"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Gimpdiggity, May 15, 2017.

1. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just saw this trailer. Looks like it could be a fun comedy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    glunark likes this.
  2. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That looks pretty good. It's FOX though so anything that remotely smells like scifi is cancelled.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  3. cjchiu

cjchiu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So this is a new show? I'm confused. Is Jon Faveau directing the pilot?

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  4. 63Sierra

63Sierra New Member

Really funny trailer. I like McFarlanes stuff. Hope it doesn't get cancelled after the initial run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KojiroVance and Gimpdiggity like this.
  5. Jedioz

Jedioz Active Member

:thumbsdown
    wow ,what an original idea a parody of Star Trek , that's so original NOT

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    KojiroVance likes this.
  6. Gimpdiggity

Yes its it's a new series. Favreau is an executive producer on the series.

7. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, Yes and Yes. Make it so.....

YenChih Lin and Gimpdiggity like this.
  8. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I predict it is going to bomb commercially but be a great pleasure for a few.

On the other hand, there are many that have still not seen Hyperdrive or Galaxy Quest...

HEMADEW and Gimpdiggity like this.
  9. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

I'm looking forward to this but as others have already pointed out it may not last long since it is on Fox.

10. somerset fox

somerset fox Well-Known Member

Dear lord, remember when a trailer used to show the best bits of a movie or TV show to lure viewers in... I couldn't make it to the end of the trailer.

MooCriket likes this.
  11. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Yeah, I'm really hoping they just put the worst jokes into the trailer and are saving the good ones for the show....Because this looks really lame.

MooCriket and Axlotl like this.
  12. KojiroVance

KojiroVance Well-Known Member

I'll just cue up QUARK with Richard Benjamin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edge10 and gunnerk19 like this.
  13. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

On the plus side: the effects look good, the bridge looks so much better than the JJ-prise one, the alien crew aren't over the top or CGI - the Lt.Cmdr looks great, I'd rather have that as the new Klingons than the leaked images from Discovery. Also looks like a lot of good guest stars including a few faces from Trek.
    On the negative: McFarlane (and Fox) - I would hope this doesn't mean puerile, infantile, and scatological jokes... but then there's a toilet joke in the trailer, a 'nagging' ex wife and an all-male species that I wish I could believe will be written as thought-provoking social commentary but I fear will just be McFarlane's excuse for gay jokes. Also, it looks a LOT like a Galaxy Quest ripoff/reboot (Mind you, that wouldn't have been a bad thing, but sadly not without Alan Rickman)

See, the thing is I really don't like Family Guy, but I do like 90% of American Dad.... And Roger (and the whole Lost in Space episode) prove he can do 'alien' aliens and a character with a very fluid gender/sexual identity that isn't gross. So, I'm conflicted. I'll watch, and just hope that it's less of a parody, and more a straightforward Sci-Fi comedy (like Red Dwarf). Problem is, if it is any good, (and not offensive) chances are it'll be cancelled

YenChih Lin and karmajay like this.
  14. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

SO . . . he thinks marbles are mints? I just don't think McFarlane's writing is very good. Some times he's funny, but this one looks like a dud. I didn't even crack a smile during this trailer. Mostly I kept thinking "Galaxy Quest did that better" which is unfortunate. It's the kind of show I'd like.

edge10, MooCriket and KojiroVance like this.
  15. KojiroVance

It also seems that he's getting most/all of the laughs/funny lines in the trailer. Much of an ego, Seth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MooCriket likes this.
  16. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great looking show, Horrible name.

chrisd likes this.
  17. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I'll give it a chance

chrisd likes this.
  18. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

Props, phasers, screen grabs!!! Lets see them!!!

Attached Files:

19. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds great in principle, but I've hated everything MacFarlane has ever done, so it probably isn't for me.

edge10 likes this.
  20. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I cant help but see Captain Scarlet every time i see those uniforms. They even have the shoulder thingies!

SCARLSM.JPG

21. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't wait. I just hope if it does make it past the first season that it doesn't go the way of Family Guy, which I enjoyed, and push it too far.

chrisd likes this.
  22. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

That was just painful to watch. It's like he tried to copy Galaxy Quest minus the humor. Visually, it looks good, but the jokes were flat. Usually expect to see something in a trailer that ropes you in...for me, and I love just about everything Sci-Fi...it was a miss.

