AMChesca

Hi,
I've been in a long process of making a full replica of the Marauders Map which includes every scene from the movie. It's taken a very long time but I have finally finished all the pages in black and white. Below are some of the images:

20200928_152440.jpg20200928_152426.jpg20200928_130651.jpg20200928_130708.jpg20200928_130759.jpg20200928_130822.jpg20200928_130908.jpg

But now comes the tricky bit; aging. Aging the paper will be quite simple, mixture of tea, coffee and thicker, rougher paper. But making it look handwritten in ink?
I have a snippet of the marauders map from HP3 and the Artifact Vault:

Headmaster Office Scene.JPGArtifact Vault 2.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on how to replicate this? Specifically, see how there are many changes in ink colour, deep dark red, and a lighter red. And how all text appears to have the light red outline. I am working on using watercolour for the lighter areas of text. Any help would be great!

Last edited:
This looks great! That's a lot of work.

Did you draw it all in the computer? Or is it hand drawn?
Can't wait to see it weathered. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on what to do about the lettering colors that you pointed out.

This looks great! That's a lot of work.

Did you draw it all in the computer? Or is it hand drawn?
Can't wait to see it weathered. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on what to do about the lettering colors that you pointed out.

Thanks!
It was all made on a computer, but using letters a drew and scanned.

I' m also working on my own map, to make sure the ink texture was similar to the original prop, i handwritten all the map with red ink (but any other color will work) and then adjust the color with photoshop. Btw impressive work! This prop is really difficult, for finding good refernces of every spot in the map.
Now that you have all the map, the best and natural way, in my opinion is to trace the pages with ink and a pen, its time consumming but all worthit

original color.PNG
final color.PNG

Last edited:
I would say the ink variations are best performed on your computer. The effects you are describing are all fairly easily recreated with Photoshop. Then print it on a laser printer so the ink is waterfast and weather the print out with tea / coffee as required.

I would say the ink variations are best performed on your computer. The effects you are describing are all fairly easily recreated with Photoshop. Then print it on a laser printer so the ink is waterfast and weather the print out with tea / coffee as required.

Hi, yes I am currently trying to use photoshop, but I am not very knowledgeable with it yet. Do you have any links to video tutorials or webpages that could help me get this effect? Yes, laser printer is definitely the way to go, I learnt the hard way :lol:

So far I have achieved this. It looks ok, but still not what I'm hoping for. But I will see what it looks like printed.

Marauders Map Photoshop Attempt 1.JPG

Last edited:
I' m also working on my own map, to make sure the ink texture was similar to the original prop, i handwritten all the map with red ink (but any other color will work) and then adjust the color with photoshop. Btw impressive work! This prop is really difficult, for finding good refernces of every spot in the map.
Now that you have all the map, the best and natural way, in my opinion is to trace the pages with ink and a pen, its time consumming but all worthit

View attachment 1353866View attachment 1353867

That looks very good!! And that is exactly the effect I am looking for. But I am trying to avoid tracing because as you said, it will take a long time. Though if I don't find a way to do it digitally I will try drawing it. Did you use a fountain pen?

How far along are you with your replica?

yes I am currently trying to use photoshop, but I am not very knowledgeable with it yet. Do you have any links to video tutorials or webpages that could help me get this effect?

With Photoshop there are a million ways to skin the same cat, but I would probably do it like this...

1. Desaturate your image so it's black and white (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate).
2. Create a new layer.
3. Use a texture brush (like a cloud or something) to spread some white roughly over your ink work. Not looking to obliterate the text, just make it look patchy.
4. Adjust this layer's opacity to make the effect a bit more subtle.
5. Merge the layer down (Layers > Merge Layers)
6. Duplicate this layer.
7. Use the maximum filter on your top layer to thin everything down (Filters > Other > Maximum).
8. Invert your top layer so it's now white on black (Image > Adjustments > Invert).
9. Set top layer's blend mode to "Screen" and reduce the opacity. This will give your text slightly darker outlines.
10. Create a colour fill layer above everything, set this to a brown colour and the blending mode to "Colour"
11. Make another patchy cloud layer over the top as in step 3, then dial the opacity of it back a bit.

Badabing, inky print. Your mileage may vary.

