The origin of Fan-made Predator Costumes

Tatsu

Pretty much self-explanatory question, I'm not sure if this is in the right area, but I didn't feel right posting it in the Completed Suit section. Is our "Father" Kit the first to make these suits outside of the Hollywood studios that did it first? Or do we simply not know? I imagine the further back you go, the more costly & complex it is to make one of these costumes.

Mods, Feel free to move this to the appropriate area. Any information is greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.

Thats a question for Andrew since hes been at the Pred stuff the longest out of anyone. Hes the "Elder" around here in more ways than one. :p

Yeah my collection is Pred only but Kit's the father of the lair and he started this madhouse. My collection would never have been possible if it weren't for him

the seed for the lair was planted when i first saw the end of P2, i knew it possible to create my own variation of the hunter

i'm not the first one to make a fan pred suit, i thought i was because i never had been able to find anything in regards to pred suit building.

i recall finding one person who had done it before anyone, and if you look at the suit thread he is called "the one"..he is at the very top. I'm sure there were others before the whole internet thing took off, but i've never been able to find documentation of them.

so a few years ago, i thought why not create a small little place for pred geeks like me to provide ideas and resources to help build these great movie monsters...
at first there were only like 10 of us on the lair...now we are 7,000 plus strong scattered all over the planet and growing every year.

very proud of all the work we have done here and this place will live on long past my years because the passion for these creatures is strong.

i've said this before but i'll say it again..

stan would be proud of us

the seed for the lair was planted when i first saw the end of P2, i knew it possible to create my own variation of the hunter

i'm not the first one to make a fan pred suit, i thought i was because i never had been able to find anything in regards to pred suit building.

i recall finding one person who had done it before anyone, and if you look at the suit thread he is called "the one"..he is at the very top. i'm sure there were others before the whole internet thing took off but i've never been able to find documentation of them.

so a few years ago i thought why not create a small little place for pred geeks like me to provide ideas and resources to help build these great movie monsters...
at first there were only like 10 of us on the lair...now we are 7,000 plus strong scattered all over the planet and growing every year.

very proud of all the work we have done here and this place will live on long past my years because the passion for these creatures is strong.

i've said this before but i'll say it again..

stan would be proud of us

Hits me good man. I've been on here a little while... I only wish I was here at the VERY beggining. Either way, I hope to contribute like mad to these forums for my years to come! :p It wouldn't have been at all possible without you guys. I love it!

i met dan through the RPF he was just as fanatical about preds as the rest of us.

after an incident with king jamie and his actions i felt like i didn't want to do this any longer. It really messed me up and also the fact that Ezboard was turning into yuku. dan said he would take all the content of the original forum and redesign and host the site on his server.

i felt it was a good move since i wasn't that savy when it came to that stuff, he asked me to stay on as senior admin. My fire almost went out but it was fanned by all the work that continued to be done and slowy got back into my game.

because of dan the lair has grown beyond what i could have ever imagine and the site took on a more refined and customized look.

massive props to dan for all his work over the years and my undying gratitude.

it's like a good bedtime story....wait let me get my blades to tuck you in with... :p

actually in all honesty to me, the lair is a perfect example of having a dream and going through with it. Never never ever let anyone tell you can't do something.

this place proves ...you can.

I give props to the both of you for taking your passions to the next level and allowing us to join in on the fun. I have been collecting Predator stuff since I was in the 7th grade and never could imagine I could have a Predator suit of my very own.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart :p

Wow. Kit I was unsuccessful in finding a "The One" thread, but I'm still going through Members & still looking hard. Could you have meant the Italian dude Diavolo Bianco? (Spelling) I know one of my FB buddies was inspired because the suit & armor were made out of buckets..

Looks like the origin of the suits has infact churned up a History of the Lair itself. I almost half expected it to & Kit's answers are just what I was waiting to see. I guess seeing not just P2, but all those Lost Hunters & the Greyback Elder was a real inspiration for Kit & Costumers everywhere. Big thanks to Dan seem to be in order so I'll post mine. I may be new, but I know when to show respect, for sure.

My hunt for "The one" is still on! :p

ha...that's a little heart you got there..

it's all good i've always thought a forum is only as good as the people who contribute to it..
and we've had some super ******* talented people walk through these halls, and continue to do so.

Long live The Hunters Lair!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
no thread just a pic

the one
theone.gif

Ahh, of course, I've def. seen that picture floating around before, had to have been in the main Completed Suits thread. Wow there's only 1 word for that.

Magnificient. Truly, truly Magnificient.

Later on when I think of it, I'll give Pete Mander a shout, see if he knows anything. How old is that suit, Kit?

older than the forum. so i would say over 10 years old...he used to be a member on the old lair but he dropped off board and i've never heard from him.

so even if you do this for a bit and move on ....we still keep a record of your works here it's all about inspiring the next gen of costume builders and artists...

no?

So what sort of stuff was made here when it 1st got up and running?

I am sure there are alot of questions about the 1st year of the lair we would love to see answerd.

hmmm what sort of stuff...

lets see it was mostly look at what i found to use for dreds or this works for a base for a shoulder cannon type of threads.

lots of conceptual and scratch building stuff.

the only people who starting building pred pieces were wolf morgan and pete mander.. Mander made his first suit from carpet foam. which was pretty cutting edge back in the day...

damn i'm really feeling old now :p retitle this thread the old farts of the lair

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back