The most accurate ANH Vader helmet out there?

Originally posted by yakcam@Feb 12 2006, 03:07 AM
Here ya go......

20c-v-GH2.jpg

My first pics were in the mid morning, these are in the early evening, so the lighting's different.

Hey Alan  :)  ....A PM is on it's way soon.

Cheers,

Kraig

Edit: I just noticed that the GH is looking more upward too
[snapback]1182275[/snapback]​

I would have to say your helmets are beuitful, i'm loving the 20th C face with the GH dome.
But i find it odd how everytime this topic, is posted it always breed a small war?
i understand there is some bad blood, behind old Rpf members that are now banded and rpf members still here, over recasting and such.
I just find it odd how no one here owns the rights to starwars... so why fight about or keeps secerts about vader helmets armor etc. But on the other hand i do understand
what it's like to work hard on somthing and then someone else steal your work and market it off as there own.
But you have to understand live and let live, life is to sort to fight over somthing so small :angel
Believe it or not, i am a bit of a comic book artest but i have given up on my dream, i have had one of my ideas stolen from me by a big name company... i wont say the name of the company, i dont want to be sue'd.. i was pis*d beyond words
but i had to let it go. i hope they have alot of sucess with my idea, better in the comics then in a box in my sketch pad in my closet. But i did learn somthing threw the whole thing copyrights.
witch no one here has on the vader helmets.

All these helmets kick ass if theres anything anyone should be pis*ed about is the price of these helmets :angry lol

Hey GZ,

Thanks for your kind comment :)

Welcome to all things Vader, it can get rough, but it can also create satisfying results.

Enjoy :)

Cheers,

Kraig

Originally posted by SithLord@Feb 12 2006, 02:22 AM

The spirit of this great hobby I think is also the enjoyment of seeking out the answers for ourselves and not just accept what others say....if someone doesn't believe me I won't hold it against them and encourage them to find out for themselves...and then I'll feel like I'm not alone in trying to find out the answers....

That's a good point Thomas. I agree with you there. Perhaps we should all make a little more effort into helping each other find answers rather than relying on others to do all the work.

Originally posted by yakcam@Feb 12 2006, 09:13 AM

Welcome to all things Vader, it can get rough, but it can also create satisfying results.

Yes, it sure can be rough at times but I think the payoff is worth it. I have learned so much since I have been here and I continue to learn everyday.

Yes, but it wouldn't be true.

I had 2 molds of the mask. After my short original run, people wanted more so to be fair to the original group, I destroyed the first mold and remolded the mask with one real alteration, the nail scratch below the right eye. I also removed the overspray texture on it. Whenever you see a thinner necked GH mask, it was at the request of a customer. All you have to do is not tuck in the corners of the neck in the mold. I laugh whenever I read about certain people making suppositions about how I've remolded it with change after change.

An interesting point about the GH helmet is that the size is still about the largest out there. Still slightly smaller than an original but a good way to see it's "heritage".

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 12 2006, 03:16 AM
If you want this to just be a pissing match then I could equally say that GH also made alterations to his helmet over time trying to make it look more accurate.

Originally posted by Ghost Host+Feb 12 2006, 04:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghost Host @ Feb 12 2006, 04:28 PM)</div>
Yes, but it wouldn't be true. 

I had 2 molds of the mask.  After my short original run, people wanted more so to be fair to the original group, I destroyed the first mold and remolded the mask with one real alteration, the nail scratch below the right eye.  I also removed the overspray texture on it.  Whenever you see a thinner necked GH mask, it was at the request of a customer.  All you have to do is not tuck in the corners of the neck in the mold.  I laugh whenever I read about certain people making suppositions about how I've remolded it with change after change. 
[/b]

My mistake GH. I should have said you made all the alterations at the same time :rolleyes

<!--QuoteBegin-Ghost Host
@Feb 12 2006, 04:28 PM
An interesting point about the GH helmet is that the size is still about the largest out there.  Still slightly smaller than an original but a good way to see it's "heritage".

