Limited Run The Orville Pistol MAJOR UPDATE & LAST CALL

MAJOR update incoming shortly (and I'll be posting a proper 'build thread too'). The master pattern is basically finished and being test-printed, just some internal parts to take care of for the electronics. Right now I'm very happy with what's coming out of the printer... might actually have outdone most of my previous kits with this one. Once I post the next update here, I'll probably need to start collecting either deposits or declarations of firm commitment to the run because we might be ordering all electronics to save on time and cost. (And since this kit will use at least three types of resins, I need to sort that as well.) Stay tuned...

MAJOR update incoming shortly (and I'll be posting a proper 'build thread too'). The master pattern is basically finished and being test-printed, just some internal parts to take care of for the electronics. Right now I'm very happy with what's coming out of the printer... might actually have outdone most of my previous kits with this one. Once I post the next update here, I'll probably need to start collecting either deposits or declarations of firm commitment to the run because we might be ordering all electronics to save on time and cost. (And since this kit will use at least three types of resins, I need to sort that as well.) Stay tuned...
Excitement has washed over me. Thank you for all your persistence on this!

Excitement has washed over me. Thank you for all your persistence on this!

Thanks. And I'm actually nearing the end just as the season is wrapping up! Well, for the main kit parts at least. Electronics will take a few more weeks. In the meantime I'm going to be re-checking interest here so that we can crunch some numbers. (I can't have my programmer do a bunch of work if the overall interest is gone. I wanted one of these anyway, but he's not a prop enthusiast.)

I also set up a proper build thread for posterity, so all those kinds of updates will be documented there:
The Orville PM-44 pistol build

Count me in for TWO kits + electronics.
My business partner may commit to one as well, but he will have to speak for himself.

Build thread has been updated!
The programmer will have all the components early next week and will get started right away. I am working on the sound files, light defusers and interior button fittings. Very happy with the progress so far and I hope that this will be the end-all of accurate PM44 kits! Not long now. For those that might want a full kit, you need to get in on the run as soon as we start taking either orders or deposits- due to the number of components we need to get, and that programming each board needs to be done, the electronics will NOT be offered later. (We could still do them, but the cost would be a lot higher since we'd have to place special orders and do 'one offs'.)

This project has evolved far past what I could have hoped for. The level of thought put into not only the external design but the internal components is brag-worthy and certainly on par (if not better) than the studio props.
I can't wait to own a few of these.

Prepping paint samples for this beauty of a kit...
20190502_184720.jpg

Update!

It's going to be at least 2-3 weeks until the electronics have been programmed and tested, but the the kit is basically DONE. For those that ONLY want the high-end resin kit (no electronics) I will start taking orders soon. Just need to finalize a few things. For those that want the whole package, I want to wait until the electronics are confirmed working and I've had a chance to test-fit everything.

Changed from "interest" to "limited run" as this is definitely going ahead. Still working out the finals costs but it'll be available with or without electronics. Also, due to a high failure rate in printing, it looks like the grips will be an optional extra. Those that want only the pistols can get them very soon, those that want the whole package need to wait a few more weeks until we have the electronics programmed and tested. (Current plan is to have programming done before the end of May, then I need to do a full assembly.)

Do you 3D print every kit or print a master in separate parts and take a mold then resin cast them?
Each copy will be a direct 3d print. Some parts would be extremely hard (or impossible) to cast without changing them drastically and the small number of this run (vs the number of parts) wouldn't make it viable (or cheaper per unit) anyway- plus, the quality will be much higher as a photopolymer print than if I had cast them.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back