The Place Beyond the Pines (2013,RYAN GOSLING OUTFITS)

joelgoodson

Sr Member
Hi, I know the movie hasn't come out yet, but it sounds awesome and in the same vein as DRIVE. Once again, Erin Benach is the costume designer.

Synopsis:
motorcycle stunt rider considers committing a crime in order to provide for his wife and child, an act that puts him on a collision course with a cop-turned-politician.

Thus, I'm currently slowly trying to come up with the different costumes. So far I got the Metallica shirt, and cut the collar just like the one in the movie.

Ryan-Gosling-the-place-beyond-the-pines.jpg

Overtime I will also be looking for the leather pants, boots as well as this jacket :

Gosling-Place-Beyond-Pines-HR.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this over on filmjackets.com, but I figured I'd post it here as well.

The jacket is from Firstgear (Hein Gericke). The pants are from International Baggyz. The helmet is a matte black Bell MX1 with the visor and decals removed. The white/grey jeans are from Ralph Lauren, but I don't know if they're from a previous or current production, and I haven't been able to find them.

Beware of a subtle variation on the jacket from Firstgear. You want to look for the one with elasticized cuffs that have zip and snaps. Jacket:

Pants which were actually purchased from this store:

Retro 1980s Pants: 80s deadstock vintage -International Baggys- Mens black and white cotton skull and crossbone print totally 80s pants with two inset hip pockets and enough sass to get you into even the most prestigious of dive bars. Imagine hopping

Helmet:

Bell - MX-1 Matte Black Helmet - BTO Sports

Also, here's his Metallica Ride The Lightning T-Shirt with graphics on the front and back:

Vintage METALLICA Tshirt/ ORIGINAL1989/ 1987 by sweetVTGtshirt ... pe=vintage

I have plenty of reference images if anyone needs any.

Again, I posted this over on filmjackets.com, but I'll post it here as well:

Here's an update:

Today I received the jacket from the link I posted earlier:

There were two versions of this jacket made. The company on ebay has two separate listings; one with pictures of the correct jacket and one with pictures of the incorrect jacket. The one pictured in the auction above is the correct one. In actuality, they're sold out of the correct one. It was just a mix up on their end. It's still a great jacket, and seeing how it fits me well, and I'm not sure if I'll come across the correct one in my size in such good (NWT) condition, I'm thinking about keeping it. Anyway, just thought I'd keep anyone who's interested up to date on it. Let me know if anyone comes across any other pieces from the film.

Again, I posted this over on filmjackets.com, but I'll post it here as well:

Here's an update:

Today I received the jacket from the link I posted earlier:

There were two versions of this jacket made. The company on ebay has two separate listings; one with pictures of the correct jacket and one with pictures of the incorrect jacket. The one pictured in the auction above is the correct one. In actuality, they're sold out of the correct one. It was just a mix up on their end. It's still a great jacket, and seeing how it fits me well, and I'm not sure if I'll come across the correct one in my size in such good (NWT) condition, I'm thinking about keeping it. Anyway, just thought I'd keep anyone who's interested up to date on it. Let me know if anyone comes across any other pieces from the film.

I can't tell by the picture but is that a side zipper like the one in the film?..and what size are you, because I was tempted to buy it but the jacket being in women's threw me off

I can't tell by the picture but is that a side zipper like the one in the film?..and what size are you, because I was tempted to buy it but the jacket being in women's threw me off

They're actually vents, but yes it has two in the front like the movie. Like I stated above, the picture is of the correct jacket, but they're out of stock, so they'll send you the variation. The features that make it incorrect are:

No black corduroy lining on collar
No exterior snap pockets
Horizontal seam on back is on the upper back instead of mid back
Back zippers half the length they should be
Only zippers on cuffs instead of zippers, elastic and snaps
No horizontal seam across arms
No shoulder stitching (sort of like raglan)

The jacket fits me well. I'm a slim 36R with a 29in waist. The sleeves are short, but not comically, there's just no gathering at the wrists. It's a snug but not uncomfortable fit. Theres quite a bit of room in the chest because it's intended for women, but it doesn't look strange. It's quite snug at the waist because of the elastic, and it wears a bit high in the back. I think a 38 might be hard pressed to fit into it, but it's just right for me. If you don't mind spending the extra money, there's a medium of the SA version on Etsy:

Vintage 80s Hein Gericke red leather cafe racer style by antique

Let me know if you have any other questions.

They're actually vents, but yes it has two in the front like the movie. Like I stated above, the picture is of the correct jacket, but they're out of stock, so they'll send you the variation. The features that make it incorrect are:

No black corduroy lining on collar
No exterior snap pockets
Horizontal seam on back is on the upper back instead of mid back
Back zippers half the length they should be
Only zippers on cuffs instead of zippers, elastic and snaps
No horizontal seam across arms
No shoulder stitching (sort of like raglan)

The jacket fits me well. I'm a slim 36R with a 29in waist. The sleeves are short, but not comically, there's just no gathering at the wrists. It's a snug but not uncomfortable fit. Theres quite a bit of room in the chest because it's intended for women, but it doesn't look strange. It's quite snug at the waist because of the elastic, and it wears a bit high in the back. I think a 38 might be hard pressed to fit into it, but it's just right for me. If you don't mind spending the extra money, there's a medium of the SA version on Etsy:

Vintage 80s Hein Gericke red leather cafe racer style by antique

Let me know if you have any other questions.

So I just ordered the jacket off of etsy cause its such a good match (and bigger since I'm lean and 6'2) but ill let you guys know when I get it and post pics

Thanks Johnny by the way

Here's the one I have. Again, it's not the correct one. I think this jacket was called the 'California ll' and the correct one was the earlier version called the 'California', but I could be wrong.

Here's the one I have. Again, it's not the correct one. I think this jacket was called the 'California ll' and the correct one was the earlier version called the 'California', but I could be wrong.

So the one off etsy would have been the 'California'?

And yeah now I see what you meant when you said the back vents didnt extend

Good work Jonny! I'm desperately after one myself...whats the colour like in person? Please let me know if you notice any others pop up online, the one on ebay wont deliver to the uK :(

Thanks Tommy! It's a pretty potent red in person. I think the pictures of me in the mirror are a pretty accurate representation. What size are you after?

Well I'm 6ft, well built, 34" waist so I guess a large? Yeah it looks really vibrant! Hopefully if i get my hands on one I'll beat it up a bit! haha :)

Cheers again

This one may be your best bet:

It's the version I have (the non-SA one) but it's your size, a pretty good price and they ship worldwide. It's possible that as more people begin to know what this is, the prices might get higher. I'm very happy with mine, although I am keeping my eyes peeled for the correct one in my size.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back