The Predator (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Sep 12, 2018.

?

What did you think of The Predator?

1. It was great. Loved it.

8.1%
  2. It was good. Liked it very much.

24.3%
  3. It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

10.8%
  4. It was disappointing.

16.2%
  5. It was bad.

40.5%
  1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I’m there tonight

3. Apollo

Just got back, critics are drubbing it but I enjoyed the hell out of it! :thumbsup

4. mikid

mikid Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Waiting for show.....

5. mikid

mikid Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Enjoyed it ... a little different than others but started a new direction... will say that all of the other Predator movies are better, but different tske

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. Apollo

There is quite a few things that were wrong with it, but I thought it was a half decent sequel to Predator-2

Nothing will EVER beat the first.

IMO there are only, Predator, Predator-2, and The Predator.

The rest do not even exist

B-Movie Zombie likes this.
  7. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

You didn't like PredatorS? I thought it was the 2nd best of the whole lot (nothing will top the original, of course).

8. Apollo

Hated it, I’m sure a great many will hate this new installment as well!!

The Pet-ator was indeed cringe worthy! :lol

kristen jones and cayman shen like this.
  9. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

personally, i was quite disappointed.

I rather liked the "fugitive" predator... but that's not surprising, as it looked basically like the preds we've seen previously, and it's actions--while in some places a good bit more violent--were very cool, and very much in keeping with what's been established in the other films.

The "Pred Dogs" were dumb, IMO. Why did they have dreds? Seriously? Did they think they needed to have dreds for us to get that they were with the preds? UGGHH

The Assassin Predator wasn't quite as bad as I had feared. He mostly looked OK...though the closeup CGI on him looked really bad. The chief problem I had with him was that they felt the need to push everything to eleven and try to outdo any previously seen predator. At one point Olivia Munn (the SCIENTIST, remember...) says "He was able to grow an Exo-Skeleton under his skin!" I'm no scientist, but even *I* know that makes it an ENDO Skeleton, Ms. Munn.

I just don't see why all of the "upgrades" were necessary. The Preds are already the baddest thing out there, generally. They hunt for sport, and when they find an opponent which can best them on even terms, their respect is won. This is what we know... this is what has been shown all along. Not so, here. in this movie, we are given a silly story in which "global warming" is wrecking our planet, and so the preds have to hurry and collect the best of our DNA before we all kill ourselves (leftist political nonsense) so that they can upgrade themselves genetically. I don't know why they need to upgrade themselves... or why they think our DNA is the best thing to do that with?

The very ending--with the "Pred Killer Suit" A.K.A. "Predator/War Machine" was over-the-top awful!!! I could sorta kinda hang with the rest of it... but that was the final nail in the coffin.

I was so hopeful that having Shane Black involved was going to keep most of the film within the realm of what made the first one so good. But despite his frequent re use of P1 music and even some callbacks to it, overall this just doesn't cut it, IMO.

I actually think i enjoyed AVP:R better, as crazy as that sounds. The Wolf, at least, was a far better adversary than the "Assassin Pred".

I hope you guys liked it. :/

Axlotl, Snikt and Apollo like this.
  10. Apollo

I was lmao at that!

I went in with really very low expectations and for me I think Shane was having a little fun and was spoofing the franchise in a lot of ways

11. JiminSTLouis

JiminSTLouis Sr Member

AWFUL!

Snikt likes this.
  12. JBLAKE

JBLAKE Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly for your well thought out and written review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I was hoping to read a wiki overview on this movie but this was so much better. I thoroughly enjoyed the first predator movie and thought the second was good as well. I was hoping as you said that having Shane Black involved would bring it back to the original realm. From reading your review you hit all the points I would have cared about and I didn't even see them movie :)

I Sincerely Thank You for the review and saving me from the disappointment it sounds it is. JB

kristen jones likes this.
  13. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

sigh...... it started off well I was ready to give it the benefit of the doubt.....then it's just got kind of nuts....then incoherent.... then just WAY too busy like they couldn't figure out how to end the film or what it was trying to be.

so yeah I was disappointed the franchise strip mining continues :( Just tell a coherent story please :cry

Snikt and kristen jones like this.
  14. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

“You’re one beautiful mother f**ker”

“Get to the choppers”

And then end..... was that a power ranger suit ? Hope it comes in 42 Long.....

Snikt and kristen jones like this.
  15. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

Just got back from The Predator.I'd be hard pressed to call it a good movie. It really is just an ok movie.

It feels overwritten and lacks the concise concept and premise of theoriginal Predator or even Predator 2 or Predators.​

The Shane Black humor and the chemistry and banter between the criminalcharacters saves the movie quite a bit.​

There is that one scene during trick or treat that steals the entireshow.​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  16. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I was expecting the worst based on you guys. I actually enjoyed it. Yes there are some roll your eyes wtf moments but I liked it more than PredatorS. I was happy to see Jake B. In there too.

