The Martian weapons

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
No ... not that "The Martian"... This guy!

2.png1.jpg

I recently got my first 3D Printer, a Prusa i3 MK3. And, I've been teaching myself 3D modeling with Fusion 360. I wanted to give myself a good first project to model in 3D, print on the Prusa (or Pru, and I call her), and finish into a painted and weathered prop.

I've seen a few replica Marvin Martian ray guns. The ones he uses in the vintage cartoons are pretty varied. I was able to model up the basics of the gun in Fusion over a day or two. I gotta say, I'm really enjoying working in 3D on this. I've struggled for years to find a 3D program that felt "right" for the kind of things I want to make. Fusion is definitely it. And it's FREE if you are a "Hobbyist".

One detail I was especially proud of is I modeled up a simple trigger spring so the gun has a bit of action when done. Building this sort of internal structures is definitely easier in 3D than the scratch building I tend to do.

IMG_9795.jpg

Once I have the model chopped up and saved as gcode files, I sent them all to Pru and printed them in PLA. The parts came out very clean, but of course there's sanding and filling to be done to reduce the 3D texture. I will say that I am in LOVE with Duplicator's Filler Primer. Saves a ton of time and very little odor.

3E51272A-E6B8-4392-941B-9E70B1B20D3D.jpgIMG_9800.jpgIMG_9801.jpg

For paint I found a great avocado green paint and did some weathering to make it look like these were recovered from the Martian landscape.

Oh! And I couldn't resist building Marvin's most famous weapon: The "Immudium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator" ... Capable of an Earth shattering Kaboom!

IMG_9857.jpgIMG_9855.jpgIMG_9859.jpgIMG_9858.jpgIMG_9852.jpg

That is great work, the Immudium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator looks top notch but you misspelled Illudium, but that is just a small mistake. Marvins gun looks like it came right out of the cartoon, didn't know Acme was a interstellar company.

that is a wonderful set straight out of my childhood. keep up the great work.

index.jpg

A quick search of the web shows many, many version of the name (Marvin is a bit hard to understand). I chose Immudium over Illudium :)

Last edited:
Where do I find the stls for this model? I just recently started collecting/making movie/comic/book/etc. props and this would be a great one to make and add to my small collection. I would be really cool to put it up on my wall!

First off, yes, it looks fantastic. For me, I would have made the barrel much "fatter" or oversized (that's how I see it anyway) plus, I think it would just add to the comic/silly effect.

This is awesome! And you are so kind to share your files. Marvin Martian was my favorite cartoon character growing... him and Wile Coyote. Great work!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back