The Most Accurate 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver???

And as accurate as that $4k sonic is, I'd bet that (without a close-up) in 99.5% of "action-pose" costume pics, you wouldn't be able to tell that from the CO "toy".

Plus, at $4k, would you dare risk taking it to a con?

Small studio prop (sonic screwdriver) or small studio (Canon 5D HD capable camera, tripod, multiple lenses, portable lighting equipment, & boom mic).

I can't blame anyone who can afford one of these without blinking, but my choice is clear.

Here it is. The most accurate 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver.
For the incredibly low price of $3,999.95 .....

Is there really a market for a $4000 sonic screwdriver? I'm sorry QMx, but I think that price is insane!

https://store.qmxonline.com/11th-Doctors-Sonic-Screwdriver--Artisan-Master-Series_p_163.html

Ah good. this means I was only wrong for one day!

Does QmX know what "Hero prop" means? I find this quote from their website confusing:

"This is not a replica. As part of the QMx Artisan Master Series, this is a real hero prop."

If I read that and didn't know any better, I would think they were selling me a piece that was used in the show, handled by Matt Smith, and was used for closeup work. THAT is what a "real hero prop" is. While I understand what they are trying to do, their wording is totally wrong. It IS a replica. It is NOT one that was used in the show, but is a reproduction of it. Therefore, it's a replica.

However, I do think it is VERY cool that it is made by Nick, who made them for the show. I think what they mean to say is "You'll NEVER get closer to owning a hero prop, as this one is to the same specs, using the same materials, made by the same guy who made them for the show"

And honestly, I think 4k is a fair price. When you consider how much work goes into one of these, the materials used, AND the fact that it has such a perfect pedigree, I think it's fair. For those that always whine about "cheap crap from china", this is your alternative. I'm guessing it will get you whining too :lol

why would it be so hard and expensive to make this prop?
Take apart the toy version ,Remake all part in metal, leather and such and then fit the toy light and sound card inside it.

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would have done it. A prop like this, with so many moving parts, and so many detailed parts, is not something you can just crank out over the weekend on a lathe, and expect to get it right.

In comparison to the Tennant/Eccleston sonic, this one is much more complicated, IMHO.

As a strictly low numbered prop made by NR himself, I think it's an OK price. It is aimed at the very high end of collectors and the price will obviously have to reflect the time involved in making it by just one person, the exclusivity, as well as the cuts QMx and the BBC will have to take. If this was the Future Sonic I'd not hesitate for a second. As it is, I'm not too keen on this particular prop, or the Eleventh Doctor so I'll be passing. I like the stand, but the vacu-formed insert and cigar box seems a tad on the cheap side for such a prop.

Overall it is quite cool that they are doing this edition though. the description about it being an 'actual' hero prop is misleading/badly worded.

This being made by Nick Robatto himself to the original specifications and design makes this a highly desirable piece, but for me, that is what it shall remain, desirable. Although I understand fully the price and why it is so expensive, I just could not justify splashing out the cash on what is really just a fancy flashlight.

Such a shame, I really would like to have one of these. I do wonder how QMX will tackle their own replica, but it just wouldn't be the same with the knowledge that Nick Robatto had made such a limited run riding on the back of QMX's license.

Holluba

Does that mean it has no sound? Doesnt really matter to me, in no way interested in spending 4k on a sonic.

Same as the prop. No sound. It's not something you could actually fiddle about with much anyway. The prop is quite delicate, which is why they have 5 of them, and loads of backup/replacement parts to aid quick repairs. It's a strictly display only piece that you'd only handle sparingly.

Gotta have this one :lol
High price but impossible to beat as a collectors item.
Kind of wish they had done a 10 or river sonic instead, I like those a bit better (maybe they will)

I signed up on the waiting list... Hopefully that means I have it preordered.
I'm thinking a payment plan on paypal to afford it XD
Then in 20 years I'll sell it with a 100% profit to afford a new house.
Then I'll save up and buy a replica of the Doctor's sonic at that time so I'll have a way to pay for my retirement.
(Look at that...sounds like a plan.) :lol:lol

I'd love one of these, but as my wife said, "if you are planning to spend $4k on something, you better be driving home in it."

Small studio prop (sonic screwdriver) or small studio (Canon 5D HD capable camera, tripod, multiple lenses, portable lighting equipment, & boom mic).

I can't blame anyone who can afford one of these without blinking, but my choice is clear.

You and me both. Heck, I'd buy a sweet lighting set up to boot.

Same as the prop. No sound. It's not something you could actually fiddle about with much anyway. The prop is quite delicate, which is why they have 5 of them, and loads of backup/replacement parts to aid quick repairs. It's a strictly display only piece that you'd only handle sparingly.

I really hope it looks better than the props. I've seen a lot of close-up, detailed photos of 4 of the screen-used props and they would not look great on display. In fairness, they had been through a season or two of filming, but they were clearly not meant to be scrutinized up-close. For $4,000, I hope Nick prettied them up some.

Four grand? Pocket change! I have it right he...oh, wait, that's pocket lint. Never mind!

Ah, the joys of being rich...I wish I knew them. ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back