The Mummy 1932 "Scroll of Thoth"

Last edited:
The typical replica papyrus you see are Tutankhamen scenes and other 'tourist' scenes/hieroglyphs and usually A4 sort of size (Egyptian Painted Papyrus, Medium). It's a shame the BM doesn't do proper replicas like these ones! Replicas of other specific objects tend to be in the hundreds of pounds range, so I'm not surprised at the prices of these ones you've found. I can't imagine that printing onto a long papyrus scroll is a very easy process which probably accounts for a lot of the cost.

It looks like the BM did do a replica book with a pullout of the papyrus: The Complete Book of The Dead of Hunefer: A Papyrus Pullout: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Parkinson: 9780714119946: Books - but it was only 11cm tall!

It looks like the BM did do a replica book with a pullout of the papyrus: The Complete Book of The Dead of Hunefer: A Papyrus Pullout: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Parkinson: 9780714119946: Books - but it was only 11cm tall!
Yeah, I found one of them and bought it when I started this thread. That's the one I was meant to scan, but the scanner is at work, and with lockdown coming in and out, and work being so so so busy, never got the time to scan it to upload it yet.

That's great to know that there should be an abundance of replicas on papyrus out there. Does she remember what she paid for it?
Sadly she doesn't but did remember she had to pay with Egyptian Pounds. She thinks in the neighborhood of 100 pounds, no idea of what the exchange rate was back then.

Late to the party here, but really nice project.
Sadly she doesn't but did remember she had to pay with Egyptian Pounds. She thinks in the neighborhood of 100 pounds, no idea of what the exchange rate was back then.
With the current exchange rate that would be around 5 euro. About twenty years back it still coudn't have been more than 20 euro.

Are there any Photoshop wizards with Adobe Illustrator here that could vectorise these hieroglyphs to be able to be printed out? (included a unobscured screen cap of the bottom glyph. Seems I deleted my Illustrator or something when Photoshop stopped being compatible with the Mac OS a few versions ago. Would be a pretty cool paper prop to go with the scroll. Would be greatly appreciated.

vlcsnap-2021-04-28-22h14m39s189.png

vlcsnap-2021-05-11-00h53m17s232.png

Here you go!
View attachment 1457577 View attachment 1457578
One from just messing about in PS, the other is a vectorised version and should be A2 size.

Let me know if you need a proper hieroglyphic rendering, and I can do that. They're all proper hieroglyphs, but it doesn't mean too much.
That's awesome dude!

Much thanks man, and I'm blown away by your help and knowledge!

If a proper hieroglyphic rendering isn't too much trouble and you have some time in the future to do one, that would be pretty cool to have!

So appreciative for your help on this!

That's awesome dude!

Much thanks man, and I'm blown away by your help and knowledge!

If a proper hieroglyphic rendering isn't too much trouble and you have some time in the future to do one, that would be pretty cool to have!

So appreciative for your help on this!
More than welcome!

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I will try and get the hieroglyphs drawn up for you. I might try a translation, but a quick looks doesn't look like much....

More than welcome!

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I will try and get the hieroglyphs drawn up for you. I might try a translation, but a quick looks doesn't look like much....

Please don't trouble yourself as there's no rush or anything. Huge thanks to you for helping!

It's great to have some record / replicas of these paper props and seeing that other people are interested in them too. I've taken screen caps of the other two paper props shown in the film to print out also. The latter I must try and do a card replica of the Exhibition brochure at some stage too, translating the left side to French, and the right side to Arabic.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-02-06-11h03m22s103.png
    vlcsnap-2021-02-06-11h03m22s103.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • vlcsnap-2021-05-11-01h10m12s293.png
    vlcsnap-2021-05-11-01h10m12s293.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Here you go!
View attachment 1457577 View attachment 1457578
One from just messing about in PS, the other is a vectorised version and should be A2 size.

Let me know if you need a proper hieroglyphic rendering, and I can do that. They're all proper hieroglyphs, but it doesn't mean too much.
Fantastic, mate. Many thanks for your time and cooperation.
Much appreciated. Thank you

I made this in JSESH, so if anyone wants the .GLY file just let me know. The JSESH export is a bit limited, but these should do for you to print out etc. I also think I can export into SVG, which Inkscape can read and I think Illustrator can also import.

