The One Ring

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Atarian, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Atarian

Atarian Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Eventually I would like to get one from Jens Hansen, but I'm not ready for that kind of commitment yet. I have a licensed ring with a chain with the elvish inscription aroound it, but I would prefer one without it. Is there a good reploca out there, licensed or unlicensed that is not inscribed and accurately sized to the movie ring?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Just get a sterling silver one from Jens Hansen, and have it gold plated.

From what I recall none of the replicas is accurate to the shape.

3. Atarian

I never thought of that, I'll do that then, thanks.

4. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yup, that's exactly what I did. There was no point for me to get a solid gold one since it'll be a display piece. But I did want one as accurate as possible.

5. Atarian

mine will be for display too, it will be hanging from the chain on my sting. thanks guys.

6. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Kind of like this? :D

[​IMG]

7. Atarian

kinda :p

(show off, lol)

8. Montagar

Sorry... couldn't help myself. :angel

I am going to be redoing my display in a couple of weeks, once I get a few new items ready for it.

9. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

How'd you get the Thror map? Buy it? Make it? Share the file?

10. Atarian

is that one of the display cases from ikea? looks like the perfect size

11. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    It's from here:
    http://www.indyprops.com/pp-thror.htm

[/quote]
    Yes, it's the Detolf, and it's the perfect size (for displaying Sting and scabbard, that is). :thumbsup

[​IMG]

12. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

13. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

That looks awesome, what a great display. Is there anything else on the other scrolls and parchments?

14. Montagar

I think it was $45, but that was a while ago, so I am not sure what Indy is selling them for now.

15. Montagar

Thanks, the other parchments don't have any LOTR significance and came from here:

http://www.libertybellmuseum.com/museumshop.htm

Although, the quill pen is "close" to the one that Bilbo uses in Fellowship of The Ring.

http://www.libertybellmuseum.com/MuseumSho...turkeyquill.htm

creamedgeezer: Sorry for the hijack, just trying to answer questions.

16. Atarian

I was about to ask these very questions, so it's not really a hijack, lol.

Thanks for all the info.

Now I'm torn on how i want to display my stuff. I could rip you off, or use the cool wall mount the UC sting comes with, lol

17. Wind23

Wind23 New Member

Sweet display. But to get back on topic... any advice about where to have the gold plating done and what it might cost? I have a silver JH that I've been meaning to get around to plating.

18. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

I'm fairly certain any competant jewelry store should be able to do it for you.

19. Atarian

i'm probably going to send mine to appliedmetals here on the board. I hear all good things abouut him, and I have some non jewelry stuff I need plated. He already said he could do it :)

20. Atarian

Just ordered my One Ring from Jens Hansen. Anyone know the turnaround time? Also, can it be made without the stamp on the inside (the one declaring silver or gold), I want it as close to the movie as possible. I emailed them about it, but thought someone here might know.

21. Montagar

Yes, they can and will do that (I believe it is in the FAQs).

EDIT: Well, it used to be in the FAQs, but it appears that it has been removed and replaced with the following:

"To maintain this accuracy the Jens Hansen movie replica ring has no inscriptions or engraving other than the Jens Hansen jewelerÂ’s hallmark and signature which appear on the inside band of the ring. These are the guarantee that your Jens Hansen Movie Ring came from the original source and are not normally seen, of course, when the ring is worn on a finger."

Just ask them and I am sure that they will do it.

22. Atarian

I checked there, it mentions that there is no elvish inscription, only the hallmark inside. I hope they email me back soon :)

23. Montagar

I altready made an edit to my previouse post, before I saw your post. :D

24. Atarian

even if they cant do it, it will still be better than the licensed ring I have, lol.

25. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jens Hansen can do it with or without the hallmark added. Of course, without the hallmark, its hard to prove the ring is made by Jens Hansen even with the certificate. So I like the hallmark on mine personally.

I had noted in the past in the junkyard I have a 18 ct Jens Hansen size 10 available for $ 600 complete with case, certificate and free shipping in the US.. Just in case anyone is looking for one. :)

26. Atarian

I wish I knew that earlier, lol, but I think a silver ring plated gold will be fine for display.

Good to know on the hallmark thing. I really dont plan on selling it though :)

27. Atarian

They haven't answered any of my emails, but do they charge an additional fee for requested modifications? I have another charge from them for like $5

28. Montagar

They didn't charge when I had it done, but that was a few years ago so anything is possible. I guess you could send them an email asking what the $5 charge is for, maybe they will respond to that.

29. Atarian

ahh, his messages werent reaching me, I got an email from his personal home email address today letting me know that everything is fine and my ring wont have any hallmarks :)

30. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

I was looking for a cheap one on Ebay. What would the correct Sauron size be (roughly)?

31. Montagar

[​IMG]

32. Atarian

ok,now I need to know where to get it plted. Any suggestions? I was going to go to appliedmetal here on the board, but he let me know that it isnt a real gold plating that he does.

Does anyone here have experience with any particular plater? It needs to be 18kt yellow gold.

Thanks.

33. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Most shops will send the ring out for a light plating, but if search the web there are places which do a very thick layer. Sorry I don't have the info. anymore.

34. Atarian

I think I'll try the medium thickness plating here: http://artisanplating.com

unless you think i should go for the maximum, i've never had anything like this done before

35. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

If you're not going to wear it, then even the lightest plating should be fine. But a good medium plating will last for quite a while, even being worn doing fairly stringent daily activity. Scratch resistance is another thing altogether, and you won't ever get it with a metal ring unless you get a tungsten-carbide ceramic ring.

36. Atarian

this will always be behind glass. is there a variation in color between the thicknesses?

37. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

If it's plated fully, by a competant jeweler, no.

Gold color variation is more dependant on what carat wieght it is. The closer to twenty-four, the yellower it is.

38. Atarian

got the silver ring today, looks great.

(it actually came saturday, but no one told me, lol)