The Nightmare Before Christmas Stop Motion Sally Puppet Replica

seven

Sr Member
I would like to share the progress of a project that has been in the works for a few years now, a One of a kind (OOAK) replica of the stopmotion puppet, Sally from Henry Selick's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I have displayed the MEDICOM Jack Skellington Replica Puppet for yeas and I wanted to complete the duo. I like the JUN Planning dolls, however, Sally is one of those Characters that has been impossible to find a doll that looks right.

I decided that if I was going to have a Sally doll made, I was going to go all out and replicate the Stop motion puppet as much as possible. First thing was to have a replica Armature custom machined. I was fortunate enough to find a stop motion puppet armature fabricator, and commissioned him for the task.
Attached is his first progress image after 400+ machine hours

Thank you Eduard A. at kineticarmatures.com for the One-off Armature
Thank You Scott Pettersen at spettersenart.blogspot.com for the re-creating Sally
_MG_5046.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you. I am really happy with it too. Its a shame that its going to be hid under the puppet

Here is the first video by the machinist building the armature

Get two made… then display the finished puppet and the armature side by side. Thought I am sure that thing is expensive, so two may be out of budget. Lol

Get two made… then display the finished puppet and the armature side by side. Thought I am sure that thing is expensive, so two may be out of budget. Lol

Literally was a thought I had had, and you're right, it wasn't in the budget. Maybe some year if the Kinetic Armatures is willing to do another.

Attached are pictures of the assembled armature, before and after coating specific parts.

Also creating fingers

Attachments

• dibu copy.jpg
    dibu copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • _MG_5425.JPG
    _MG_5425.JPG
    10.9 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9603.JPG
    IMG_9603.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 122
Sent armature to the puppet fabricator, who has begun sculpting the body
IMG_9650.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9652.JPG
    IMG_9652.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9651.JPG
    IMG_9651.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Awesome project; you're one of the precious few, here on the RPF, to tackle that type of work. Eager to see your next update:cool::cool:(y)(y)

Nice mold work. With which material will you cast? It looks like a plaster mold, which is how the original latex foam was cast, but latex foam rots away. Has anyone yet developed a silicone foam or urethane foam that behaves like latex?

Nice mold work. With which material will you cast? It looks like a plaster mold, which is how the original latex foam was cast, but latex foam rots away. Has anyone yet developed a silicone foam or urethane foam that behaves like latex?
It could be done with a silicone, like they do the Phicen doll bodies. Those have a steel armature, like a stop motion puppet, and they do the silicone skin over that and it is amazing.

168809e1808d7ee25bc347d1e3eee759--rigs-action-figures.jpg
tbleague_phicen_female_seamles_1602283566_8ef5d6ab.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back