The most useless people in Hollywood ?

Rotwang

Sr Member
Got into a bit of a discussion on another forum about this little Avengers feature (Marvel's Avengers Assemble - Black Widow Interrogation Scene - Official | HD - YouTube). I just corrected somebody who said Scarlett was awesome to "her stunt double looks good too" and I got a bucketful.

If the behind the scenes stuff on DVD's are to be believed stuntpeople are the most useless people in the industry, they may have closets full of gold medals, performed martial arts since they could walk, but somehow the stuntmen never quite manage to do it properly and the take with the actor doing their own stunt is always perfect.

When the Matrix came out I was physically assaulted by fan who could not accept the idea that Keanu and the gang were nothing less that Kung Fu gods and did not require mere mortals to do their stunts for them.

I understand that people want their favorite actor/actress to be a kickass superhero, and that some actors/actresses are so afraid for their reputation they claim they never use stunt doubles, and Hollywood likes a good story over the truth, but as David Hasslehoff said : "I had stuntmen, everybody uses stuntmen, anybody who says they don't need stuntmen, is a liar."

DC put out a comic called Real Facts in the 1940s. They had an issue about how serials were made and said that actors have to train to do their own because doubles are discouraged. Considering that stuntmen wre the most important people in cliffhangers, I just had to laugh.
Even Harrison Ford gives major props to the stunt people.

Wolf

Well, the definition of a 'stunt person' is someone who'll do something an actor won't. If an actor refuses to twirl a pen between his fingers, the person who actually performs the act is considered a stunt man.

HOWEVER, I agree that the ones who do the dangerous stuff get short shrift in a lot of fan's minds. The actors are expected to do more of their own stunts by the fans these days, but that doesn't mean that they don't use stunt doubles.

I was going to say Brett Ratner.

I liked the first two Rush Hour films, After the Sunset wasn't bad, but wasn't great, and I thought his adaptation of Red Dragon was pretty decent. As for his X-Men: The Last Stand film... I still don't know how I feel about that.

I'm going to be dating myself a bit here: one of my favourite Burt Reynolds movies is "Hooper" (in which he plays a Hollywood stuntman). Although it is for the most part a comedy, there are some pretty spectacular stunts in that old school film.

Ironically Reynolds got his start as a stuntman didn't he?

Kevin

Stunt men are used all the time. And body doubles too, for nude scenes. And the actresses/actors often pick the stand-in themselves to make sure they look 'good enough' , when the stand-ins actually are much better looking.
Have an honest look at almost any actor and you can see they aren't really that good looking. But they have the aura of fame, and a powerful personality.

Most useless? Execs. Especially modern execs. They have no idea. They don't know art. They would sell toasters if it had the same money.
Script readers have no special skills. It is an entry level position in the company. They read page 1, page 60 and the last page and write up some 'coverage' of what they think.
A test was done where famous scripts were re-titled and sent to readers. [ Casablanca was called Ricks Place] They all said all the scripts sucked. So not only can they not recognize a good story, they can't recognize a famous movie.
Hollywood is based on scripts, and everyone there hates to read.

I think the title of the thread says it all.. Hollywood. The "industry", and anyone involved in the business side of it, they're all useless.

The only people who are useless on set are the suits visiting from Hollywood (since no movies are actually made there anymore). Everyone who's actually working on the film is probably busting their asses, too many hours a day, for too little pay.

Whoever puts together most of the bonus features on the home video releases doesn't really help, either. The only people they ever talk to are the director and the main actors. From those videos, you'd swear there's only four or five people on set at any given time. And most of the non-savvy audience probably thinks that's the way it is.

The Michael Bay movies are a good example. I was watching TF3 recently, and there's a scene where Laserbeak is rampaging through an office, making an absolute mess out of everything. And the only thing I can think is "I feel sorry for the poor SOB that had to clean up after that scene..."

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back