The ninth gate

Petertiger

Sr Member
This is some items i did found the engravings on line but improved them with Photoshop and made the true 9th page plus all the other items in photoshop

Attachments

• bc.JPG
    bc.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 206
  • pc1.JPG
    pc1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 186
  • pc.JPG
    pc.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 191
  • card.JPG
    card.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 216
  • PP.JPG
    PP.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 222
  • cheque.JPG
    cheque.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 2.png
    2.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 3.png
    3.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 5.png
    5.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 7.png
    7.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 9.png
    9.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 10.png
    10.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 10a.JPG
    10a.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 251
Does anyone have a PDF or a word file of all the pages and woodcuts? I've been meaning to make one for the longest of times. My folder from years back on my comp is in a mess, and can't remember what work I was doing on the book pages, what needed to be changed or added etc.

Was thinking of starting back into making one and put my bookbinding to use.

Does anyone have a PDF or a word file of all the pages and woodcuts? I've been meaning to make one for the longest of times. My folder from years back on my comp is in a mess, and can't remember what work I was doing on the book pages, what needed to be changed or added etc.

Was thinking of starting back into making one and put my bookbinding to use.

The woodcuts are at the top, in this thread. I don't have the text inside.

I had a member here make me a Nine Gates book with Dante's Inferno English text inside. Dante's Inferno describes the NINE-CIRCLES-OF-HELL.

Clearly the inspiration for the Nine Gates book, so they go together beautifully. I can provide you with an English translation of Dante's Inferno, but it is not formatted to the Nine Gates. You'd have to adjust it, and use thicker paper so the fewer pages of Inferno looks thicker.
And you'd need the chapter pages artwork, which I don't have.

Last edited:
Sorry to chime in here, but I had quite some time to study the original prop and its history and I can tell you that the text was taken from a real existing theological / catholic latin book from 1588, where only a couple of words where „deleted“ to simulate a coded text. Actually these are real sentences.

Also the headlines of all the chapter pages can be translated from latin and they actually make sense.

Sure. The author is Petrus Debollo and the book is called something with sacrorum in the title. Have to look up my archives. There are 2 different books which he wrote with that title. One with about 500+ pages and one with about 800+ pages. They used both in the making. The story is simple. The prop master Gilbert Pieri needed an old latin book as a basis and he just got this one. If you have an original it’s very valuable, but they just cannibalized the precious original and used it to make the Nine Gates. I own a few original pages of the latin book which were torn out in the making. They used about 20+ pages from both books combined for the prop. The original pre prop they did (which I also own) had entirely different pages than the ones they used in the final version.

Fun fact: there is also an alternate true ninth engraving from the original artist, where the girl has horns, which was created for the distribution in american cinemas, but it was never used.

Well it was made up, they just used pages from these original books as basis. All these years everybody thought the text was just gibberish, but nobody had an original „uncoded“ page from the movie prop. As soon as i typed in a single sentence from the page into google, I found the original books, who perfectly matched with the single pages I had from the old latin book. I compared every page from the Nine Gates prop with the latin book and it’s all there, more or less. Yes, it’s very interesting indeed. i love all these small details that come up while researching.

Digital Mayhem Do you have any information on the image used in the Balkan lecture lobby card? From the scene "
  1. 'Demons and Medieval Literature, by Boris Balkan, Ph.D.'
    It's adorned with a medieval engraving depicting an Inquisition torture scene."

Digital Mayhem I've no idea how many books I've scanned through over the years trying to find it. I can confirm, it's not in any editions of the books mentioned in the novel or the movie, to save anyone else the time in case they are also trying to find it.

But I still honestly believe, I've seen that image in an early 90's magazine collecting encyclopaedia called "The Tree of Knowledge". Was a binder, where people collecting issues, that every month had like 6 different sections of History/ Art/ Nature etc. Think it's in the home attic. Maybe one day I'll climb up there when back. I'm 90% certain I've seen that image in that collection.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back