The ninth gate

Who would have guessed a book on Christianity would be partly used as the base for the book supposedly written in collaboration with the Devil? :p

Oh and I believe Odin82 meant this image. It reminds me of some medieval engravings on the public burning of Urbain Grandier but I can't seem to find an exact match.
Balkan lecture.jpg

Last edited:
It reminds me of some medieval engravings on the public burning of Urbain Grandier but I can't seem to find an exact match.

And now I'm searching through these old texts on Urbain Grandier. Well that's the next few hours of my life done hahah

In this book: The Crimes of Urbain Grandier and others, 1907, there's an illustration titled ""Urbain Grandier undergoing examination under torture", but the illustration isn't part of the book scan unfortunately. Found the image. Not it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Okay, this is a 9th wood cut. Most certainly Not 100%. :)

----------edit----------

Just learned the original of this picture is from Digital Mayhem. He said it's okay to post. I acquired it from a post by a member here and it looked like a screenshot from the movie. It turned out to be a photo of someone holding an original print from Digital Mayhem.
We both laughed that his was mistaken for a screenshot.

Attachments

• Real Ninth page 3 S.jpg
    Real Ninth page 3 S.jpg
    12.8 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Is that page, a scan from the Perez novel? Haven't opened the book in a while, but I'm sure that was in the book I have.

No luck unfortunately. It's at this stage it will probably be discovered by a complete accident. But I'm really sure it was in that Tree of Knowledge encyclopaedia, or an old Science book I had from school.

Just out of curiosity and for those who might be interested, these are the two original engravings (in the book) that were changed (for the movie)

Engraving # 8 (book version) features a woman and a knight with a sword.
It was changed for a young man (that looks like Corso) and a knight (that looks like Balkan) with a spike club instead of a sword.

Engraving # 9 (book version) shows a naked woman riding on the back of a seven-headed beast holding in her left hand a book . Her right hand rests on the the beast and there is a crescent Moon in her lap hiding her sex. In the background a castle in flames.
For the movie, the engraving was modified showing a naked woman (face redrawn to resemble "the girl"), the crescent moon in her lap is gone, she stills holds a book in her left hand and her right arm is raised pointing to the castle (redrawn to look like the actual castle used in the movie)

8.jpg8b.jpg9.jpg9b.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 8b.jpg
    8b.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 9b.jpg
    9b.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
There were more engravings that were changed for the movie.

The first one was changed in the text to „silencium est aureum“.

The third one was changed with the likeness of the Ceniza‘s.

The ninth engraving also exists in the version with open and also closed doors on the castle. Only one of them was used for the movie.

The Printers Mark on the frontispiece was changed to a different logo.

And there was even an alternate version of the true ninth engraving, where the girl has 2 horns on her head. It was created for the US Release, so the viewers would better understand that she is the devil, but is was never used in the end.

Last edited:
Engraving # 9 (book version) shows a naked woman riding on the back of a seven-headed beast holding in her left hand a book . Her right hand rests on the the beast and there is a crescent Moon in her lap hiding her sex. In the background a castle in flames.
For the movie, the engraving was modified showing a naked woman (face redrawn to resemble "the girl"), the crescent moon in her lap is gone, she stills holds a book in her left hand and her right arm is raised pointing to the castle (redrawn to look like the actual castle used in the movie)

The book version of the 9th engraving still appears in the film at the end when Corso found the torn woodcut on his windscreen wiper with the words "CENIZA BROS" scribbled in red on it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back