The Marvel custom/redesign Thread

View attachment 638213

Here is my Captain America redesign I'll be using for a Cap costume I'll be making for a friend. I made it off a pixel template thing, I've done every side of the costume but I still need to work some things out. It's supposed to be a modern 'movie-style' costume, but I wanted to make it my own, staying true to the original designs but bringing my own thing. I still don't knowwhat I'll do for boots and gauntlets, tho. Will also be doing the belt and the shield harness.

Very cool Cap design. I always loved the wings around the star design.

This is such a great thread! I'm creating a custom design and costume at the moment (up to sewing lesson #3) for a somewhat MCU-ified version of Wiccan from the Young Avengers. My idea is to make him a bit more real world, but also recognise that he's a very different type of character than seen in the MCU so far in terms of powers and person, and so stay fairly true to the comic design. Some elements are inspired by the Cyclops costume at end of Apocalypse as I really like how that was adapted and it inspired the original concept, Deadpool as a similar sort of design and especially approach to armoured sections, and a little bit from Winter Soldier's Captain America suit.

IMG_0050.JPGattaboy.jpg

I'm currently finalising the design and choosing fabrics. Intending to keep the dramatic hooded cape/robe in a Man Of Steel sort of red fabric, probably a ponte. It's not in my drawing but also looking to keep the wrap around section at the neck with lots of pleats and structure as part of that robe.

For the arms and sides a sub-dye printed spandex with photo of space/stars as the image. I'm moving that fabric's location to be more of a side insert that ends above the knee, rather than the mid-leg lines and extending down to the shoes. I'd rather wear real boots than have the zentai feet, it will be more real world that way and more comfortable. I'm thinking higher boots, but would also be happy with a lower boot and making shin guards/cover armour al la Deadpool.

For the grey areas I wanted something other than spandex, but don't want to go a rigid cordura or anything pretending to be Kevlar since even if he was in the MCU this character is magic and not military, and still a kid also. I'm thinking to use a grey stretch denim for this. It will give me that age appropriate real world feel but also comfort and character aligned. Will use the same fabric as the cape for the red accents where the Lycra and denim meet. The design a little inspired by Captain America's jumpsuit, but much less detailed and less military.

In the comic he has some kind of diamond shaped knee pad, and the shoulders look a bit padded/armoured but quite rounded. The knee armour shape always seem a bit out of place to me given the otherwise rounded design. I'm thinking to use the more hexagonal knee pad as I've seen in some fanart, and then extend that idea using hexagons or parts of hexagons for the shape of the shoulder armour and chest plates with a bit of the Deadpool armour influence showing there. I'm also seeing the hexagon as a subtle nod to the hexagram and subsequently his Jewish background.

Belt to to be a real belt rather than part of the suit, made out of the same fabrics with red accents, and the belt buckle and accents to be rectangular (or maybe stretched hexagons) made from steel. I also have an idea for blue light magic effect around the hands, colour matched to the blue galaxy print on the spandex.

My next sewing lesson we aim to finalise fabric selection and start designing the pattern for the robe so I can start purchasing fabric. Looking to wear this to a con in 2017; April will be the earliest one, but may push back to mid year or even September depending how things progress. Later will suit the weather here better also, so I'm not rushing.

Hello all! Its been a while since I contributed to this thread. I am hoping to remedy that for the foreseeable future starting with this. I have decided to start on a custom Iron Fist. It's going to be my Halloween costume this year. I really liked the Iron Fist show as well as Defenders which I literally just finished. Anyways, here is the design done by my brother and fellow RPF member Starlord. I hope you all like it, and I hope to breathe some life back into this thread.

File_000 (1).jpeg

I have some updates for my Iron Fist build. I went to the fabric store yesterday to pick up the fabric. I am very happy with the green and yellow fabrics that I found. The green is a little bit lighter than the original shade I was planning, but ultimately it was the texture of the fabric that I wanted. I actually think this shade may be ultimately better.