Marauders-Map-Photoshop-Attempt-2.jpg

Hi, yes I am currently trying to use photoshop, but I am not very knowledgeable with it yet. Do you have any links to video tutorials or webpages that could help me get this effect?
With Photoshop there are a million ways to skin the same cat, but I would probably do it like this...

1. Desaturate your image so it's black and white (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate).
2. Create a new layer.
3. Use a texture brush (like a cloud or something) to spread some white roughly over your ink work. Not looking to obliterate the text, just make it look patchy.
4. Adjust this layer's opacity to make the effect a bit more subtle.
5. Merge the layer down (Layers > Merge Layers)
6. Duplicate this layer.
7. Use the maximum filter on your top layer to thin everything down (Filters > Other > Maximum).
8. Invert your top layer so it's now white on black (Image > Adjustments > Invert).
9. Set top layer's blend mode to "Screen" and reduce the opacity. This will give your text slightly darker outlines.
10. Create a colour fill layer above everything, set this to a brown colour and the blending mode to "Colour"
11. Make another patchy cloud layer over the top as in step 3, then dial the opacity of it back a bit.

Badabing, inky print. Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 1354291

I really like that! The darker outline definitely makes the ink look more authentic. How would you do something like this, where it has a lighter outline (I got this from the Artifact Vault book)

Maraduers Map Scan Artifact Vault.jpg

That looks very good!! And that is exactly the effect I am looking for. But I am trying to avoid tracing because as you said, it will take a long time. Though if I don't find a way to do it digitally I will try drawing it. Did you use a fountain pen?

How far along are you with your replica?
well i think its more time consuming looking for good references than tracing once u have all the details. I can make a wing/flap per day (5h) or so this one take me 4h yesterday and needs a little bit more.
image.jpg

The others take me more time as i had as background for tracing the nc map and i was tracing and rewritting/editing most of the parts at the same time and take me like 2 days per flap
image.jpg

i know photoshop will be easier and less time consuming but once again i think tracing with a fountain pen and scanning is much more better

well i think its more time consuming looking for good references than tracing once u have all the details. I can make a wing/flap per day (5h) or so this one take me 4h yesterday and needs a little bit more.View attachment 1354337
The others take me more time as i had as background for tracing the nc map and i was tracing and rewritting/editing most of the parts at the same time and take me like 2 days per flap
View attachment 1354340
i know photoshop will be easier and less time consuming but once again i think tracing with a fountain pen and scanning is much more better

Looking really good!

Yeah, I agree its hard to beat real ink, but it will start to get very hard for the pages with very small script.

20201001_212031.jpg

It is a difficult prop. Especially since its design changes between scenes!

Look at how the front page changes
MM Scene 1a.JPGMM Scene 1b.JPG

And how the writing changes here between scenes
MM Scene 2a.JPGMM Scene 2b.JPG

well i think its more time consuming looking for good references than tracing once u have all the details. I can make a wing/flap per day (5h) or so this one take me 4h yesterday and needs a little bit more.View attachment 1354337
View attachment 1354340
Hi,
I've been in a long process of making a full replica of the Marauders Map which includes every scene from the movie. It's taken a very long time but I have finally finished all the pages in black and white. Below are some of the images:

View attachment 1353407View attachment 1353406View attachment 1353376View attachment 1353377View attachment 1353378View attachment 1353379View attachment 1353380

But now comes the tricky bit; aging. Aging the paper will be quite simple, mixture of tea, coffee and thicker, rougher paper. But making it look handwritten in ink?
I have a snippet of the marauders map from HP3 and the Artifact Vault:

View attachment 1353383View attachment 1353385

Does anyone have any ideas on how to replicate this? Specifically, see how there are many changes in ink colour, deep dark red, and a lighter red. And how all text appears to have the light red outline. I am working on using watercolour for the lighter areas of text. Any help would be great!
do you have a pdf of the replica currently?
I know it had been a long time since first uploading, but if you have it,
please send it to ‘suchan.kim2k04@gmail.com
I am also going through my own marauders map-exactly same version with the film.
However due to my poor ability, I can’t even erase background of the original page nor find the original page!
I really really appreaciate your work.
Waiting for reply
Sincerly

Hi everybody! First of all, congratulations on your awesome work!

