The Most Accurate 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver???

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Underworld54, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Underworld54

Underworld54 Well-Known Member

Is there one you guys could recommend to me either on this site or on any internet store sites? I just got back into Doctor Who after a many year hiatus and I just love the new series. I'd like get a few props.

2. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

For the moment, I'm going to suggest the Character Options toy.
    As of now, no higher end versions exist and the version that IS an actual screwdriver doesn't open (and honestly, looks cheaper than the toy).

3. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Qmx is the company that has the license from BBC and they have stated that they will be releasing a very accurate replica in the future.

5. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just out of curiosity, are we pretending that MFX and CT don't exist? While the character options one is currently in production, I hardly think it's fair to call it the only game in town.

I believe one of each is available in the junkyard right now.

6. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Neither of these companies have produced the 11th Doctor's Sonic I'm afraid.

7. MattMunson

RATS! You got me there dude! :lol

I missed the part about it being the ELEVENTH doctor. lol. My bad.

8. Organic Mechanic

Well, because it's Xmas, you get a pass. :lol

9. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

10. Organic Mechanic

Wow. Just wow.

A few disjointed observations:

4k is one hell of a lot. But if I had it to spare, I'd gladly pay it for a Sonic made my Nick himself. It's not the kind of offer one finds every day.

QMx is finally selling a Sonic...or at least taking the dreaded pre-order...but they still haven't actually MADE a Sonic to sell.

11. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. That's a lot of money. It looks like a great piece. But thats still an aweful lot of cash.

12. HeroWorship

HeroWorship Well-Known Member

13. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

I can only see that prop going up in value at some future date, If I had to make a prop similar to that of Matt Smith’s sonic, I would think that it would cost close to that to manufacture, and that’s just for one sonic only, and we are only talking 25 units, and made by the man him self.

And I quote from Qmx site

“Each 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver – Artisan Master Series comes with a custom-built, lighted display stand that features text in the language of Gallifrey, Doctor Who's home planet. The stand lists the edition number and is signed by Nick Robatto. The sonic and stand come packaged in a handmade wooden chest that features the Doctor Who logo”.

Members, you asked for the most screen accurate Sonic, and here it is, yes may have to sell a kidney to get one, but, you do have two. Or you could just go to the bank, like you would do to purchase that car, that you don't need to impress that family up the road that you don't like.

As a manufacture, not of props, but of mechanical equipment, I do see the value in that Matt Smith Sonic.

14. Asterisktec

Asterisktec New Member

If you can wait a while I know that CT is working on a Matt Smith sonic but he's trying to work out the "kinks" in the design to make it more reliable.
    I can vouch for his work, it's of a very high standard and you won't be dissapointed.

15. Contec

Contec Master Member

why would it be so hard and expensive to make this prop?
    Take apart the toy version ,Remake all part in metal, leather and such and then fit the toy light and sound card inside it.

16. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

I look forward to reading your hand made build thread, of the screen accurate Matt Smith Sonic.

17. Asterisktec

Asterisktec New Member

If the toy is anything like the Tennant sonic it's usually bigger the actual prop and all the parts are usually hollow so plenty of places to add stuff such as electronics, I can only assume that in making it from metal there would be less room and other factors to consider when designing it... dunno really :)

18. Asterisktec

Asterisktec New Member

$4000 ... FFS, that's just insane. Beautiful work but really? ... I could buy a new(ish) car for that!

19. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow I really didnt think they were going to actually make one. $4,000 jeez!

20. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

$4000.00 each, run of 25. Make a quick $100,000.00 then take the rest of the year off! Why didn't I think of that! :lol

21. Underworld54

Any clue when the less expensive most accurate ones will be available? I'd pay that for Amy Pond but not for a Sonic. :$

Organic Mechanic likes this.
  22. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^This lol

23. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

And as accurate as that $4k sonic is, I'd bet that (without a close-up) in 99.5% of "action-pose" costume pics, you wouldn't be able to tell that from the CO "toy".