17. blueunit1701

blueunit1701 Active Member

Points that annoyed me:

Domesticated Pred-dog. Why, JUST WHY :facepalm

Jake Busey was wasted, I thought they would have gone for a revenge arc.

Apparently if you whip your under-crackers off a predator will not kill you, noted for future reference :cool

The Pred-killer suit looked awesome, but why would a Predator fashion such a device, or am I missing something :confused

But in all honestly it's not a terrible movie and I did enjoy it for the most part and I hope it get's it's sequel.

18. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Kids in movies have to be done well, and in this instance it was NOT. I really wish he didnt try and tackle autism as being "the next stage in human evolution", thought that was so ridiculous. The whole baseline of the story that they were collecting our DNA, and the rogue predator trying to "help us" despite the fact he was wasting dudes left and right from his escape from the lab. Olivia Munns character was insufferable, the end was atrocious, the random pitbull left us scratching our heads. Like Shane Black was like "Hey kids, people with autism, and pitbulls are cool!" :sickI dont get why its so hard to make a predator movie with a cool story.

Some things I DID like were the call backs to the movies, the practical gore(the CG gore looked like *) the subtitles of the predators communicating, and the practical suit of the traitor predator. So many things that were annoying though. Mostly with Olivia munns scientist, knowing she had plot armor, her finding the cloaking ball, then running to the ship, then attacking the mega predator all in the span of a couple mins? Her knowing how to shoot every gun in the movie!? Her being a mouthbreather? Drove me nuts.

19. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It was a crappy movie, but I enjoyed it for the entertainment factor. The first half was great, though!

My problems:
    1) Waaaay too much swearing and vulgarity.
    2) The fire alarm had a huge effect on the boy, but gunfire did nothing?
    3) The CGI...so bad.
    4) If the first predator wanted to help the humans, why did he kill two dozen of them?

Otherwise, I was entertained. :)

20. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

21. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That article... pretty much hits all the points.

What a silly, silly movie.

22. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

23. Dreddful

That article was really good, EXCEPT, they ask:

"11. Did Sterling K. Brown get cut to pieces or did he live to chew another thousand pieces of Nicorette gum?"

The dude got his head blown off by his own predator shoulder cannon he was wearing! Pretty sure he's not gonna make it.

EDIT: The article clarified it.

24. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

I can't vote in this poll as I thought it was okay, but wasn't displeased by it.

25. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

I walked out when they befriended the alien dog. It was so bad I was expecting Chris Hansen to sit down next to me.

hansenlol.jpg

I did think the jokes on the bus were funny, but yes, it was too vulgar.

26. JiminSTLouis

JiminSTLouis Sr Member

In the motel room scene, I think the writers had a contest to see how many times they could get away with using the “P” word (kitty cat) in 30 seconds.

27. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow what a stinker. Just wow.

28. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

I have a potted plant in my living room that could have written a better Predator movie!. You have to try really hard to screw it up this badly!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    joeranger likes this.
  30. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

Yep. I love the trust fund kid reference. :)

31. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

So I watched it again. One of my questions was why was fugitive killing everyone. He only killed the 'bad' guys who had him sedated and wanted his tech. He motioned to the good guys to drop their weapons. He wasn't trying to kill them. I wondered why they were willing to kill Olivia Munn but it is because she stole the vial of fluid they had extracted out of the fugitive. She had said before they were keeping her in the dark about it. I also wondered how the father knew the combination to the pred ship door. He scoped in on his son entering it. Other things: You can see the pred dog escape the trailer when the ship self-destructs. They shoe-horned a scene where main good guy grabs his stomach and is immediately seen leaving the RV after a toilet flushing sound. I guess this was to explain the stealth tech he used later on.

32. ooSuperman23

ooSuperman23 Well-Known Member

I just got home a bit ago from seeing this with my brother (in Dolby Cinema @ AMC for free with my AMC A-List membership :D), and we both enjoyed the movie quite a bit :thumbsup (there were things we both disliked, but nothing major).

Unfortunately the whole experience was almost ruined by some (shameless) couple though...long story short they were already seated when we first walked inside the theater, and they were doing something they should not be doing anywhere but at home (I won't go into details, but let's just say she had her head "on his lap"). My brother said something immediately, and at first I didn't believe him, but unfortunately there was no mistaking it :sick What made it worse is that they were sitting in the seats directly behind the seats we had reserved (the best/center seats in the auditorium). I tried to bite my tongue, as they did immediately stop when they saw us, but I blurted out "Classy" in a sarcastic voice when we got to our seats. After that I was very tempted to go speak to the manager, as I felt extremely uncomfortable with them behind us, but before I could even decide they both got up and left the auditorium, and thankfully they never returned.

