The never-ending action figure discussion thread

astroboy

Master Member
Well? Any favorite action figure lines?

In addition to star wars. And g.i.joe, I was a big fan of star-com, silverhawks, air raiders and super powers.

Having well scaled, functional vehicles was incredibly important to me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Big Jim from Mattel, Action Man aka GI Joe. Loved the giant sized vehicles. We did not have many of them because Star Wars was right around the corner.

I would be happy if Hasbro took a step back and revised their entire approach. My favorite vehicles in the Star Wars line have been the ones that are proportional to themselves and the figures -- the newer X-Wing, the newer Slave I... even the ginormous Millennium Falcon they did some years back -- it wasn't properly to scale with the figures, but it was a damn sight closer than the original and subsequent ones. But you can't make too big a vehicle before it really just becomes a playset because it's too big to fly around (at least, for kids). I'd love the main "play-factor" action figures and vehicles be redone in 2" scale -- like Kenner's old M.A.S.K. line. With the advances since those toys back in the '80s, we can get all manner of detailing and posability into them -- at least as much as we're used to on the main 3-3/4" figures. Then the 3-3/4" figures can be the new superscaled Black Series stuff, with the really big vehicles to go with, and still retain some pick-it-up-and-go practicality. The 6" line needs to be just for figures and action accessories and some really small vehicles, like speeder bikes or the Phantom or like that.

The 2" scale would make it more practical to make playable vehicles in or close to the action figures' scale. Only really big ones, like the Falcon or U-Wing or Kylo's Command Shutle might need some scaling. 2" scale action figures are equivalent to 1:48. A 1:48 X-Wing is a bit shy of 11" long. 3-3/4" is equivalent to 1:18. A 1:18 X-Wing is over two feet long (27" and a bit). That might be cool and exciting for collectors and fans, but hard for a kid to maneuver. 2" seems the best balance between size, detailing, impressiveness... and compactness, storability, and ease of handling.

I also liked the smaller-scaled stuff -- articulated or not. I liked the larger scope I could get. But it wasn't the same, for me. In those cases, the vehicles became the characters for me, and the actual characters mere accessories. And the larger-scaled stuff has good novelty factor, but once we start getting past 6", the pick-it-up-and-play-with-it factor pretty much goes away. In almost every case I've seen, they end up being just display pieces. For that, I'd rather have a statuette or static figure model kit, that isn't marred by articulation joints and such.

As for favorites... Star Wars (including the Micro Series), G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Transformers, He-Man, Zoids, Starriors, Machinerobo/Go-Bots, Micro-Change (specifically the Gun Robos, back when that wasn't so politically incorrect)... And I also got turned on to Diaclone thanks to Transformers. I like the story, I like the piloted-mecha approach... It's a lot like M.A.S.K., except with the vehicles transforming into mecha instead of "combat modes".

--Jonah

The 1980s GI, the Generation 1 transformers and the modern remakes that Hasbro makes aimed at older collectors, the new line is Combiner Wars i think. I like the stuff Square does with Playarts other than the price as my Final Fantasy 12 Fran cost 125.00 but it's a really big figure. There were so many neat figure lines that came and went in the 80s and 90s, I remember a series that had a playset in military weapons. I had a 1911 hand gun that opened up into a base with tiny figures in it, never been able to figure the line out again. Let's not forget Captain Power and some of the first action figures to interact with your TV.

I had SW, GI JOE (80s version), M.A.S.K., and Starcom, as far as character/vehicle/playset toys went. I started getting GI JOEs when they came out in 84 and I think I played with them more than anything up until I was about 12yo in 89. The only thing I played with the same time length was LEGO. I think the only reason I played with GI JOE was because of the figure articulation vs. my SW figures. I also probably had more than double the GI JOEs than SW.

