The Orville

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by BrundelFly, Jan 17, 2019.

1. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone gonna attempt one?

Besides me?

Bengrim09 and tgreco like this.
  2. MangyDog

MangyDog Well-Known Member

well they made a studio model for shooting... So its at least possible... Though without good blue prints or references the whole quantum arch things are going to be tricky...

3. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Fantastic Plastic had a pretty accurate kit before they got hit by the C&D. If you could find one of those for a reference it would help a lot I think. You could contact Allen and see if he might divulge the kit masters ID and see if he might share his info.

The Orville is a very difficult ship to get right with all those compound curves- I have seen a lot of bad Shapeway attempts...

4. Duncanator

Duncanator Well-Known Member

I have been entertaining the idea of a build, but finding enough reference to help sorting out all those curves has stumped me so far.
    What reference are you going by?

5. Fett_Ish

Fett_Ish Well-Known Member

Thank you for stating this as it made me google and check it out on VFX blog (as well as some other cool stuff) I was turned off in the first season by the low quality of the CG model in a couple shots where I could see the low poly edges on the rear engines (as a 3D artist I am always looking for edges and mirroring/replication of textures as they are easiest to spot). I don't know if the wrong model was put to render or they needed it to render quickly and went with the low rez on purpose, and now I'm even more perplexed as there is an actual model. I have been watching this season and the space effects are pretty good for TV.

6. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thought about it, but so much other stuff on my list I wouldn’t have time for 2019, I’ve been searching for a 3D print but nothing is available, I also saw the kit on fantastic plastic ( great) ahhhh ! then I saw the CnD notice
    It’s a beautiful ship, beautiful curves, a 3 footer would do me fine.
    I’m just learning 3D cad so this is way out of my remit for a printable design

But one day she will be mine

7. MangyDog

MangyDog Well-Known Member

Ahhhaa same as a 3D modeler, yeah theres a undershot stock flyby that really badly shows off the segmentation of the lower rings on there curve... Really quite shoddy modeling there if you asked me D:, heck even if its in the model, If i was setting up that shot i would have at lease chamfered off those most noticeable bits that pass the camera. Just for the shot.

Fett_Ish likes this.
  8. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Considering the nature of that show there is a chance those flaws were deliberately placed there...

9. BrundelFly

I have two kits, one by Fantastic Plastic, and one other. Both are very nice, but slightly different.
    Yes, and FP NO Longer sells the kit. The other person still does. I have pics of the studio build, and Im working on getting more.
    I also have a lead on the file from two different sources. I dont plan on kitting it, just a couple of build ups.

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

I am really hoping the C&Ds are a preemptive attack clearing the field for some official merchandising. Pegasus would be a natural for a kit of the Orville since they did such a great job with the GQ Protector.

I know I am dreaming, but the show is pretty popular and there's money to be made off of it...

11. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

12. Duncanator

Excellent pictures! Great close ups of the top.

13. Flyscriber

Flyscriber Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, oh yeah. Awesome stuff swhite228.

14. BrundelFly

Great Stuff Thanks!
    Notice it is more METALIC looking in Season two. I like this original look.

15. BrundelFly

Here is some reference you might enjoy...
    side45.jpg top.jpg bottom.jpg

16. Duncanator

Those are very helpful to see how all the loops interact. Did you draw this a computer model?

17. BrundelFly

Nope!!
    Which is why it’s really really accurate.

Ha!
    Enough said.

Joseph C. Brown likes this.
  18. alensatemybuick

alensatemybuick Jr Member

Cool render

19. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Just got the DVD and have thoroughly enjoyed watching the first few episodes. I really like the designs in this.