The Orville New Horizons Comm Scanner upgrade

It's the warping that's the problem because the model is a large, open, relatively thin part which isn't suited to a resin 3D print. Even if there was a lip, if the part is warped it won't keep the parts together with only 4 corner screws.
I'm going the PETG or Nylon route given its structural benefits and rigidity which is better suited to thinner parts.
I was thinking "the added lip" would be more about light bleed through the gap the two parts create,
not fixing the warp that shouldn't be there. :)
Of course, they would have to be printed without the warp in the first place.....
Anyway, good luck.

Last edited:
I've got some 1mm styrene I was going to spray paint black to add inside to block light leak as an added measure as I did with the original season 1 and 2 Comscanner I've made. Unfortunately with this model it is the warping that is the main hurdle.
Hopefully when the PETG parts arrive they won't be warped and progress can continue.
I didn't mean to sound dismissive, I appreciate your input propmaster2000

Testing out the display graphic on the wonky resin print.
20220824_112127.jpg

The missing black piece that fits into the cut out on the right hand side will be made from sheet styrene and acrylic.

Another lighting test, this time for the main screen and pop-up acrylic section. In person the clear pop-up section looks more lit, I think this will be more evident in photos when I lightly sand it to get the LED light to be more diffused. There will likely be 3 white LEDs for the main screen, one of which will be near the top of the prop internally aimed up at the pop-up screen which will cover the top third of the main display as well as the clear acrylic pop-up piece.
Still a lot of work to do to get this finished but slow and steady wins the race.
Orville Com Scanner Light Test.jpg

I thought I should post a quick update, the CommScanner in its semi finished state, sort of a static prop without all the lights and pop-up mechanisms.
I've got the pop-up mechanism set up I just need to work the electronics in which is going to be tight and I'm waiting on a clear 3D printed part for the lower right corner block which will light up blue.
Orville New Horizons Comscanner renaissance_man.jpg

Got the pop-up mechanism working nicely.

I haven't seen the show, but that is beautiful work. It's a great design, I really should watch the show. The popup head and lighting is really well done. Great work!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back