Plus, at $4k, would you dare risk taking it to a con?

24. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3K for my BTTF shoes is really my limit.
    Very sad, they should have done these for $500.

25. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

QMx still plans to release a much larger edition replica of the 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver at a later date.

26. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yeah, so we keep getting told.
    Any word though on CTs sonic release?

27. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Small studio prop (sonic screwdriver) or small studio (Canon 5D HD capable camera, tripod, multiple lenses, portable lighting equipment, & boom mic).

I can't blame anyone who can afford one of these without blinking, but my choice is clear.

28. MattMunson

Ah good. this means I was only wrong for one day!

Does QmX know what "Hero prop" means? I find this quote from their website confusing:

"This is not a replica. As part of the QMx Artisan Master Series, this is a real hero prop."

If I read that and didn't know any better, I would think they were selling me a piece that was used in the show, handled by Matt Smith, and was used for closeup work. THAT is what a "real hero prop" is. While I understand what they are trying to do, their wording is totally wrong. It IS a replica. It is NOT one that was used in the show, but is a reproduction of it. Therefore, it's a replica.

However, I do think it is VERY cool that it is made by Nick, who made them for the show. I think what they mean to say is "You'll NEVER get closer to owning a hero prop, as this one is to the same specs, using the same materials, made by the same guy who made them for the show"

And honestly, I think 4k is a fair price. When you consider how much work goes into one of these, the materials used, AND the fact that it has such a perfect pedigree, I think it's fair. For those that always whine about "cheap crap from china", this is your alternative. I'm guessing it will get you whining too :lol

29. MattMunson

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would have done it. A prop like this, with so many moving parts, and so many detailed parts, is not something you can just crank out over the weekend on a lathe, and expect to get it right.

In comparison to the Tennant/Eccleston sonic, this one is much more complicated, IMHO.

30. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

As a strictly low numbered prop made by NR himself, I think it's an OK price. It is aimed at the very high end of collectors and the price will obviously have to reflect the time involved in making it by just one person, the exclusivity, as well as the cuts QMx and the BBC will have to take. If this was the Future Sonic I'd not hesitate for a second. As it is, I'm not too keen on this particular prop, or the Eleventh Doctor so I'll be passing. I like the stand, but the vacu-formed insert and cigar box seems a tad on the cheap side for such a prop.

Overall it is quite cool that they are doing this edition though. the description about it being an 'actual' hero prop is misleading/badly worded.

31. Holluba

Holluba Active Member

This being made by Nick Robatto himself to the original specifications and design makes this a highly desirable piece, but for me, that is what it shall remain, desirable. Although I understand fully the price and why it is so expensive, I just could not justify splashing out the cash on what is really just a fancy flashlight.

Such a shame, I really would like to have one of these. I do wonder how QMX will tackle their own replica, but it just wouldn't be the same with the knowledge that Nick Robatto had made such a limited run riding on the back of QMX's license.

Holluba

32. shdl

shdl Active Member

Does that mean it has no sound? Doesnt really matter to me, in no way interested in spending 4k on a sonic.

33. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

Same as the prop. No sound. It's not something you could actually fiddle about with much anyway. The prop is quite delicate, which is why they have 5 of them, and loads of backup/replacement parts to aid quick repairs. It's a strictly display only piece that you'd only handle sparingly.

34. phez

phez Sr Member

Gotta have this one :lol
    High price but impossible to beat as a collectors item.
    Kind of wish they had done a 10 or river sonic instead, I like those a bit better (maybe they will)

35. thedoctornathan

thedoctornathan New Member

I signed up on the waiting list... Hopefully that means I have it preordered.
    I'm thinking a payment plan on paypal to afford it XD
    Then in 20 years I'll sell it with a 100% profit to afford a new house.
    Then I'll save up and buy a replica of the Doctor's sonic at that time so I'll have a way to pay for my retirement.
    (Look at that...sounds like a plan.) :lol:lol

36. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

I'd love one of these, but as my wife said, "if you are planning to spend $4k on something, you better be driving home in it."