IMG_1613.JPGIMG_1614.JPGIMG_1615.JPG

So I will begin sewing the suit together this week. Also, for the mask I am planning to make a cowl to adhere the fabric to, for some design flair and durability. The eye shapes I plan to do in a similar fashion to the Deadpool movie mask. That's all for now, happy building everyone!

So I have more updates on the Iron Fist build. I went to a halloween store today and picked up a cheap batman mask to use as the base of the cowl. I used a dremel to shave the ears and excess of the mask down to what I needed.
IMG_1644.JPG

Then between the dremel and some sanding I smoothed out the edges and gave a once over to the whole cowl.

IMG_1645.JPG

After I finished that my brother and I taped the whole thing up and drew out a template for the fabric that would go over the cowl.

IMG_1646.JPGIMG_1647.JPG

After that we cut out the fabric and sewed it together. We did a test fit before adhering the fabric to the face shell to make sure it would fit.

IMG_1648.JPGIMG_1649.JPG

Next we used locktite to adhere the fabric to the face shell.

IMG_1650.JPGIMG_1651.JPG

There is still a lot that we have to do before its done, but I'm happy with the way its turning out. We also got a lot of work done on the undershirt and over tunic, but I forgot to take pictures. I also ordered some Tabi boots off Amazon and they should be here on the 24th. I will post more updates as we go. Hopefully it will be in working condition by the end of the week. Happy building everyone!

So I have some updates with Iron Fist. Unfortunately I've had a virus since last Tuesday and wasn't able to get as much done as I had wanted to originally have for Halloween. That being said I wasn't ready to give up on it so I got things in working condition for Halloween night. My brother and I traced out the Shao Lao symbol and filled in the whole thing with sharpie. We did the same thing with the black eye details.

IMG_1675.JPGIMG_1676.JPGIMG_1677.JPGIMG_1678.JPGIMG_1682.JPG

We also finished the yellow trim around the tunic. With that I added the tabi boots and some hand wraps, and I had a working Iron Fist for the night.

IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1679.JPG

I am very happy with how it turned out. I'm definitely going to be working more on this project going forward. I would like to actually paint the symbol on the chest, make eye details similar to the Deadpool movie mask with white eyes, and I would like to make yellow hand and foot wraps for the outfit. I also think I'm going to rig up something to make my fists glow as well. Anyways I'm happy with what I have for now, and I hope everyone had a fun Halloween.

Well... its been over a year since anyone posted here and this is such a great thread I dont want it to be dead soooooooo... Cyclops. Hes always been my favorite Xman so with the Disney Fox thing I wanted to make an MCU ized Cyke. I did a very rough mockup on an action figure. Its very Whedons Astonishing inspired.

Attachments

• 20181201_140351.jpg
    20181201_140351.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 281
I was low on cash this Halloween season and I'm not in superhero shape so I redesigned Sabretooth.

I took inspiration from various newer comic styles (Mary Shelly Overdrive, Weapon X, Ultimate X-Men) and the first X-Men film to make something comfortable, economic and fitting for me personally.

I had my hair highlighted, lightened my beard and trimmed it into a mutton chop style, added upper and lower fangs, white contact lenses, some claws to my fingers that were painted silver.
I had a friend make some yellow/orange X patches to help sell who I was, 3D printed some claws and made a necklace and had a set of custom Canadian style dogtags made.
I tore up a shirt and added old, dried blood along with weathered camo pants and boots with lifts to make me 3 inches taller, which puts me around 6'6", his canon height in the comics.

To help sell the character I've made a n adamantium skull with a Wolverine cowl on it to carry. I don't have any finished pics because I left it in my wife's car and she's gone to work, but I carried it at a con and got a big reaction.

