"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with Charly, she is somewhat annoying but tolerable. What I don't get is why she's in the scenes where they have a meeting with the senior officers/dept. heads. Isn't she a bit junior to be considered a senior officer or to be a dept. head?

Another good one.

They have indeed been too long, though. Not that there's a magic number of minutes----I welcome 74 minutes if they're tight. These weren't. The last third was Pad City. An extended and rousingly scored sequence of crewmembers walking down halls and aisles and sitting down? Okaaaayyy.

We really didn't need any of the scenes between Isaac volunteering and Topa waking up after the procedure.

Last edited:
I was wondering that as well, especially given how right-leaning many Orville fans seem to be. Which is even odder when you consider MacFarlane's political thought and how much of it is expressed in the show.

Oh boy, if they didn't take the bait with that episode, they certainly won't be able to miss the message of this one.

Really enjoyed this episode.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but references to Avatar (flying creature), Indy (flying projectile tomb boobytrap) and Batman (gauntlets) ? were great.
I loved seeing Isaac and the doctor coming around too.
It’s understandable that some viewers aren’t happy with the direction this season is, or has been going ( lack of humour, length of episodes etc...) , but I’m still a big fan and hoping that the series will continue beyond this one.

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit.

Agree with Treadwell that there could have been a bit less seeing people walk down hallways, but other than that I felt pacing was good in this one.

I thought the scene with Kelly and Klyden in her office was incredible. Adrianne Palicki gives off “f%#k around and find out” vibes all the time, so it’s nice to see her kind of flex that a bit. On top of that, the emotion portrayed in that scene was great.

I also liked Isaac’s interaction when Klyden entered the operating room. Everyone knows Isaac is not to be trifled with, including Isaac. The way he just stepped in front of Klyden was awesome.

Overall the episode was pretty heavy. Mature subject matter that resonates in the world today. If I had one nit to pick, I think they should’ve played up Bortus’s singing a little bit simply by having him sing something a bit ridiculous. Like, I’d have died if he’d have said “Dr Finn taught me this, it’s one of her favorites,” and then launched into “The Macarena”, or Miley Cyrus’s “Party In The USA,” but had it arranged as a classical piece with only the piano accompaniment.

As a side note, I hope Klyden is gone for good. He’s long been my least favorite character…which I feel is actually by design, they’ve written him to make us not like him. That said, I won’t be upset at all if we never see him again.

Agreed. I really liked this episode. And while, yes, it dealt with current social issues, I didn't feel like I was being preached to. That's the real problem with most shows now that try do deal with these types of issues. Everything is usually just "We're right, you're wrong and if you don't conform we will cancel you!"

I didn't get that at all from this episode. Good for the writers.

Klyden is like the early TNG era Worf of The Orville in the sense that everyone shuts him down instantly.
I agree, this was another great episode, handling an issue with nuance and balance, it felt like an episode of Star Trek.

They have indeed been too long, though. Not that there's a magic number of minutes----I welcome 74 minutes if they're tight. These weren't. The last third was Pad City. An extended and rousingly scored sequence of crewmembers walking down halls and aisles and sitting down? Okaaaayyy.

We really didn't need any of the scenes between Isaac volunteering and Topa waking up after the procedure.
Because of the exposition of seeing the ship became mostly empty except in one place, I almost expected something nefarious to happen, such as e.g. Isaac turning and locking them in and taking over the ship.

My only issue is really the Data issue. Data malfunctioned and put the ship at risk enough times that you’d not really keep him on there. Isaac is still dealing with the fallout from him and the Kaylon trying to wipe out the Union. Now he’s disobeyed them and performed a surgery against orders. Why would the Union possibly allow him to remain onboard.

Because of the exposition of seeing the ship became mostly empty except in one place, I almost expected something nefarious to happen, such as e.g. Isaac turning and locking them in and taking over the ship.
You'd still need a minimal crew. Who is flying the thing? Not everyone can go to a concert for crying out loud!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back