KojiroVance and Axlotl like this.
  23. glunark

glunark Sr Member

So I wonder how many of the people dismissing this as derivative will be tuning in for the sixth star trek tv show?

Axlotl and Gimpdiggity like this.
  24. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

There's a difference between derivative: copying/spoofing/insulting an established show, and world-building: which is what TNG, DS9 and Voyager (and even Enterprise when it wasn't * continuity) did
    I'm not sure which of those categories Discovery fits into yet, and I don't know if everyone is calling The Orville a Trek spoof simply because it's sci-fi comedy on a ship, or if it is ​that un-original

25. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A parody is derivative by design, so I'm okay with that.

Watched the trailer; I didn't laugh out loud but didn't despise it. With other creatives in the mix besides MacFarlane, it might have hope. I don't mind him as a person or a performer, just as a show creator/writer/runner. So we'll see.

26. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This looks like a high budget version of the YouTube series Voyage Trekkers with maybe some Galaxy Quest thrown in. This being a Fox show I expect it will be cancelled after a couple of episodes or last a few years.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  27. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

Derivative means you borrowed from another source. Trek is borrowing from itself, poorly, but it is.

And I'm looking forward to seeing this. Not enough fun sci-fi on TV, parody or no.

28. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    robn1 and Axlotl like this.
  29. KojiroVance

There's a whole thread about that, and the consensus is not good…

chrisd likes this.
  30. glunark

glunark Sr Member

I saw the trailer, it wasn't exactly inspiring.

31. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Seth, looks like we can agree to all of your terms except the parking spot. BUT we've crunched some numbers and if you were willing to give up any idea of comedic-timing, I think we can make that spot happen.

32. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

:lol:lol:lolThat is gold, Sir:thumbsup

dcarty likes this.
  33. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  34. Gimpdiggity

35. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

AJK001 and Gimpdiggity like this.
  36. AssCred

AssCred Active Member

As soon as I saw "Seth Mcfarlane" attached, and at the helm, I knew any hope of it being clever or actually comedic were impossible.

Angelus Lupus likes this.
  37. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He is so prolific and throws so much up against the wall wholesale every now and then something sticks.

38. AssCred

AssCred Active Member

Only when on a leash. When he has full control, we get modern Family Guy and 1000 Ways to Die in the West.

Most talented writers/comedians usually have a niche they specialize in; they don't employ the "throw everything at the wall" approach. To me, that's quite the opposite of prolific. It's desperation.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    AnubisGuard and Riceball like this.
  39. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I suspect this show will have a bit or two worth a laugh but I can't see this as some long sustainable series. Where do they go
    after the Trek parody novelty wears off? That's going to come really fast.

40. AssCred

AssCred Active Member

Completely agree, but even then, I feel you're giving it the best case scenario possible. Seems McFarlane is best used for one-shots or skits for SNL or something like that. He barely has enough 'ideas' otherwise to fill a single movie.

41. Gimpdiggity

I'm going to give it a chance. I've read quite a few things saying it's sci-fi first, and comedy second.

Riceball, AJK001 and MooCriket like this.
  42. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

I'm more inclined to give this a go than STD and I don't have to pay extra to watch it. I'm going to give both of them a chance at least for the pilot episodes. The thing I'm more concerned about is it being on FOX and their history of not giving Sci-Fi shows a chance before cancelling them. Anyone remember a show called Firefly?

43. NormanF

I saw two problems while reading that: Brannon Braga and Sunday. I don't know how much influence Braga had on the stories but when he was running the Star Trek shows it seemed like they frequently had what I called "radiation of the week". And with this being on Sunday the show will never start on time, at least on the east coast, because of football.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

MooCriket likes this.
  44. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I think that guy was the same guy on that show when they did the big ST auction years ago. He didn't even know what a tricorder was called. He said something about they would just have the solution of the week be to reprogram the tricorder, except he said something like "...reprogram the... what do you call it? Yeah tricorder."

MooCriket likes this.
  45. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

AJK001 likes this.
  46. NormanF

Sounds like Fox is doing another bang up job of marketing. I don't entirely trust reviews so I'll still give it a try.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

AJK001 and MooCriket like this.
  47. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I donno. Galaxy Quest set a pretty high bar.

MooCriket likes this.
  48. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

49. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

That review is written by someone who doesn't seem interested in traditional Trek. They might not understand what that audience wants, much like the STD showrunners.

I'm hoping it's good.

robn1 likes this.
  50. NormanF

robn1 likes this.