The Original Tramp

Man, that's brilliant! I'm surprised that it's on eBay though and not in a reputable auction house.

Cheers,

Kraig

To quote Joe Maddelena from ever episode of Hollywood Treasures...."That is the most iconic movie costume of all time!"

Something about that auction description doesn't sound right to me.
I'm going to look into it further, but they mention: "whilst they were filming for the Alfred Karno Company."

Fred Karno was a vaudeville producer Chaplin worked with before he got into film. The Tramp debuted when he was at Keystone studios.
Hrm.

Also doesn't match the Tramp's first official film appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2K3A1S5ak

Exactly. It would have nothing to do with The Tramp costume assembled in LA on his first days with Sennett.

It looks to me like they have assembled bits and pieces of purported Bille Ritchie costumes and are packaging it as this, meaning the cane and the shoes do not belong. That cane has been auctioned serveral times for little money.

Also, if memory serves, the original Ritchie costume was sold back in the 80s, in London, right from the family and came with letters.

rick

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back