The New Mutants

The only thing that gives me any faith is there's a Donner involved but producers don't do much but handle the cash. I bet they pick some new characters that nobody has heard of for it instead of going with the originals from the 90s, then again they could use this to make an xforce movie too.

The only thing that gives me any faith is there's a Donner involved but producers don't do much but handle the cash. I bet they pick some new characters that nobody has heard of for it instead of going with the originals from the 80s, then again they could use this to make an xforce movie too.

Fixed that for ya.

Yeah, 90s was Generation X. Which was good, for the first half of it, at least. Then it got weird.

And we won't mention what's been done with that property, either.

I haven't been watching the post-Last Stand X-Men movies, but I'm optimistic about this, because I've always loved New Mutants. I've heard rumors somewhere (no clue where) that they're looking at Inferno as a possible storyline for a future X-Men movie, and New Mutants would allow them to introduce Illyana and get the ball rolling toward that.

I should be ashamed of myself being a marvel and x-series fan from the late 80s to the mid 90s. FIY i think the Gen-X tv movie is roaming youtube.

Yeah, 90s was Generation X. Which was good, for the first half of it, at least. Then it got weird.

And we won't mention what's been done with that property, either.

I haven't been watching the post-Last Stand X-Men movies, but I'm optimistic about this, because I've always loved New Mutants. I've heard rumors somewhere (no clue where) that they're looking at Inferno as a possible storyline for a future X-Men movie, and New Mutants would allow them to introduce Illyana and get the ball rolling toward that.

It'd be hard for them to do Inferno without Madelyne Pryor which is opening a HUGE can of worms that most fans of the X-men only through the movies haven't been set up to deal with.

It'd be hard for them to do Inferno without Madelyne Pryor which is opening a HUGE can of worms that most fans of the X-men only through the movies haven't been set up to deal with.

Not necessarily. The main plot of Inferno is the demons trying to take over Earth. Establish the New Mutants as a sister-franchise, then in a second movie give us Illyana and her backstory (or at least a modified version of it), and then have her powers go crazy in an Inferno crossover between the two. It would totally work, without involving Madelyne at all.

Inferno is a classic comic story, but I don't think they're going to take the X-Men film franchise into the supernatural. Everything so far is psuedo-scifi, I think throwing in demons would be counter to the feel they've developed. Some of my favorite X-Men stories are crossovers with Ghost Rider and Blade, but I just can't see them going that route on screen.

Side note:

Fox is NEVER EVER EVER giving up the X-men franchise.

And you know what? I'm good with that. At this point, I kind of prefer the X-men existing in their own little pocket universe, and Marvel-land being focused more on the threat posed by Inhumans and other super-powered individuals.

The X-men/Mutant continuity can just be it's own thing. At this point, I find the kind of prejudicial stuff that X-men focuses on to be either irrelevant (they're just another superpowered person) or incongruous (wait, the guy who can shoot lasers from his eyes because he was the victim of a scientific accident gone awry is ok, but the guy who's born with those powers isn't?!). Better to just have them be their own thing.

Do have to twitch at the article referring to that as the "traditional starting lineup." Illyana didn't join the team until issue 14, she was still a child before that. They're also missing Xi'an, who was a part of the original team. IIRC, Amara and Doug also joined the team before Illyana did.

If they do it right, I'll probably see it. I've been avoiding the X movies since 3, since they started screwing with the histories of characters and all, but I've always loved New Mutants. I should actually figure out which books I still need to finish the run, I know I have most of them.

Yesss we get 80s and 90s era X-Men! They have a lot of time before they catch up to X-Men 2000 and they should indeed take full advantage since those years were all about the bright & tight clothing that the mutants wear!

Do have to twitch at the article referring to that as the "traditional starting lineup." Illyana didn't join the team until issue 14, she was still a child before that. They're also missing Xi'an, who was a part of the original team. IIRC, Amara and Doug also joined the team before Illyana did.

If they do it right, I'll probably see it. I've been avoiding the X movies since 3, since they started screwing with the histories of characters and all, but I've always loved New Mutants. I should actually figure out which books I still need to finish the run, I know I have most of them.

They're also missing the weird yellow and black robot character whose name I forgot. He was on the team around the same time as all of the rest although I don't recall if he was an original member or not. Wasn't there also a kind of lame character whose ability was being able to speak all different languages after hearing them or something else not very useful for fighting bad guys?

They're also missing the weird yellow and black robot character whose name I forgot. He was on the team around the same time as all of the rest although I don't recall if he was an original member or not. Wasn't there also a kind of lame character whose ability was being able to speak all different languages after hearing them or something else not very useful for fighting bad guys?

That would be Warlock, who showed up later (after Magik, IIRC). And Doug Ramsey/Cypher I mentioned in my post. Also, he was not lame, he was pretty damn cool, especially after he realized that he could understand a bit of how Warlock worked since his abilities included computer language, and the two teamed up.

Just for reference, the original team, as per the original graphic novel, was Rahne Sinclair (Wolfsbane), Sam Guthrie (Cannonball), Danielle Moonstar (Psyche, later Mirage), Xi'an Coy Manh (Karma), and Roberto da Costa (Sunspot). Amara Aquilla (Magma) first appeared in New Mutants #8. Doug Ramsey (Cypher) first appeared in New Mutants #13, and Illyana Rasputina (Magik) first appeared (as Magik, previously she was a child) in New Mutants #14, but neither joined the team immediately after their first appearance. Illyana did join before Doug, as Doug joined alongside Warlock, who first appeared in New mutants #18.

Assuming they're going anything by the comics, Storm was the mentor of the team after she lost her powers. At that time, Xi'an had rejoined the team (she left before Amara joined), and the team was comprised of Sam, Dani, Rahne, Xi'an, Roberto, Illyana, Amara, Doug, and Warlock. Now, Xi'an was... obese... at the time, but they don't have to use that part of the storyline (she regains her original form soon after, although that won't be used, either, since it involves Loki). I do agree that Warlock would be hard to animate, and Doug, while being cool, doesn't have powers that would translate well on screen. Still, other than the confirmed Sam, Dani, Rahne, Roberto, and Illyana, we do still need Xi'an and Amara. The only reason I can see them leaving those two off would be because the team would be too female-heavy. In which case they could easily use either other characters (who may or may not have joined the New Mutants formally at any point, I personally wouldn't be averse to seeing Jonothan Starsmore (Chamber) or Everett Thomas (Synch) from Gen X included), or make up a couple new ones. You'd have a good ethnic mix, too. American, Native American (Cherokee, specifically), Scottish, Brazilian, Russian, Vietnamese, and European (Amara's country doesn't actually exist in the real world). Plus, Xi'an being lesbian, leaving her out, with her being a founding member of the team, has some unfortunate implications, other than her being the only Asian on the team.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back