Some time ago I also started my replica of the marauder's map. Searching hard to find quality images, I've compiled a few and gradually recreated some pages of the map, but it's hard. All are from basically from Google and few are of sufficient quality to work properly. Some are from this same forum (lots of thanks by the way). Besides, I don't have enough talent to do it by hand and I do everything with Photoshop.

I want to share some of the images I have managed to create but I also want to ask for help, I would like to find the mythical page on the Seventh Floor and the Hall of Hexes. There’s no way to find a good reference image and I really don’t know how some of you do it to make the wonderful replicas you make.

If it’s not too much to ask, I’d like to find quality images from the other pages on the map, my goal is to create a decent printable for everyone, I don’t want to gain anything from it. Like the Wizardry Workhsop guy, but offering a more accurate map printable. (I love his work by the way).

I also plan to create a few extra pages later and also attach a test I did of a Great Hall page and the Quidditch pitch, but I'm not too convinced...

Thanks everyone and mischief managed!

Attachments

• Prova Great Hall.jpg
    Prova Great Hall.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 568
  • MaraudersMapGroundsBlank.jpg
    MaraudersMapGroundsBlank.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 573
  • Headmaster_s Office V2.jpg
    Headmaster_s Office V2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 550
  • Headmaster_s Office V1.jpg
    Headmaster_s Office V1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 545
  • MapSnapeMessageAlternativeBlank.jpg
    MapSnapeMessageAlternativeBlank.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 444
  • MapSnapeMessageBlank.jpg
    MapSnapeMessageBlank.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 449
  • MapCoverBlank.jpg
    MapCoverBlank.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 456
  • Quidditch Pitch.jpg
    Quidditch Pitch.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 648
Hi, has been a long time since an update. A while ago I completed my first version of my Marauders Map replica. There are some things I want to improve to make it more authentic and true to the movie prop (some more aging, refined ink inconsistencies), but so far I'm very happy with the outcome. I have attached some photos. I have a few extra pages I designed myself which I have not included in this version, this version I'm labelling the "movie version", and I will later make an "extended version" featuring the library, quidditch pitch, transfiguration courtyard and full map of the Hogwarts grounds.

MM Front.jpgMM Right 1.jpgMM Left 1.jpgMM Left 2.jpgMM Great Hall.jpgMM Map.jpgMM Middle Map Page.jpgMM Middle Map Page 2.jpgMM Room of Requirement.jpgMM Deathly Hallows.jpgMM Right 2.jpg

Attachments

• MM Left 1.jpg
    MM Left 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • MM Great Hall.jpg
    MM Great Hall.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 183
  • MM Front.jpg
    MM Front.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • MM Deathly Hallows.jpg
    MM Deathly Hallows.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 168
  • MM Great Hall.jpg
    MM Great Hall.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 146
  • MM Left 2.jpg
    MM Left 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
  • MM Map.jpg
    MM Map.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 150
  • MM Middle Map Page 2.jpg
    MM Middle Map Page 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
  • MM Middle Map Page.jpg
    MM Middle Map Page.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
  • MM Right 1.jpg
    MM Right 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • MM Right 2.jpg
    MM Right 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 306
  • MM Room of Requirement.jpg
    MM Room of Requirement.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 155
  • MM Front.jpg
    MM Front.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • MM Right 1.jpg
    MM Right 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 167
  • MM Left 1.jpg
    MM Left 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I've also done my own version of the Marauders Map, but I changed a significant amount of things, mostly because I wanted the "zoom" effect to make sense to me, i.e. we start with the lowest zoom when the map is closed and it keeps increasing progressively up to the center. To achieve this, I had to add 4 extra folding sections and to redraw part of the existing ones so every section matches the one it is folded with. Since I was making changes, I took the time to add some extra spaces I wanted, like Mrs Sprout greenhouse. I added three new origami pieces to include Griffindor's tower, Hagrid's hut, the quidditch pit and the stone circle and also the boat house. Considering that I resketched the whole thing by hand, everything fits quite well, I think...
Here's the map unfolded step by step, plus the unfolded origami pieces.

MM00.png
MM01.png
MM02.png

MM03.png

MM04.png

MM05.png
MM06.png
MM07.png
MM08.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back