Masters of the Air (Band of Brothers sequel)

A photo taken by a friend of a friend heading to the film location. [EDIT] It's full size, highly and realistically detailed and indicative of the quality of the production.

might.jpg

Last edited:
That's an amazing B-17 mockup. Looks like it might be full size, as without wings they're not all that tall, I've seen 2-3 without wings and they always seemed short when you look at them. I'd love to know more about that.
I'd heard they were gonna use the "Memphis Belle" interior a while back as it still exists.

I know someone providing props and he said there was a substantial confidentiality contract, which would explain why nobody's talking about which planes may have contracted to be used.
The recent Catch 22 series proves you don't need a bunch of real planes to make it look as if you do.

The recent Catch 22 series proves you don't need a bunch of real planes to make it look as if you do.
Just 1 or 2 of each model plane needed, film it doing different things from different angles then clone it/comp it in in post. Same thing they do with big battle scene, just copy/paste and handful of people can look like an entire army.

Just 1 or 2 of each model plane needed, film it doing different things from different angles then clone it/comp it in in post. Same thing they do with big battle scene, just copy/paste and handful of people can look like an entire army.
Star Wars '77 proves that.

Unless you guys think each character got their own special cockpit. ;)

Looks like the "Sally B" out of England (the only B-17 flying on that side of the pond since that French one was grounded for good) got contracted to take part. They'll have to do what they did to her in 1989 during the 'Memphis Belle' filming by yanking out her chin turret and fairing it over, as the series apparently starts when they were still flying the 'F' models and the chin turrets didn't yet exist.
Not a good time for the filming as a pal of mine in the UK says they're going through a new round of restrictions due to COVID right now.
As for myself, I'd love to somehow take part in this, as I did AAF living history for many years. When I got into it, I was in my 20s and looked the part. Not so much now that I'm in my early 50s. I still have all my gear though and it fits.
These shots were taken several years ago with the Museum of Flight's B-17F which was used in "Memphis Belle" and now is grounded forever in Seattle:
I'm in the front row here, far right, kneeling:
40648145345_bca14d4d07_z.jpg

Far right (showing off the 'pooch' that a life vest under a parachute harness gives even the thinnest of people as I had no gut at that time):
40829673484_7a261d96ef_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have been digging for literal decades to try to find out more about my granddad's plane. You just reminded me p51. It was made in 1943. He got over to Polebrook in late '44. So it already had had a bit of a career and several flight crews before he got it. He's very clear on the details, but they are confusing to me. It still had its camo paint job, was ostensibly a -G because it had the chin turret... But it didn't have the cheek blisters or .50 cals in the nose. I don't know if they were never there, or if they'd been removed as redundant before he got it (what with the chin turret and pilot/copilot taking over that arc so the bombardier could focus on the target). I have never been able to find any pictures of it to see if it looks factory-intentional or field-modded. Not shocking -- there were thousands of these aircraft, after all. Just... disappointing.

An alternate aircrew took it up on his day off, and even though he told them to ignore the usual startup sequence because this one had a temperamental #1, and to follow the sequence he'd been handed by the crew chief... They didn't listen and started it by the book, the engine caught fire, and it burned on the hardstand. Total loss. Nothing to put in a museum.

I have an old Revell B-17G model kit that I've wanted to turn into his ship forever, but I don't know the color or style of her nose art (as far as I know, just the name, no cheesecake). I don't know the particulars of her nose. I can only go so far with preassembly until I know what to do about those cheek blisters. I've scoured many books and web sites and online forums relating to the B-17 and I haven't been able to confirm or deny this was a thing. Any WWII geeks on here know?

I have been digging for literal decades to try to find out more about my granddad's plane. You just reminded me p51. It was made in 1943. He got over to Polebrook in late '44. So it already had had a bit of a career and several flight crews before he got it. He's very clear on the details, but they are confusing to me. It still had its camo paint job, was ostensibly a -G because it had the chin turret... But it didn't have the cheek blisters or .50 cals in the nose. I don't know if they were never there, or if they'd been removed as redundant before he got it (what with the chin turret and pilot/copilot taking over that arc so the bombardier could focus on the target). I have never been able to find any pictures of it to see if it looks factory-intentional or field-modded. Not shocking -- there were thousands of these aircraft, after all. Just... disappointing.

An alternate aircrew took it up on his day off, and even though he told them to ignore the usual startup sequence because this one had a temperamental #1, and to follow the sequence he'd been handed by the crew chief... They didn't listen and started it by the book, the engine caught fire, and it burned on the hardstand. Total loss. Nothing to put in a museum.

I have an old Revell B-17G model kit that I've wanted to turn into his ship forever, but I don't know the color or style of her nose art (as far as I know, just the name, no cheesecake). I don't know the particulars of her nose. I can only go so far with preassembly until I know what to do about those cheek blisters. I've scoured many books and web sites and online forums relating to the B-17 and I haven't been able to confirm or deny this was a thing. Any WWII geeks on here know?
You'd need a squadron, nose name, dates of the aircraft being there, and a tail number if at all possible to find this info.
The 351st Bomb Group (Heavy) was stationed at Polebrook, as technically was the 94th Bomb Wing. You might wanna start there: 351st Bomb Group
But again, you'll need at the least a nose name or the names of the commander and co-pilot.

You'd need a squadron, nose name, dates of the aircraft being there, and a tail number if at all possible to find this info.
The 351st Bomb Group (Heavy) was stationed at Polebrook, as technically was the 94th Bomb Wing. You might wanna start there: 351st Bomb Group
But again, you'll need at the least a nose name or the names of the commander and co-pilot.
Oh, I got all that. *chuckle* Have had for ages. What I've never found anywhere are pictures of that aircraft.

43-37665 "Lassie Come Home" (one of several with that name -- G.I.s were not necessarily all original thinkers)

Manufactured by Boeing, rather than any of the subsidiaries. Delivered to the AAF May 1944. First assigned 551stBS/385thBG. Transferred to 510th/351st June 1944. Radio callsign TU-N. Assigned to 1st Lieutenant Jim Blaney (my granddad) 1st February 1945, formation leader and deputy squadron commander. He flew most of his thirty-odd missions in that plane, before the relief crew botched it in March. The engine fire spread to the bomb load, and the resulting explosion also damaged the aircraft to each side. He had no particular attachment to the several aircraft he flew for the remainder of his tour.

20690475_10155578259544798_4077419778398259490_o.jpg

That's him, squatting on the left, with his aircrew. I have pictures of him riding his bike on-base, hanging out with his bunkmate, etc. Just nothing of the actual aircraft, from him or anyone else that I've ever been able to find. It's infuriating.

My grandpa was on the crash crew (don't know the technical name) so he would have been the one to come and put out the bomber fires. He was based at Foggia, Italy. I forget which citation, but I think it was a Silver Star that he got for running into a crashed bomber (not sure if British or American) while the ammo was cooking off and pulling the crew out.

I've spent the last few months around this thing - is deffo full size
Any details? Does it have an interior? Did they make just the one or were any more made?
I'd read rumors that the 'Memphis Belle' interior that Bruce Orris (the same guy who mostly built the "B-3" used in "Broken Arrow") found all the original hardware for still exists and was supposed to be used in the filming. Anyone have hard info on that?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back