37. kursosawa

kursosawa Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You and me both. Heck, I'd buy a sweet lighting set up to boot.

38. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

39. jedibugs

jedibugs Well-Known Member

I really hope it looks better than the props. I've seen a lot of close-up, detailed photos of 4 of the screen-used props and they would not look great on display. In fairness, they had been through a season or two of filming, but they were clearly not meant to be scrutinized up-close. For $4,000, I hope Nick prettied them up some.

40. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Four grand? Pocket change! I have it right he...oh, wait, that's pocket lint. Never mind!

Ah, the joys of being rich...I wish I knew them. ;)

41. LeAngeSolitaire

LeAngeSolitaire Well-Known Member

That's an insane price. It's very nice and 100% accurate but to put it into perspective you could buy 2 and 3 quarter BSG Colonial vipers or a 3 foot Enterprise model with all the lights for $1000 more. I paid less for a full size Dalek. QMx have not made many friends here.

I'm out.

42. DrkMatter

DrkMatter Well-Known Member

The price is just flat out insane IMHO.

43. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

You actually have a valid point there. It's not actually a QMx piece. I could buy a ThisPlanetEarth full size weeping angel for the garden for less. Now that is cool!

ANGEL WEEPING

44. Underworld54

Now that is very sweet...I'd love to have that.

45. Mr.Spider

Mr.Spider Well-Known Member

that is a rediculous price..... hell a Ghostbusters Proton Pack with lights and sounds'll go for 2,500.....3 tops lower end of 1,500.... no way would I pay 4 grand.... but I guess to those who wipe with hundreds this'll make a lovely paperweight

46. phez

phez Sr Member

I think what we have to remember here is that this particular piece is not obviously target marketed for the people who are thinking I could get X or Y made by X or Y for less than that. At 25 pieces this is meant for someone who really wants the exact piece the actor on the show used made by the same person using the same materials. If a replacement piece was needed for the show they would be handed one of these. It looks like studio prop prices. If you are a fan of Nick's work on DrWho here is your chance to get a hero piece of the most popular prop from the show made by the man himself.

Let's be realistic here, when they are done with the Sonics if the real ones ever went to auction they would likely be completely out of hand and these 25 will likely go up massively. There is no way these will go down in value. I think QMX has really hit on something getting the high end props made by show prop makers themselves. If you are a Trek fan, imagine if Wah Chang made up 25 extra communicators when he made the originals for the show. Now think if you could buy one of those original 25 today. I think you can see what they are doing.

My guess is that this is already sold out on the waiting list, I don't think the goal here was to make friends, it was to knock one out of the ball park. They are making a less expensive mass produced version so I am not sure what the fuss on this piece is about.

Good point LOL, but I think having it look like a screen used piece and not a cleaned up for display piece is the point. I am guessing you will get what was handed to Matt Smith on day 1. No two will be exactly the same if they are hand machined by the artist just like the real ones.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  47. LeAngeSolitaire

LeAngeSolitaire Well-Known Member

So they keep telling us. I'm not holding my breath though.:unsure

48. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

I think just the fact when a Sonic FINALLY shows up, its four thousand dollars and while its cool and neat to get something made by the actual maker, its a blow to the budget collectors. The less expensive version just seem so far out now and the waits been on.

Its cool for the history of these and they will retain their value, but I know I'd break one....

49. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Add to that the probability some if not most of the money from this expensive limited run is going to fund the start up costs for the less expensive run. We shouldn't be so grumpy about not being able to buy one if that's the case.

25 x $4,000 = $100,000

Even if 1/4 of that is being used for materials and machining costs to do a larger and much more affordable run of replicas that's still $25k that QMx would not have had without selling the ultra-high end versions first.

50. phez

phez Sr Member

Unless I am mistaken I think that the parts on the prop that was at SDCC was made from the CNC model. If that is the case there is a market waiting to buy these and they can not be that far off.

Had not thought of that :lol:lol:lol. Good point.