5UrTavJ.jpg

LhjVeW8.jpg

I am designing an Iron Man suit that I'm referring to as the Mk 3x1. As a lot of people realize, the 35 new suits in Iron Man 3 were in large part mash ups of about 7 new designs and some of the earlier designs. My suit will fit into that general category, with the 3 referencing the film number, "x" for experience (I'm designing a lot of mechanical pieces) and 1 because it's my first suit/cosplay.

Note: this mock up is several months old at this point, and I already know I'm going to change some things (older helmet, remove the Mk 7 shoulder rockets)

Head Cannon: "Tony should pick up his toys when he's done playing with them." While the House Party Protocol triggered explosions in each of the suits gathered around the oil tanker, many suits had been damaged and could not properly self destruct. Wearing scuba gear and patiently combing the bottom of the bay yielded many salvageable components. Those that couldn't be salvaged could still be disassembled to use for parts to replicate what was still functional. A very long and tedious process, but a suit designed and built by Stark is well worth the time, even if some assembly was required.

Attachments

• Iron Man mk3x1.png
    Iron Man mk3x1.png
    385.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I am designing an Iron Man suit that I'm referring to as the Mk 3x1. As a lot of people realize, the 35 new suits in Iron Man 3 were in large part mash ups of about 7 new designs and some of the earlier designs. My suit will fit into that general category, with the 3 referencing the film number, "x" for experience (I'm designing a lot of mechanical pieces) and 1 because it's my first suit/cosplay.

Note: this mock up is several months old at this point, and I already know I'm going to change some things (older helmet, remove the Mk 7 shoulder rockets)

Head Cannon: "Tony should pick up his toys when he's done playing with them." While the House Party Protocol triggered explosions in each of the suits gathered around the oil tanker, many suits had been damaged and could not properly self destruct. Wearing scuba gear and patiently combing the bottom of the bay yielded many salvageable components. Those that couldn't be salvaged could still be disassembled to use for parts to replicate what was still functional. A very long and tedious process, but a suit designed and built by Stark is well worth the time, even if some assembly was required.
Is the image your own?
Because that is quite a build, bravo...

Is the image your own?
Because that is quite a build, bravo...

lol, don't applaud me yet. That's just a photoshopped image of what I'm hoping to make.

Right now, I have 10 servos, a IC2 board to let me control multiple servos with fewer wires, 2 very small OLED displays, a Raspberry Pi, 10 Hal Effect sensors, a box of magnets, some springs, and a handful of test prints. I could put everything I have so far in a shoebox. In a little over a month I should have time to actually work more on it, so expect me to create my own thread in... probably March or April.

It's been a hot minute since i've shown anything on here, but I've almost finished a custom Spider-Man suit, which is kinda an amalgamation of the Spectacular Spider-Man suit, and the PS4 Advanced Suit.
681437-74b1c054d96ad3b22d408736bda52f68.jpg

This was my model for the build, but I've made several modifications to the suit. Here's a little peek of my work.
681438-ba604ee1b022aad1b3950d137fda2a2a.png

Attachments

• custom_spidey_model.v_02.jpg
    custom_spidey_model.v_02.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 528
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.17.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.17.00 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 285
I did a blend of Hawkeye movie and ultimate comic build. I made a foam quiver with the Avengers shape, and attached it to an Alice pack suspender set and web belt I dyed black. I used a padded soccer jersey, polyurethane and painted the padding. For the symbol I did several coats of polyurethane/paint, then black ribbon for the border of the symbol. Lego ant-man added to Elmers glue cap for picture arrow. This was my second ever cosplay build. Since I've found the RPF I have been very unhappy with it Lol. To keep it con-safe I used a quarter inch threaded rod for the bow string. Looks great in pics, but doesn't draw.

Attachments

• antman.jpg
    antman.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 251
  • goodhawk.jpg
    goodhawk.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 213
  • hawk2.jpg
    hawk2.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 225
  • hawkeye again.jpg
    hawkeye again.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 194
  • hawk4.jpg
    hawk4.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 264

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back