The one that almost killed me… Accurate Obi ANH Crystal Reveal with CFLS

scottjua

Master Member
The big one… Accurate Obi ANH Crystal Reveal with CFLS

Man, I think I talk about this enough in the video to not write too much about it here, but I’ll try to be brief.

Alberto came to me last year with wanting to do his accurate Obi with CFLS sound board, LED string blade, and a crystal core reveal.

He drew a picture of what he envisioned the core to look like and sent me this:

img169.jpg

Right away I knew that I needed more structure to make sure it would be strong enough to display open, and work the mechanism to have it open and close… AND have a way to pass through all the wiring this build would require. So I would need to make the tubes pass-throughs, and with the scale of the core in an accurate Obi the horizontal tubes would be problematic, and possibly render the crystal unseeable.

I DID try different things with wires going around the crystal but they just mucked it up visually or caused problems with the opening and closing. I chose to keep it more simple since this crystal core is so small and compact.

I realize this is a departure from his drawing but we will try to get closer to that on the next one we do.

SO… this require maximum use of every spare mm inside. The booster was bored to the maximum, and I scratch machined everything inside.

We used A mix of Russ and Roman parts, and here’s the results with some build pics too.

Check the video at the end of the post for detailed build babble and whining.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Scientific marking off of chamber windows
007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

This I made long ago to work around the crystal. You can see the scale didn’t work.
021.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

Next to my real parts Obi
034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't cancel this stupid smile on my face right now, take a look at the video as well!!!:cool:D:D:D(y)thumbsup:cheers

I've been a P.I.T.A.:ninja for Scott he must have hated me big time:facepalm, but that's a masterpiece IMHO!!:angel

Regards,

Alberto

Speechless!
This is outstanding, amazing, simply an artwork!
Congrats Scott and Alberto: truly a masterpiece in SW props universe.
Great idea for the crystal chamber Alberto and awesome work Scott...and now the icing on the cake could be a Mark signature!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back