I would be happy if Hasbro took a step back and revised their entire approach. My favorite vehicles in the Star Wars line have been the ones that are proportional to themselves and the figures -- the newer X-Wing, the newer Slave I... even the ginormous Millennium Falcon they did some years back -- it wasn't properly to scale with the figures, but it was a damn sight closer than the original and subsequent ones. But you can't make too big a vehicle before it really just becomes a playset because it's too big to fly around (at least, for kids). I'd love the main "play-factor" action figures and vehicles be redone in 2" scale -- like Kenner's old M.A.S.K. line. With the advances since those toys back in the '80s, we can get all manner of detailing and posability into them -- at least as much as we're used to on the main 3-3/4" figures. Then the 3-3/4" figures can be the new superscaled Black Series stuff, with the really big vehicles to go with, and still retain some pick-it-up-and-go practicality. The 6" line needs to be just for figures and action accessories and some really small vehicles, like speeder bikes or the Phantom or like that.

The 2" scale would make it more practical to make playable vehicles in or close to the action figures' scale. Only really big ones, like the Falcon or U-Wing or Kylo's Command Shutle might need some scaling. 2" scale action figures are equivalent to 1:48. A 1:48 X-Wing is a bit shy of 11" long. 3-3/4" is equivalent to 1:18. A 1:18 X-Wing is over two feet long (27" and a bit). That might be cool and exciting for collectors and fans, but hard for a kid to maneuver. 2" seems the best balance between size, detailing, impressiveness... and compactness, storability, and ease of handling.

I also liked the smaller-scaled stuff -- articulated or not. I liked the larger scope I could get. But it wasn't the same, for me. In those cases, the vehicles became the characters for me, and the actual characters mere accessories. And the larger-scaled stuff has good novelty factor, but once we start getting past 6", the pick-it-up-and-play-with-it factor pretty much goes away. In almost every case I've seen, they end up being just display pieces. For that, I'd rather have a statuette or static figure model kit, that isn't marred by articulation joints and such.

As for favorites... Star Wars (including the Micro Series), G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Transformers, He-Man, Zoids, Starriors, Machinerobo/Go-Bots, Micro-Change (specifically the Gun Robos, back when that wasn't so politically incorrect)... And I also got turned on to Diaclone thanks to Transformers. I like the story, I like the piloted-mecha approach... It's a lot like M.A.S.K., except with the vehicles transforming into mecha instead of "combat modes".

--Jonah
I agree. Posable 2" figures would have been ideal.

Even though they weren't posable, the star wars micro collection was my favorite toy line. I had the cloud city, both, U-wing and tie fighter.

I liked the Todd Mcfarlane figures. Had a bunch when I was younger. I still have my Terminator one on the shelf, but he's missing a gun.

I actually bought the complete Starcom cartoon on dvd lol. I just ordered the McFarlane Titanfall figure, it's not as high end as the 500.00 one but at 40.00 it's pricey. I used to have a ton of the old Toybiz Marvel/X-men figures before they sold to Hasbro. Most of them were still on their cards, i sold them cheap in 2006 at an estate sale we had. Those and a nearly complete set of Independence day figures and playsets,
I also had a nearly complete set of Final fantasy 8 figures, Final fantasy spirits within figures (I was missing the jumpship and found it after i got rid of them, and the Spirits within giant figures. I had almost all the 1990s battletech action figures too, i wish i'd not sold those.

My figure called, "The Heap" followed me to work at 2 of my different jobs.

Targetsmall.jpg

MonsterFinal.jpg

I've used this guy on so much stuff. I think its from Spawn, but not even sure. I just thought it was cool so I bought it.

I liked the Todd Mcfarlane figures. Had a bunch when I was younger. I still have my Terminator one on the shelf, but he's missing a gun.
To me, that was the real death knell of it all. Sure, they were beautiful, but sculpt and variants became valued over function. They were made for the collector who liked to put them on the shelf.

How on earth can you do a vehicle for a 6" figure that isn't posable?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I saw this toy set at toys r us on the weekend. What on earth? It isn't to scale with anything....and who's that other Droid? 20160827_095124.jpg

When I was there, I bought my 4 year old an artoo/threepio two pack. For some reason they came with some firing rocket pack thing. No idea why. I threw the rocket pack in the garbage.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I am really torn on whether to call that good or bad parenting [emoji38]
I always get turned off when an action figure comes with some stupid peripheral.

LOBOT....WITH FORCE FIRING BACKPACK!

maybe the figure would be cheaper if they didn't add stupid stuff. You don't have to add stuff to sell these things. Let the character sell themselves

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back