You're kidding right? I just knew that FX TK helmet was made from original molds :lol

How you can talk about heritage when the face mask is backwards with other abnomilies is beyond me. If the 20thC helmet is considered say 100th Generation then Jeff's helmet must be a 1000 generations down the line.

Originally posted by SithLord@Feb 12 2006, 12:50 AM

The 20th century is very far down the helmet lineage from the original ANH....
[snapback]1182222[/snapback]​

I'm curious as to this statement.....As I understood it, the 20C was cast off an ESB film helmet, and the ESB was cast off the ANH...hence the tabs. So wouldn't that make the 20C a 2nd gen to the ESB and 3rd gen to the ANH? Or is it 1st gen to the ESB and 2nd gen to the ANH? .....Who's on first? :p

No, not kidding at all. :p
"ALL the alterations"... a dot of bondo on the cheek and some paint remover. I could barely keep track of all those changes. Thanks for keeping me honest there. :lol

Originally posted by RKW+Feb 12 2006, 08:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ Feb 12 2006, 08:53 AM)</div>
My mistake GH. I should have said you made all the alterations at the same time 

<!--QuoteBegin-Ghost Host
@Feb 12 2006, 04:28 PM
An interesting point about the GH helmet is that the size is still about the largest out there.  Still slightly smaller than an original but a good way to see it's "heritage".

You're kidding right? I just knew that FX TK helmet was made from original molds :lol

[/b]

Originally posted by KevVader+Feb 12 2006, 05:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Feb 12 2006, 05:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SithLord
@Feb 12 2006, 12:50 AM

I'm curious as to this statement.....As I understood it, the 20C was cast off an ESB film helmet, and the ESB was cast off the ANH...hence the tabs. So wouldn't that make the 20C a 2nd gen to the ESB and 3rd gen to the ANH? Or is it 1st gen to the ESB and 2nd gen to the ANH? .....Who's on first? :p
[snapback]1182461[/snapback]​
[/b]

... Now I'm confused :confused

I always thought the 20C helmet was termed that because it was cast from a Twentieth Century Fox-commissioned promotion costume helmet and not a screen used one.

.. and is there more than one individual source for 20C helmets? There's the helmet that Ojika and cking came into possession of which if it's the helmet I'm thinking of came through a succession of owners (including a mate of mine) from J.Joiner.

But are there other helmets from other people that are also known as Twentieth Century Fox helmets?? (cuz that could get very confusing.)

They're among the best in my opinion and the one that's very slowly becoming my Vader Reveal has very sharp detail.

Jeremy

Originally posted by yakcam@Feb 12 2006, 04:07 AM
Here ya go......

20c-v-GH2.jpg

Excellent photo, Kraig.

I would like to draw attention to something and anyone here can play with this comparison in photoshop to show it...in an overlay of the two helmets. The GH dome is larger than the SPFX. The GH dome is larger as well than the JB V2. I have a recast JB V2 dome that I was told by JB was a real GH dome. It wasn't until the paint was removed that it was found not to be a GH dome. Now I'm not raising this point because I'm saying one is better than the other, but size will indicate provenance. Take those two domes in the photo above, and place them with their bottom edges touching each other like this <>. You will see what I mean....I've done this with my JB V2 dome, with an SPFX dome I had, and my GH master dome and the difference is striking....why would the GH dome be larger than the JB V2 and SPFX domes? In a word....shrinkage from remolding. There are some collectors here that are starting to have both a GH and either an SPFX or JB V2 helmet....so it's something fun you can try at home.... :)

:cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 12 2006, 12:56 PM
It won't take a rocket scientist to realise that the domes in that pic are at different angles  ;)
[snapback]1182536[/snapback]​

Hehe. I was gonna say that too.

Originally posted by gonk27+Feb 12 2006, 06:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonk27 @ Feb 12 2006, 06:02 PM)</div>
Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 12 2006, 05:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SithLord
@Feb 12 2006, 12:50 AM

[snapback]1182461[/snapback]​

... Now I'm confused :confused

I always thought the 20C helmet was termed that because it was cast from a Twentieth Century Fox-commissioned promotion costume helmet and not a screen used one.

