jpg

MbwunStatue6_zps81b11846.jpg
MbwunStatue8_zpseae1cbd1.jpg

Fantastic work on the sculpt. :thumbsup

right on! your's looks great. I think you did a better job painting it as your's has less color and looks more like the relic in the movie, thanks for the kind words about the cast, glad it wasn't much work for you to get going

curious about what you filled with, if you used cement maybe to give it weigh, the original was about 10 lbs but the casts I've done so far are much lighter and just don't have the same feel so I'm floating the idea of filling it with something other than high density foam

thanks for posting your pics!

I haven't filled it with anything. As it is, it's really sturdy and it's just going to sit on display, so I don't think it needs it. The only things I've ever bothered filling are with large vinyl kits, latex masks or very thinly cast resin kits.

the small version is great for the book, it was always said it was a small statue.
Btw in the movie they should have had a Pendergast

Was just thinking about this thing this morning after seeing Alan Castillos newest collection piece. The little statue caught my eye and started the gears turning but then, here it is. Beautiful as can be. WOW I love this forum!

I saw Alan Castillos new collection addition this morning and thought how cool it would be to have the statue and here it is! An amazing job!!!! Wow how I love this forum and all its amazing members!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back