The Movies That Made Us, Netflix Series

Huh. I guess I'm less excited about this than I am for the original toy version, or for any toy follow up seasons.

Movie trivia, and documentaries about movies (especially big popular ones that we might say "made" us) are a dime a dozen. I don't expect anything in "movies that made us" to bring anything new to the table.

While documentaries about toys still exist, they're much fewer in number, and I don't remember them getting replayed or re-aired in any large amount. So the toys that made us brought a lot of good info to people that had never heard any of it.

Not saying they shouldn't make this, or that it will be bad, I just don't see myself, or a lot of others, getting much of anything out of it.

Yeah agreed. The toy thing was great because, yes, there are a lot of toy docs out there, I really got a lot out of them.

What could they possibly tell me about 80's movies that isn't in a million youtube video essays/commentaries.

Well I guess it's for my parents... nevermind.

So, looks like this hit Netflix today.

Dirty Dancing
Home Alone
Ghostbusters
Die Hard

Seems like a solid 4 to start with. From the looks of the trailer with it, they've got a lot of interviews with folks ACTUALLY involved in the making of the movies, rather than the usual "quote from an old interview" style of film documentary we get. That could make this much more enjoyable for me than I originally expected.

Watched all eps over the weekend. So much fun! These were movies that I would've thought didn't have much about them that hadn't already been discussed, but they all had surprises in them. Lots of fun and I can't wait to see what they do next.

I watched the Home Alone episode, it was really enjoyable and interesting. Not the standard "behind the scenes" stuff that's usually a bonus feature on discs.
I'll check out the GB episode tomorrow. :cool:

Last edited:
I thought all of them were pretty solid. Didn't really learn a whole lot new about either Die Hard or Ghostbusters... but Home Alone and Dirty Dancing were surprisingly enlightening. Especially learning just how much Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey *HATED* each other.

I hope this gets enough traction for a second season.

I watched this series and enjoyed all 4 episodes! I thought the Dirty Dancing episode was the best of them. It was really cool to see what some of the shooting locations look like nowadays. The drama between Swayze and Grey was good also. Makes we wonder what the set of Red Dawn was like for them to hate each other to the point of not wanting to work together again.

I really enjoyed the “Dirty Dancing” one. I’ve seen it...tons of times...but never knew anything about how it got made.
Totally agree.

Other than Home Alone, I knew a majority of the info presented on the other shows, but with Dirty Dancing episode, it was almost ALL new stuff.

I was aware of the rift between Grey & Swayze, but didn't realize how bad it really was. I really gained a ton of respect for Swayze, watching him in crippling pain trying to get that leap off the stage just right.

I really gained a ton of respect for Swayze, watching him in crippling pain trying to get that leap off the stage just right.

No kidding, talk about real trooper. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to do that scene take after take with each take hurting even more. That's definitely the sign of a truly dedicated professional, it's a pity that he never made it bigger and that he died so young.

Did they make any new ones? I only saw a handful of movies covered last I checked.

They just added back to the future, pretty woman. Jurassic park, and forest Gump.

It's like the previous run, the big name actors and directors, in general, are not interviewed.

All 4 new ones are good.
You get used to the British narrator, but I miss the original one still.

I watched three of them (don't care about Pretty Woman), thought they were all good, but the Forrest Gump one I felt was poorly edited. Too much of a shot-gun barrage of edits. It was literally one person starting a sentence then cut to someone else finishing it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back