The most accurate ANH Vader helmet out there?

Fatherless One

Gone but not forgotten.
Simple question, but what's the answer?

There seems to be a few different versions used in ANH, different masks, different domes, different combinations of both?

Whadahyathink?

Alan.

Originally posted by Fatherless One@Feb 11 2006, 02:17 PM
Simple question, but what's the answer?

There seems to be a few different versions used in ANH, different masks, different domes, different combinations of both?

Whadahyathink?

Alan.
[snapback]1181670[/snapback]​

eeeek, this is going to cause a few fights.

As to what helmet has the most provenance I'd say the Ghost Host. However if you're looking for a helmet which looks closest to that seen on-screen in ANH, so I'd probably say a helmet based on the 20thCentury face, along with a Ghost Host dome.

AFAIK a number of propmakers have done this, although I dont think any of them admitted to it.

Cheers

Jez

Yea, if it wasn't coming from Alan I'd say it sounded like a loaded question looking to start sparks.

I'd have to agree with Jez, a GH helmet with a modified 20th Century mask would probably be most screen accurate.

:lol

If you want my opinion then the SPFX and JB V2 are currently the best examples of an ANH Vader helmet. I believe the JB version doesn't come with any dome mounting tabs so that puts the SPFX slightly ahead in my opinion.

Here's my older SPFX helmet which has the narrower neck.

ANH Vader Helmet

Interesting to note that BOTH of those helmets are actually made from the very parts that Jez and GH are suggesting.

Chris

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 11 2006, 03:21 PM

If you want my opinion then the SPFX and JB V2 are currently the best examples of an ANH Vader helmet. I believe the JB version doesn't come with any dome mounting tabs so that puts the SPFX slightly ahead in my opinion.

ANH Vader Helmet
[snapback]1181704[/snapback]​

Originally posted by cking+Feb 11 2006, 03:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cking @ Feb 11 2006, 03:28 PM)</div>
Interesting to note that BOTH of those helmets are actually made from the very parts that Jez and GH are suggesting.

Chris

<!--QuoteBegin-RKW
@Feb 11 2006, 03:21 PM

ANH Vader Helmet
[snapback]1181706[/snapback]​
[/b]

This may or may not be it, as I don't recall, that anyone have proved it otherwise, you can't say this for sure. No matter how our opinions are on the different vader helmets.
The only one that comes closest to the screen used helmet, as for the accuracy goes, no one comes even near, the SPFX, ATM. Yes I know this may be subject to some :confused But with all of this, so called guarded national security level of secrecy, going on in the vader community, no one is better than others, in this, NO ONE.

Dan

Originally posted by Darth Phaeton+Feb 11 2006, 10:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ Feb 11 2006, 10:43 AM)</div>
Originally posted by cking@Feb 11 2006, 03:28 PM

Chris

<!--QuoteBegin-RKW

ANH Vader Helmet

This may or may not be it, as I don't recall, that anyone have proved it otherwise, you can't say this for sure. No matter how our opinions are on the different vader helmets.
The only one that comes closest to the screen used helmet, as for the accuracy goes, no one comes even near, the SPFX, ATM. Yes I know this may be subject to some :confused But with all of this, so called guarded national security level of secrecy, going on in the vader community, no one is better than others, in this, NO ONE.

Dan
[snapback]1181715[/snapback]​
[/b]

...a little confused Dan....in one line you're saying the SPFX is by far the most accurate....the next line you're saying no one is better than the other.

Personally, I have my own preferneces...which I'll keep to myself as it seems that once you note a preference publicly, you're officially allied to that maker with all the benefits and/or liabilities that implies....

The ONLY way to say definitively which fan built is the most accurate is to take measurements from an actual screen used lid and compare....whichever is the closest wins. Otherwise, it's just eyeballing it and making claims....

Originally posted by Ghost Host@Feb 11 2006, 03:14 PM
Yea, if it wasn't coming from Alan I'd say it sounded like a loaded question looking to start sparks. 

Well, you are entitled to feel this way, but just remember that most of us Vader fans are genuine interested in the HOBBY, and not in the political game and hidden agendas as some of you are, which BTW are giving this Hobby a bad rep.

BTW I have a huge respect for your knowledge, but if you aren't willing to share, don't pass it under our noses, you just make people like me wonder if you really are as blessed as you all claim to be.

