The Men who Stare at Goats

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Old news I know and I don't know how I missed this one, but just caught it on OnDemand.

I know the movie is fictionalized, but I remember when these guys and the First Earth Battalion was at Bragg (Socom) and remember the founder Jim Channon. What a freaking hoot! We always thought the whole program and the guys who were in it freaky and freaks!

I was in the 4th Psyops Grp and we had to interview some of the guys who called themselves "remote viewers" :lol I was even able to read one of the manuals. I remember thinking "What on earth is the Army getting themselves into".

What a fun movie! Very Coen Brothers-ish.

I thought that movie was really entertaining. Not, you know, Citizen Kane, or anything, but a fun night out. Entertainment Weekly gave it an F. I couldn't believe it. I thought one of the Coen Brothers must have punched Owen Gleiberman's mom or something.

I have it arriving via Netflix tomorrow. Plan on watching it this weekend. Glad to hear so many positive things about it here—makes me look forward to seeing it!

I haven't seen the movie but watched Jon Ronson's TV documentary series the movie was based on and it was fantastic - same as all of Jon Ronson's films.

If you ever get the chance to see 'Secret rulers of the world' by Ronson take the chance.

Must see the movie.

Chris

Last edited:
I watched it a few weeks ago and must say I was really surprised how good it was considering how bad the reviews were. I loved it!

I didn't know what I was in for when I watched it on OnDemand.

It was weird watching the movie unfold and sitting up and going "HEY! I REMEMBER THIS STUFF"!

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just watched this last night and wow... I must be a stick in the mud because this wasn't even remotely entertaining to me. I was mildly amused by the Jedi/dJango/Ewan thing, but you can't make a whole movie off of that. This just came off as a bunch of hippie love. The only thing I laughed at in the whole movie was the goat falling over. Maybe it just wasn't my kind of humor.

Well I watched this movie a couple of months back and was rolling at times.

Loved it for the sheer farsicality of it all. Almost reminded me of Monty Python styled humour. Just so "out there".

But- I like this style of humour to begin with and can understand it isn't for everyone. Probably why it received poor reviews.

Kevin

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back