A couple of the signs are a bit questionable, but I did a translation and found the right symbols (I think). So the hieroglyphs breakdown like this:

Transliteration
Line 1: Sfyt
Line 2: ra
Line 3: anx
Line 4: =sn
Line 5: di=k
Line 6: st
Line 7: kA
Line 8: ib
Line 9: sA
Line 10: pr

Sfyt ra anx=sn di=k st kA ib sA pr

If you want to speak ancient Egyptian, phonetically that would sound something like this: shefeet rah ank-esen deek set kah eeb s-ah per

Translation
Line 1: Majesty
Line 2: Ra
Line 3: Life
Line 4: Their (suffix pronoun)
Line 5: Give you
Line 6: Seat/throne
Line 7: Spirit
Line 8: Heart
Line 9: Son
Line 10: House

So as an English sentence it would be something like: [May] the majesty of the life of Ra give you a throne, spirit, heart, a son, a house.

Lastly, if anyone wants to practice drawing their own hieroglyphs, I recommend this book: https://resources.metmuseum.org/resources/metpublications/pdf/Ancient_Egyptian_Calligraphy.pdf

Attachments

• HieroglyphsJSESH.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 20
  • HieroglyphsJSESH.png
    HieroglyphsJSESH.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 19
Two things I threw together quickly. I wasn't able to replicate the display card exactly because of how grainy the image was and not being able to get the icons above and under the text correctly. Was thinking would work to print out both sides and fold like a 3-page brochure/leaflet.

Museum Brochure Page1.jpg

Museum Brochure Page2.jpg

Last edited:
So as an English sentence it would be something like: [May] the majesty of the life of Ra give you a throne, spirit, heart, a son, a house.

Lastly, if anyone wants to practice drawing their own hieroglyphs, I recommend this book: https://resources.metmuseum.org/resources/metpublications/pdf/Ancient_Egyptian_Calligraphy.pdf
Very nice! I think you're spot on in your transliteration. I do have to disagree with your translation though (after all I need to get my money's worth out of my degree ;))
If you want to make sense of it, it would be more akin to:
(Iw) Sfy.t ra anx=sn di=k s.t kA ib sA pr
"The majesty of Ra is their life, while you give a place, a ka, a heart, a son and a house"

Yet, like you I highly doubt that they tried to make a coherent sentence XD

The book is very nice, I wss able to get a hardcover a few years back. My glyphs still suck though.

I really appreciate you guys contributing and taking part in studying this, and it's great to have a record! I never thought I'd have gotten the knowledge of what all the hieroglyphs meant, but thanks to you guys, you have helped so much!.

While the helpful smart people are in here and talking about hieroglyphs, I should take the opportunity and ask about the Sarcophagus? Have been thinking of sculpting the upper half as the back display model for the Karloff bust, but have been wondering about the glyphs. Guess now is a good time to put up pics and inquire, and might kickstart me into commencing it.

In the movie, the guy translates the following below image as "Im-Ho-Tep, High Priest of the Temple of the Son of Kanna"

vlcsnap-2021-05-24-03h43m07s684.png

Then the next camera shot has this - Brightened to reveal the glyphs. (They don't seem to match up between shots?

I'm guessing the interior hieroglyphs were printed on paper and just stuck to the inside of the sarcophagus and why between shots it changes. (In the follow up film The Mummy's Hand from 1940, the complete front sarcophagus cover was printed paper and can be seen rippling when touched/opened),

vlcsnap-2021-05-24-03h45m10s293.png

With a bit of dodging...

vlcsnap-2021-05-24-03h45m10s293.png

Then onto the other side, which isn't really shown too well in the movie. Can't make out what the glyphs are the than the ones above his head. I know the left side glyphs were destroyed in the movie plot. "The sacred spells which protect the soul on its journey to the underworld have been chipped off of the coffin. So Imhotep was sentenced to death not only in this world, but in the next."

vlcsnap-2021-05-24-03h51m49s590.png

But I love this photo that exists but not seen in the film.

The-Mummy-1.jpg

Oh, and of course the hieroglyphs on the chest that the Scroll of Thoth was found in! The warning - "Death eternal punishment for anyone who opens this casket, in the name Amon-Ra, The King of the Gods."

Anyone translate?

vlcsnap-2021-05-24-04h17m57s931.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back