Dan

Originally posted by KevVader+Feb 11 2006, 03:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Feb 11 2006, 03:52 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Darth Phaeton@Feb 11 2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by cking@Feb 11 2006, 03:28 PM

Chris

<!--QuoteBegin-RKW

ANH Vader Helmet

Dan
[snapback]1181715[/snapback]​

...a little confused Dan....in one line you're saying the SPFX is by far the most accurate....the next line you're saying no one is better than the other.

Personally, I have my own preferneces...which I'll keep to myself as it seems that once you note a preference publicly, you're officially allied to that maker with all the benefits and/or liabilities that implies....

The ONLY way to say definitively which fan built is the most accurate is to take measurements from an actual screen used lid and compare....whichever is the closest wins. Otherwise, it's just eyeballing it and making claims....
[snapback]1181718[/snapback]​
[/b]

I can make my own oppinion out, on how I personaly need to accept things, and I can, with my head raised high, honestly say that I'm not biased in any way in regards to all of this mess, but I know what I like and what I don't, I don't need some one to form my oppinion for me.

Dan.

Hey Dan,

With all due respect, the fact that the SPFX has been through SEVERAL upgrades (which can be clearly seen and documented by the photos he's released on ebay in the past) is evidence enough (to prove to me at least) that what he's offering is not really cast directly from an ANH helmet.
If it WAS cast directly from a real ANH helmet, why on earth would be need to keep upgrading it every time he finds a new detail that is missing from his current version? That's not speculation - it's factual information based on the history and revisions that the SPFX helmet has been through to get it to where it's at today.

Don't get me wrong, I think the SPFX helmet is an awesome looking ANH Vader. I'd give him a lot more credit if he'd be truthful about it's origins instead of hiding behind the "cast from an original" crap that he continues with.

At least the JB Version 2 doesn't claim to be cast from an original ANH helmet, but it HAS been reverse engineered to make it a very close facsimile of the original.

Chris

I think I agree with that Tyler. The darthjones helmet is the closest in my opinion too, but I wasn't sure if Fatherless One was asking about helmets which are still obtainable. The darthjones helmet is one of a kind as far as I'm aware.

Chris

Originally posted by cking@Feb 11 2006, 04:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think the SPFX helmet is an awesome looking ANH Vader. I'd give him a lot more credit if he'd be truthful about it's origins instead of hiding behind the "cast from an original" crap that he continues with.

Chris
[snapback]1181726[/snapback]​

Hey Chris.
This is excatly my point, I'm not talking pedigree here, or accuracy of the claims involved, I'm only talking about the accuracy of the helmet hold up to the screenused helmet. I personaly don't care about the Pedigree, I go solely by the looks.

Dan

....and that's what happens in these types of threads. Opinion is sometimes stated as fact....which gets everyone pi$$ed off and flame wars go on for pages.

Unless you can match up dimensions from an actual screen used piece, I don't think anyone can lay claim to "cast from a screen used".....

That was my point.....

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Feb 11 2006, 11:14 AM
Opps. I wasn't clear from the subject whether it was available helmets or helmets in general (including one-ofs).
[snapback]1181737[/snapback]​

I think DJ's helmet counts....Alan didn't specify readily available.....

Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 11 2006, 04:13 PM
....and that's what happens in these types of threads. Opinion is sometimes stated as fact....which gets everyone pi$$ed off and flame wars go on for pages.

Unless you can match up dimensions from an actual screen used piece, I don't think anyone can lay claim to "cast from a screen used".....

That was my point.....
[snapback]1181736[/snapback]​

I back you on that Kev. :thumbsup

So folks, and so called learned, of all things Vader, it's time to drop the cloaks, and share all that you have on this black fella. In the name of education and peace. :)

Dan

Originally posted by Darth Phaeton+Feb 11 2006, 11:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ Feb 11 2006, 11:17 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Feb 11 2006, 04:13 PM

That was my point.....
[snapback]1181736[/snapback]​

I back you on that Kev. :thumbsup

So folks, and so called learned, of all things Vader, it's time to drop the cloaks, and share all that you have on this black fella. In the name of education and peace. :)

Dan
[snapback]1181741[/snapback]​
[/b]

Ha. well said.....and that would be a refreshing change too. :D

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back