The Mummy 1932 "Scroll of Thoth"

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Odin82

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

RobertMuldoon

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The typical replica papyrus you see are Tutankhamen scenes and other 'tourist' scenes/hieroglyphs and usually A4 sort of size (Egyptian Painted Papyrus, Medium). It's a shame the BM doesn't do proper replicas like these ones! Replicas of other specific objects tend to be in the hundreds of pounds range, so I'm not surprised at the prices of these ones you've found. I can't imagine that printing onto a long papyrus scroll is a very easy process which probably accounts for a lot of the cost.

It looks like the BM did do a replica book with a pullout of the papyrus: The Complete Book of The Dead of Hunefer: A Papyrus Pullout: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Parkinson: 9780714119946: Books - but it was only 11cm tall!

Odin82

It looks like the BM did do a replica book with a pullout of the papyrus: The Complete Book of The Dead of Hunefer: A Papyrus Pullout: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Parkinson: 9780714119946: Books - but it was only 11cm tall!
Yeah, I found one of them and bought it when I started this thread. That's the one I was meant to scan, but the scanner is at work, and with lockdown coming in and out, and work being so so so busy, never got the time to scan it to upload it yet.

19narvik40

That's great to know that there should be an abundance of replicas on papyrus out there. Does she remember what she paid for it?
Sadly she doesn't but did remember she had to pay with Egyptian Pounds. She thinks in the neighborhood of 100 pounds, no idea of what the exchange rate was back then.

mathew

Late to the party here, but really nice project.
Sadly she doesn't but did remember she had to pay with Egyptian Pounds. She thinks in the neighborhood of 100 pounds, no idea of what the exchange rate was back then.
With the current exchange rate that would be around 5 euro. About twenty years back it still coudn't have been more than 20 euro.