.. and is there more than one individual source for 20C helmets? There's the helmet that Ojika and cking came into possession of which if it's the helmet I'm thinking of came through a succession of owners (including a mate of mine) from J.Joiner.

But are there other helmets from other people that are also known as Twentieth Century Fox helmets?? (cuz that could get very confusing.)

They're among the best in my opinion and the one that's very slowly becoming my Vader Reveal has very sharp detail.

Jeremy
[snapback]1182495[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes but what do you think Twentieth Century fox copied it off?

No Vader maker is calling their helmet a 20thC. The name is being used by us to describe the proposed base model used in its creation.

Originally posted by clutch+Feb 12 2006, 02:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Feb 12 2006, 02:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-RKW
@Feb 12 2006, 12:56 PM
It won't take a rocket scientist to realise that the domes in that pic are at different angles  ;)
[snapback]1182536[/snapback]​

Hehe. I was gonna say that too.
[snapback]1182537[/snapback]​
[/b]

Don't take my word for it...measure them...

Originally posted by temponaut@Feb 12 2006, 02:04 PM
Great thread.

I'm learning a lot through this debate. 

Thanks to all for sharing your opinions.  Keep it comin'.  :)
[snapback]1182543[/snapback]​

Indeed. And a big Thanks. to the Vader helmet owners who share pics for comparison. As a noob getting into the hobby I really appreciate the education. It's quite eye opening.

Originally posted by SithLord@Feb 12 2006, 06:21 PM
I would like to draw attention to something and anyone here can play with this comparison in photoshop to show it...in an overlay of the two helmets. The GH dome is larger than the SPFX. The GH dome is larger as well than the JB V2. I have a recast JB V2 dome that I was told by JB was a real GH dome. It wasn't until the paint was removed that it was found not to be a GH dome. Now I'm not raising this point because I'm saying one is better than the other, but size will indicate provenance. Take those two domes in the photo above, and place them with their bottom edges touching each other like this <>. You will see what I mean....I've done this with my JB V2 dome, with an SPFX dome I had, and my GH master dome and the difference is striking....why would the GH dome be larger than the JB V2 and SPFX domes? In a word....shrinkage from remolding. There are some collectors here that are starting to have both a GH and either an SPFX or JB V2 helmet....so it's something fun you can try at home.... :)

:cheers,

Thomas
[snapback]1182509[/snapback]​

Hi Guys,
I've been wondering if I should enter this fray and here's my cue. Thomas brings up an excellent point and one I am working on at the moment. I own both an SPFX and GH and he's right--in a way. The SPFX Dome is actually shorter than the GH by about 1/4 inch--but isn't smaller in any other dimension. At some point, based on his constant research, SPFX must have decided that the dome was too long and after doing the same comparisons myself for months I can see where he would have reached that conclusion mistaken as it is. I've made measurements of the domes and faceplates and for the most part they are identical in size. Where they are not, at least on the faceplate, it is Don Post's, or GH's modifications (ie the bull neck), to the GH that differ rather than the 20th Century's.
Putting the two domes side by side there's something about the GH Dome that just looks more "right" than the SPFX, yet there are details on the SPFX that look closer.

GHDomevSPFXDome_01sm.jpg

The two other areas of the SPFX dome that have been modified are the stripe down the middle which has been sharpened and, IMO, made more accurate, and the "eyebrows" of the dome which, again IMO, have not. I'll get to those issues later because I haven't worked on them yet. Here are some pics of the beginnings of my modifications to the SPFX dome:

SPFXDomeModified_03sm_1.jpg

SPFXDomeModified_05sm_1.jpg

SPFXDomeModified_10sm_1.jpg

Here's some progress:

SPFXDomeModified_11sm.jpg

After I finish with the bondo on the sides I'm going to have a crack at the "eyebrows" which have been sharpened and to some extent rounded-which is the point of innacuracy I'm after to correct. I don't have any pics that demonstrate this at the moment. It was one of those "aha" moments. I figured once I made the dome longer they would match (except for the center stripe) but they didn't. After staring at them for ages I think that's where they differ. Hope this makes sense (I'll try to get some pics together to demostrate the issue).

As always thanks to Wackychimp for image hosting.

Dave C

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back