The Miskatonic Papers - new Lovecraft mythos book title

Angelbomb

Hi All,

I'm the owner of Angel Bomb, a design and letterpress printing shop. Most of my work is client projects, but I love to make books. My work has won design awards and are in the collections of over two dozen universities nationwide. I'm currently working on my fourth and most ambitious letterpress book project yet. What is this project you may ask?....

Lovecraft's Journal

This book will be an aged and weathered artifact from the early 1900's that includes newspaper clippings, telegrams, letters and all sorts of letterpress printed ephemera. In this journal, HP Lovecraft watches as Miskatonic University sends an expedition to cross Siberia and discovers a temple in the Tunguska River area. The expedition faces seriously strange and horrible things, with their ranks dwindling at every turn. Soon, the expedition is wiped out in what becomes known as the Tunguska Event.

Lovecraft, along with several professors from Miskatonic figure out that the devastation comes from something that has been awakened from an eternal slumber. What does it want, how do they stop it, and where is it going?

Stay tuned!

I'd love to share this with the forum and appreciate any tips on how to do so along the way. Being new to this forum, I have yet to learn the ropes. You can follow along on instagram by following #lovecraftsjournal. I aim to launch this book via Kickstarter in February.

I'll be posting updates along the way showing illustrations in progress, sketches for the resin artifact that is found, maps, and the custom Cthulic language that is based on the most ancient Slavic language known, Glagolitic. This book is a labor of love and after thinking about it and researching it for two years, I'm finally making it.

You can follow along on Instagram Angelbomb and by following the #lovecraftsjournal hashtag.

These are just a couple early WIP images I have to share.

Thanks!
Todd
LovecraftsjournalAgingTest.jpg

Attachments

• LovecraftsJournalSketch1.JPG
    LovecraftsJournalSketch1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 298
  • LovecraftsJournalWIP3.JPG
    LovecraftsJournalWIP3.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 258
  • LovecraftsJournalWIPArtifact.JPG
    LovecraftsJournalWIPArtifact.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 240
Love it. Sign me up lol. Any chance of any stretch goal props from the story? I'm sure there are a few around here that would jump on that. If not, I might have to make a few myself, hehe!

Love it. Sign me up lol. Any chance of any stretch goal props from the story? I'm sure there are a few around here that would jump on that. If not, I might have to make a few myself, hehe!

There absolutely will be! In the story, a bas relief is found and broken; after that, bad things start to happen. The artifact is designed and I'm working on getting some 3-D printed tests at the moment. I'll eventually resin cast them, paint and weather them so they look good 'n aged!

There absolutely will be! In the story, a bas relief is found and broken; after that, bad things start to happen. The artifact is designed and I'm working on getting some 3-D printed tests at the moment. I'll eventually resin cast them, paint and weather them so they look good 'n aged!

Count me in!! BTW, I want one too!!!

It's been a long time since I've posted anything to the forum. A lot has developed since I last checked in. I've changed the title to The Miskatonic Papers and it better suits the form the book takes. I just received my first clamshell binding which will have a couple small modifications before moving forward, but it looks great. The three folders that the book consists of are printed as well as the labels that adhere to them. About half of Act 1 is printed, all of it letterpress

Kickstarter will go live August 20!

MiskatonicPapers1.jpg
MiskatonicPapers2.jpg
MiskatonicPapers3.jpg

The Miskatonic Papers is LIVE on Kickstarter!

The Miskatonic Papers

Are you a fan of horror, expeditionary adventures from the days of old, or the tactile sensation of letterpress printed goods? Then have I got a book for you! This one, live on Kickstarter right now, is Angel Bomb's largest and most ambitious project to date!

The Miskatonic Papers is an experiential book; you don’t just read it, you explore and experience the mystery assembling it from various pieces. It’s like breaking open a time capsule and then trying to figure out what happened over 100 years ago. Composed of 50 printed pieces including letters, telegrams, drawings, newspaper clippings, a broadside, burned tatters of found stationery, and a journal which was written by hand and printed by letterpress. All of these items, letterpress printed, hand stamped, aged and weathered, comprise this Stygian work of unnameable horrors. You'll even receive a cast resin fragment of the artifact that lies at the heart of the story; painted, aged and imbued with evil.

This is my fourth book, inspired by early 20th century author and creator of cosmic horror, H.P. Lovecraft. Growing up reading Lovecraft’s stories, I fell in love with his dark horror and esoteric language. His creepy New England settings and monsters from beyond the furthest reaches of space and time inspired this young teenager, eager for an escape from his small North Dakota town. Reading was my refuge and these stories took me to creepily haunted places that stirred my imagination.

I wanted to create something that honors this part of my childhood. I always hoped to find something old and mysterious in my grandma’s attic or an old abandonded building. Something I would take home and sift through, trying to piece together a mystery. Who wouldn’t want to come across such an item? Movies are made about such tales.

This book is that object. I need everyone's help to reach my Kickstarter goal and make The Miskatonic Papers a reality. There are rewards at various contribution levels for the serious collector and regular fan alike.

If you’d like to read more about it, visit my website: angelbomb.com/books or to see more images from the process follow @the_miskatonic_papers on Instagram.

Thank you in advance for your support of independent makers of all types.

Attachments

• Reward-Artifact.jpg
    Reward-Artifact.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 144
An update on The Miskatonic Papers! We reached full funding on Kickstarter in only ten days! There is still time to support this project at a variety of levels. Please help support independent makers, click this link: The Miskatonic Papers

Hi All!

I wanted to let you know that The Miskatonic Papers is completed and ready to ship! I just shipped the 51st copy to someone today. Currently, I'm casting and painting the remaining artifacts, but all the printing is done and each of the 3 Acts are loaded up and ready to go into the foil-stamped clamshell box. Each book contains 54 pieces of letterpress printed ephemera from newspaper clippings, to an expedition journal (handwritten!), drawings, burnt remnants, letters and more. And along with the book is a cast resin, hand painted artifact central to the story.

You can learn more about it or purchase your copy at angelbomb.com

Cheers!
Todd

Image_8_MiskatonicPapers.jpg
Image_9_MiskatonicInterior.jpg
Image_10_MiskatonicDetails.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back