The NEW official Red Ryder “Christmas Wish” BB gun is out in stores

The Red Ryder BB guns used to be blued, but I guess it got to be too expensive.

When the movie first came out Popular Mechanics magazine did an article on the Daisy BB gun. According to Daisy, the Red Ryder BB gun never had the features of the one in the move. But the earlier Buck Jones Daisy BB gun did. After Buck Jones died in the nightclub fire, Daisy decided to go with the fictional character, Red Ryder and redesigned the look of the BB gun. Back then the BB guns were also a lot more powerful than modern ones. They reduced the power decades ago over legal fears, when the U.S. got sue happy.

David.

Finally found them!

Attachments

• 865A938F-F22C-4803-B5D2-C8384B401484.jpeg
    865A938F-F22C-4803-B5D2-C8384B401484.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 772
  • 9978D941-DA03-4B74-A900-6DC2A746A59D.jpeg
    9978D941-DA03-4B74-A900-6DC2A746A59D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • DF361DBB-74ED-4153-942C-86D4FF93DDF3.jpeg
    DF361DBB-74ED-4153-942C-86D4FF93DDF3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 161
  • D66FC5E0-DCCD-484C-9926-76CFBB168B67.jpeg
    D66FC5E0-DCCD-484C-9926-76CFBB168B67.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 189
Interested to see if anyone decides to strip it down and blue it as well as re-stain the stock. Guess we'll need to add the missing brass barrel band too.

I’d be in for one as well. This is such a great find!

Actually, come to think of it, it doesn’t appear the existing band is brass so someone should do a set where you can replace the one that’s already there.

Last edited:
Got mine! My Walmart only had two, and one of them had a trashed box. They were tossed in with the regular ones.

I was able to order one from the Walmart website, normal price. Came from Dallas via Fed Ex, just shipped in its bare box, which is now all beat up. Fortunately it's hard to see stuff sitting on my porch. Anyway, gun came through miraculously unscathed.

When I check the Walmart site they only list one at $70 for online orders. Below that they have listed one at $25 but only for in-store purchase. Are you guys getting something different? Maybe it's a state thing?

When I check the Walmart site they only list one at $70 for online orders. Below that they have listed one at $25 but only for in-store purchase. Are you guys getting something different? Maybe it's a state thing?
Walmart sells from third parties on their site, like Amazon, and the $69.99 one sells and ships from a seller: WOODYSCLOSET. So you most likely need to buy in store as they no longer seem to be listing the in store priced one online. Maybe they shipped all stock to stores and no longer have them at their warehouses for shipping.

Thanks for the heads up Moviefreak. Are the box graphics screen accurate too? There's an Etsy seller that sells screen accurate boxes supposedly, but that's $90 alone. For some reason the link isn't working, but it's the same shop that sells this: Red Ryder BB Gun WINDOW DISPLAY from movie A Christmas Story | Etsy
The box

This item is unavailable | Etsy

I’ve always been tempted at this one, as I think it would make a great holiday display, but just noticed on top of the $90 asking price, he also charges $18 shipping to LA. Seems steep!

It depends on exactly what stores have it in stock. So when I checked I got lucky that the Dallas store/warehouse was doing shipping.

I’m now thinking of taking one of these and making changes to be even more screen accurate. We’ve seen people strip the Tomenosuke blasters and refinish them, so why not one of these?

I actually took two vintage guns with the logo on the correct side, one was a 1938 and another was a 1938 B and refurbished them (1938 B that I sold pictured). The 1938 is slightly more accurate, with a skinnier neck, different cartoon graphics, and doesn't have Daisy on the cocker lever.

In the movie, the gun appears to be just painted and not blued, but it may have been blued beneath. Hard to say, but I believe the gun was blued and painted on top of that, judging by the state is appears in at the museum. I think the paint has just worn away over the years.

I refinished the wood on my two guns, and had a local artisan to laser etch the sundial, using graphics copied from the original gun. Dremeled out a socket for an accurate compass, and voila, you've got a far more accurate replica than you can get in the store. It loads the way the one in the movie does, and has the correct double bands. I painted them copper, just as the prop guns were done.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (14).jpg
    s-l1600 (14).jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 135
I'm making a display shadowbox with mine with paper elements, the decoder pin, glasses, etc. I've finally found the correct copy for the big block Boys Life back page and will share this on the paper props site when complete. It's actually from Jean Sheperd's book In God We Trust all others pay cash. I took a screenshot on my 4K from the movie and compared it with the book. It's exact except for one word at the end.

They have big box displays for these in Walmart now. They must have done well the past few years. I still want to replace the front sight with the brass band/sight. Wish I could find a good source for one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back