The No Glove..no Love.. Sculpt. - Cast Pulled..wha?

SMOKE

I needed a project to work on in between waiting for approvals on design projects so I thought I would lifecast my hands and make some wicked awesome Predator hands. I've been looking at different refs and I'm getting conflicting glove layouts from left to right and even in some of the hands I picked up here on the lair. so I decided **** it, I'll just sculpt the hands with out the gloves and make them out of neoprene. This will be a first time molding and casting latex for me so... yeah.. ::clears throat:: Here we go! See Title..

Resin hand in Alja-safe mold. Smooth cast 325 Not the Ideal material to cast in to the alginate. It reacts with the water in the mold and bubbles sparatically. Something gypsum based is best.

It'll do for a sculpting base.
IMG_20120711_224743-1.jpg

1/6 scale hand chair. hah!
IMG_20120711_230200-1.jpg

Yay! Clay and basic bone structure layed out!
IMG_20120714_011248-1.jpg

Closer and well..looking at it now..crappier picture of the above.
IMG_20120714_025545-1.jpg

Started putting some texture down. Lotsa dotsa.
IMG_20120715_014451-1.jpg

More dots. This is where it's at as of now.
IMG_20120716_233930-1.jpg

I have a question. I know I could use ultracal to mold them buuut has anyone ever made a mold for latex pulls out of ShellShock from Smoothon? They claim for it to be a alternative to gypsum based hard molds. I know I could pull Dragon skin out of it but would I be able to pull latex as well. I would assume I would have to use latex dust to help with releasing it from the ShellShock. I'm new to the latex casting so any input or experiences with ShellShock in particular would be awesome.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Jose! They are on their way. They are slightly bigger than the seahunters hands I have. Seahunters hands fit me pretty good but are still a little loose. I'm trying to factor in the latex shrinkage. 15% right?

Looking good, reminds me of the avp style hands.

Slipped that one in on me! Thanks man! Not sure where it's going to end up.

Thanks Jose! They are on their way. They are slightly bigger than the seahunters hands I have. Seahunters hands fit me pretty good but are still a little loose. I'm trying to factor in the latex shrinkage. 15% right?

Slipped that one in on me! Thanks man! Not sure where it's going to end up.

Lee told me 10%

Lee told me 10%

i said ABOUT, see im not going to say **** anymore, people just plainly do not listen, from andre nagging the **** out of me about painting, then ignoring me and wondering why he has problems, to people miss quoting me.

ABOUT10%, and even then it will depend on the rubber particle content of your latex. which can differ quite alot.

i said ABOUT, see im not going to say **** anymore, people just plainly do not listen, from andre nagging the **** out of me about painting, then ignoring me and wondering why he has problems, to people miss quoting me.

ABOUT10%, and even then it will depend on the rubber particle content of your latex. which can differ quite alot.

Thanks for all the info Lee about the rubber particle content and shrinkage rate. This will be my first time casting with latex so all I'll take all the info I can get. I'm going with ABOUT 10% . (y) lol

Great hands, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Loving all the clay flinging going on here right now :D

Thanks! I'm enjoying all of the other sculpts too. It's been to long since my last predator related sculpt. Hands seemed like a nice start on the eventual full skin.

I'm going to try and work on it some more tonight. We we will see where I end up. I gotta work on some design stuff first. (y)

More pictures bro. Lol

Lol Here ya go.

I added more Chavant worms and balls to it and cleaned up the index finger tip and nail.

My photobucket acct isnt working for some reason.. had to make a new flickr acct for these.

7595340250_58b0c44731.jpg

7595338794_045e3db448.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and help folks! (y)

Loving these bro. No doubt they'll be as wicked as the rest of your work.
1st in line for a pair. Lol

Thanks Bro! Let's see how the molds and cast turn out first. This is going to be my first time with the hard mold and latex casting

Really nice bro. I'm really liking all the detail.

Thanks man! I have a couple sets of hands already from other members and I always wanted a set with alotta detail. Hopefully I can achieve that goal with this build.

[sub]looking very good man![/sub]

Why thank you kind sir! It's well on it's way.

Its going really well, the details are already showing!

Thanks bro!

I didn't have much time tonight to work on it but I did make some progress..

IMG_20120719_005302-1.jpg

Thanks for all the awesome comments!! :D

looking fantastic mate! :D saaaay....if you cast those and your first pull comes out stuffed up and your going to chuck it out....can i have it?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back