Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AMChesca

Hi,
I've been in a long process of making a full replica of the Marauders Map which includes every scene from the movie. It's taken a very long time but I have finally finished all the pages in black and white. Below are some of the images:

20200928_152440.jpg 20200928_152426.jpg 20200928_130651.jpg 20200928_130708.jpg 20200928_130759.jpg 20200928_130822.jpg 20200928_130908.jpg

But now comes the tricky bit; aging. Aging the paper will be quite simple, mixture of tea, coffee and thicker, rougher paper. But making it look handwritten in ink?
I have a snippet of the marauders map from HP3 and the Artifact Vault:

Headmaster Office Scene.JPG Artifact Vault 2.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on how to replicate this? Specifically, see how there are many changes in ink colour, deep dark red, and a lighter red. And how all text appears to have the light red outline. I am working on using watercolour for the lighter areas of text. Any help would be great!

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Duncanator

Sr Member
This looks great! That's a lot of work.

Did you draw it all in the computer? Or is it hand drawn?
Can't wait to see it weathered. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on what to do about the lettering colors that you pointed out.

AMChesca

This looks great! That's a lot of work.

Did you draw it all in the computer? Or is it hand drawn?
Can't wait to see it weathered. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on what to do about the lettering colors that you pointed out.

Thanks!
It was all made on a computer, but using letters a drew and scanned.

dortega

I' m also working on my own map, to make sure the ink texture was similar to the original prop, i handwritten all the map with red ink (but any other color will work) and then adjust the color with photoshop. Btw impressive work! This prop is really difficult, for finding good refernces of every spot in the map.
Now that you have all the map, the best and natural way, in my opinion is to trace the pages with ink and a pen, its time consumming but all worthit

original color.PNG
final color.PNG

Last edited:

Krats

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I would say the ink variations are best performed on your computer. The effects you are describing are all fairly easily recreated with Photoshop. Then print it on a laser printer so the ink is waterfast and weather the print out with tea / coffee as required.

AMChesca

I would say the ink variations are best performed on your computer. The effects you are describing are all fairly easily recreated with Photoshop. Then print it on a laser printer so the ink is waterfast and weather the print out with tea / coffee as required.

Hi, yes I am currently trying to use photoshop, but I am not very knowledgeable with it yet. Do you have any links to video tutorials or webpages that could help me get this effect? Yes, laser printer is definitely the way to go, I learnt the hard way :lol:

So far I have achieved this. It looks ok, but still not what I'm hoping for. But I will see what it looks like printed.

Marauders Map Photoshop Attempt 1.JPG

Last edited:

AMChesca

I' m also working on my own map, to make sure the ink texture was similar to the original prop, i handwritten all the map with red ink (but any other color will work) and then adjust the color with photoshop. Btw impressive work! This prop is really difficult, for finding good refernces of every spot in the map.
Now that you have all the map, the best and natural way, in my opinion is to trace the pages with ink and a pen, its time consumming but all worthit

View attachment 1353866 View attachment 1353867

That looks very good!! And that is exactly the effect I am looking for. But I am trying to avoid tracing because as you said, it will take a long time. Though if I don't find a way to do it digitally I will try drawing it. Did you use a fountain pen?

How far along are you with your replica?

Krats

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
yes I am currently trying to use photoshop, but I am not very knowledgeable with it yet. Do you have any links to video tutorials or webpages that could help me get this effect?

With Photoshop there are a million ways to skin the same cat, but I would probably do it like this...

1. Desaturate your image so it's black and white (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate).
2. Create a new layer.
3. Use a texture brush (like a cloud or something) to spread some white roughly over your ink work. Not looking to obliterate the text, just make it look patchy.
4. Adjust this layer's opacity to make the effect a bit more subtle.
5. Merge the layer down (Layers > Merge Layers)
6. Duplicate this layer.
7. Use the maximum filter on your top layer to thin everything down (Filters > Other > Maximum).
8. Invert your top layer so it's now white on black (Image > Adjustments > Invert).
9. Set top layer's blend mode to "Screen" and reduce the opacity. This will give your text slightly darker outlines.
10. Create a colour fill layer above everything, set this to a brown colour and the blending mode to "Colour"
11. Make another patchy cloud layer over the top as in step 3, then dial the opacity of it back a bit.

Badabing, inky print. Your mileage may vary.

Marauders-Map-Photoshop-Attempt-2.jpg

AMChesca

Hi, yes I am currently trying to use photoshop, but I am not very knowledgeable with it yet. Do you have any links to video tutorials or webpages that could help me get this effect?
With Photoshop there are a million ways to skin the same cat, but I would probably do it like this...

1. Desaturate your image so it's black and white (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate).
2. Create a new layer.
3. Use a texture brush (like a cloud or something) to spread some white roughly over your ink work. Not looking to obliterate the text, just make it look patchy.
4. Adjust this layer's opacity to make the effect a bit more subtle.
5. Merge the layer down (Layers > Merge Layers)
6. Duplicate this layer.
7. Use the maximum filter on your top layer to thin everything down (Filters > Other > Maximum).
8. Invert your top layer so it's now white on black (Image > Adjustments > Invert).
9. Set top layer's blend mode to "Screen" and reduce the opacity. This will give your text slightly darker outlines.
10. Create a colour fill layer above everything, set this to a brown colour and the blending mode to "Colour"
11. Make another patchy cloud layer over the top as in step 3, then dial the opacity of it back a bit.

Badabing, inky print. Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 1354291

I really like that! The darker outline definitely makes the ink look more authentic. How would you do something like this, where it has a lighter outline (I got this from the Artifact Vault book)

Maraduers Map Scan Artifact Vault.jpg

dortega

That looks very good!! And that is exactly the effect I am looking for. But I am trying to avoid tracing because as you said, it will take a long time. Though if I don't find a way to do it digitally I will try drawing it. Did you use a fountain pen?

How far along are you with your replica?
well i think its more time consuming looking for good references than tracing once u have all the details. I can make a wing/flap per day (5h) or so this one take me 4h yesterday and needs a little bit more.
image.jpg

The others take me more time as i had as background for tracing the nc map and i was tracing and rewritting/editing most of the parts at the same time and take me like 2 days per flap
image.jpg

i know photoshop will be easier and less time consuming but once again i think tracing with a fountain pen and scanning is much more better

AMChesca

well i think its more time consuming looking for good references than tracing once u have all the details. I can make a wing/flap per day (5h) or so this one take me 4h yesterday and needs a little bit more. View attachment 1354337
The others take me more time as i had as background for tracing the nc map and i was tracing and rewritting/editing most of the parts at the same time and take me like 2 days per flap
View attachment 1354340
i know photoshop will be easier and less time consuming but once again i think tracing with a fountain pen and scanning is much more better

Looking really good!

Yeah, I agree its hard to beat real ink, but it will start to get very hard for the pages with very small script.

20201001_212031.jpg

It is a difficult prop. Especially since its design changes between scenes!

Look at how the front page changes
MM Scene 1a.JPG MM Scene 1b.JPG

And how the writing changes here between scenes
MM Scene 2a.JPG MM Scene 2b.JPG