The Phantom Belt and Gun build

Phantom22

Ok so I have always been a Phantom fan and have always wanted to own some of the props, I decided to make my own. The guns I am using are Rock Island 1911 .45's, bought the stock G.I. grips to put on, trying to track down the extended slides and barrels. Bought a belt buckle from reelart and having a cobbler making a belt from screen grabs. The only thing I am trying to figure out is how could I re-create the skulls on the sides of the holsters? Are they stitched on or are they leather worked? any help would be appreciated. Also bought a set of rings off of ebay. I know a member here used to make the skulls of Touganda, sucks I missed it. Anyway here are the pics of what I have right now. Should have the buckle in next week, and will post pictures of the progress of the belt.
photo.jpg

I got the other ring in today, as well as the G.I. grips for the guns. Belt Buckle came today but have to get it tomorrow. Will start making the belt tomorrow as well. Here is an updated picture.
photo3.jpg

Great project, im probably going to use a local cobbler for a similar though non Phantom gig, will be watching your progress with great interest.

Thanks. Here is the belt buckle. Going to start making the belt this week. Anyone have any ideas on how they put the skulls on the sides of the holsters? Is it leather worked, or a separate piece sewn on? Cant find any pictures of it.
photo4.jpg

That buckle looks awesome! I own a Rock Island too, you might have some trouble with aftermarket parts for it. I've ran into a few problems modding my RIA, for some reason its not shaped like most 1911's.

Thank you for the heads up. I learned a little gun-smithing in the military, so I am hoping I wont run into any serious problems. Shot it and was only 2 inches off center mass at ~25 yards. Not bad.

After working on it for a few weeks here is a rough finished belt. Have a few things I need to tweak. Attached as well is a picture of the leather worked skull on the holsters. Not quite done yet.

photo32.jpg

photo5.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Phantom Buckle that is a little bit more rustic and handmade in appearance. Mine is metal and weighs a ton. I've been prepping to cast the sucker to do a resin cast. If interested PM me.
100_1375.jpg

100_1379.jpg

100_1376.jpg

I've got the reelart buckle on my Phantom rig , but I blued mine and knocked it back with wire wool to age it..my rig is the comic version inspired by Don Newton the GREATEST Phantom artist ever..also the skulls are on my Colt grips, not on the holsters..

I've got the reelart buckle on my Phantom rig , but I blued mine and knocked it back with wire wool to age it..my rig is the comic version inspired by Don Newton the GREATEST Phantom artist ever..also the skulls are on my Colt grips, not on the holsters..
Any chance of seeing your rig? I'd love to see the buckle blued, and of course, I want to see a comic version.

I take it your a PHAN,like me..the buckle stripes run the opposite way than the comic, but in the very first story 1936 the skull belt symbol appears in the corner of the page and they run like this buckle..it is passed from father to son so I wanted it to look old..I'm doing comic pages of this character and use my belt for REF..if you want to see the art mail me ..

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back