Perhaps I sound like a jerk, but for some reason the whole thing really * me off :angry (I've done similar things before, but that was when I was a dumb teenager, and I made sure that I was never caught :lol).

33. Dreddful

Yes. That whole scene was cringe-worthy.

mcoractual likes this.
  34. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How does crap like this make it actually into production? I mean *. There were some decent parts, but by far there was way too much stupid. The ending I don't think could have been stupider. They should have kept the Dutch returns ending, way better than that dumb Iron Man rip.

Snikt, mcoractual and kristen jones like this.
  35. mcoractual

mcoractual Well-Known Member

This movie just ruins everything that comes before it retroactively. In addition, they completely erode the suspension of disbelief with about every other scene in this movie. The humor in this movie was so off-putting and disjointed from the other tones of this movie. It was like extreme Cocaine use on Black's part made him forget what he was doing halfway through doing it.

This movie changed the entire lore of the Predators, making the reason they collect skulls. They aren't for trophies! (despite having a * trophy wall in Predator 2). While AVP makes people foam at the mouth - the first movie shows these alien hunters as honor-bound, trophy collecting warrior hunters. The fact that they have been changed into DNA modifying space invaders (global warming subplot) has betrayed the source material to the highest order. They didn't make this as being a small faction in the movie - they had the Assassin Predator (who was tracking/hunting Fugitive Predator) talk to the other Predators by saying he was hunting "the traitor." It is assumed that this is the new norm now with the movie.

Why would a Predator "betray" their race? I understand the concept of bad bloods, but this is much different. If Fugitive came to earth to help us - why the hell does he cut down every single human he comes in contact with for the majority of his screen time? Armed base troopers, unarmed scientists, etc. Nobody is safe except naked Olivia Munn.

How does autism (ASD withstanding) count as a survival trait that Predators would want? The hell? Predators are already masters of technology - they have successfully folded space to travel giant distances in short periods of time, have plasma laser guns, and cloaking technology.

Why does a nailgun shot to the head rewire how Predoggos work? Suddenly it's not hostile anymore? It's a derpy friendly gear-barfing carrying case? I don't understand. Why?

And what the heck was with Olivia Munn's character? I know she was trying hard, but she was no Ripley. She went from an academic scholar of science to a grenade-launcher shooting 80's commando! Where the heck was all the years of military training that she had between the start and end of the movie? Firearms training takes a great deal of skill and practice to master to become effective with any of those weapons. Keep in mind - this is the same character from earlier in the movie, who shot herself in the foot with a tranquilizer gun and tried to shoot our heroes with a gun she believed to be loaded. Let that sink in. I wouldn't trust her with a squirt gun.

And the "predator killer" - dafaq? This whole concept was terribad. Because Black did Iron Man 3, he couldn't think of anything else besides an iron man suit knockoff? The CGI in this movie looked like B-movie quality for the majority. Especially in the 3rd act. Bleh. Practical > CGI.

This movie only works if you are drunk, have never seen a Predator movie, and enjoy "kitty cat" jokes every five seconds. If you are looking for anything of substance from the prior movies... avoid at all costs. This is an unmitigated disaster of untold proportions. The box office has reflected this flop.

Production Budget: $88 million
    Domestic Total (as of Sept. 30th): $47,634,251
    Foreign Total: $$68,205,449
    Combined: $115, 839, 449

Keep in mind with money-making as it comes to movies... I think it's something like 60% that goes to covering costs. After that, the rest goes to profit.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Snikt likes this.
  36. annanake

annanake Sr Member

It missed the Shakespeare like prose of Arnold yelling "Yaii" "yahahii" ... "UhYaiihhii" Every time he fights .

oota goota and Clutch like this.
  37. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

I finally saw and... It was better than AVP-R, but that's not saying much. While there was so much wrong with it, I still enjoyed it for mindless entertainment it is. Sure, it could've been better. Heck, it should've been better. But it didn't feel like I wasted money seeing it, so I guess it's got that going for it.

38. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

Just saw this, I want to unsee it.

Absolute stinker, a whole movie set up for an Iron Predator suit!

39. blewis17

blewis17 Sr Member

This thing showed up and bombed out fast....

mcoractual and Snikt like this.
  40. patrickivan

patrickivan Active Member

Well...

It almost started off kind of well enough. And then...

Well...

Um.

Some movies you will watch again. Some you may. This is neither.

mcoractual and kristen jones like this.
  41. FathomRequiem

FathomRequiem Member

Just saw this. I thought the same thing... started off ok, got a little bit cheesy, then just plain ridiculous. I'll just forget that happened.

mcoractual and kristen jones like this.
  42. darylvanhorne

darylvanhorne New Member

It was fun and I liked how they dropped in little homages to the original here and there.

43. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Attached Files:

44. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER