The Mandalorian : Westar-35 Reference thread

The Sweatshop

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was inspired by the darksaber reference thread, and how the prop department had reinvented the saber for live action. So here we go!

what I could find so far as the wiki’s state that the mandalorians in “chapter 3 : the sin” use them to assist Mando escape. Now I couldn’t find a screenshot worth saving. But the wiki also sites the Disney gallery episodes “Process” and “Score” as sources, not sure why yet as I am rewatching that series in preparation for season 2.
If anyone finds anything, that’d be super. I’d like to 3D model it for printing and share the file, unless someone more talented than I beats me to it.

Made my first breakthrough, Hot Toys has a 1/6th scale figure that has the Westar-35. its a good start and I can start modeling, but still looking for more photos from the show. Since these Death Watch mandos have them I think I need to look at the flashback more in detail.
PD1602131149rjI.jpg

PD1602131153x7d.jpg
death-watch-mandalorian-sixth-scale-figure-hot-toys_star-wars_gallery_5f7f40a5f188d.jpg

I’m interested in your progress because I really dislike the look of this blaster in animation and want to see how it comes out adapted for live action. I honestly didn’t even notice them using anything but the rifles in that flashback

Edit: I just watched the sequence from Chapter 8 and the only time it’s in someone’s hand is the initial Mando that opens the cellar to find Din, and he’s out of focus. There are some relatively clear shots of it holstered though which could be good frame by frame

Last edited:
I’m interested in your progress because I really dislike the look of this blaster in animation and want to see how it comes out adapted for live action. I honestly didn’t even notice them using anything but the rifles in that flashback
I just found a thread on the dented helmet forum that is already leagues ahead of this one, I’ll post their findings when I arrive to my pc.

Is that my thread you speak of on TDH?? ;)

I hadn't posted this yet on there, but this is where I am on the model:

1603371109232.png

I have the found base airsoft pistol arriving Friday that I will scan in and rough model the lower/grip in order to boolean it in to this so you can just inset the lower into the print.

Edit: I just watched the sequence from Chapter 8 and the only time it’s in someone’s hand is the initial Mando that opens the cellar to find Din, and he’s out of focus. There are some relatively clear shots of it holstered though which could be good frame by frame

Check the Gallery episode "Legacy" at 7:22, there is a behind the scenes shot of the actor of Young Din and that DW Mando and thats what I used to ID the base pistol. Good shot of the grip.

Is that my thread you speak of on TDH?? ;)

I hadn't posted this yet on there, but this is where I am on the model:

View attachment 1360778

I have the found base airsoft pistol arriving Friday that I will scan in and rough model the lower/grip in order to boolean it in to this so you can just inset the lower into the print.
Yep finding the base is a huge step, but I was wondering. Do you have some other reference besides the grip part and the hot toy for the slide? It looks so good so far!

Yep finding the base is a huge step, but I was wondering. Do you have some other reference besides the grip part and the hot toy for the slide? It looks so good so far!

Nope, I am using strictly the Hot Toy's sidearm as the reference for my model. The details on the Hot Toys has been incredibly accurate to the real suits on screen, so I believe that for the most part, that little toy sidearm is accurate to the real deal. The toy has 3 big similarities to the airsoft base too, so another reason I assume it's accurate as well.

There was another version of this I found online but it was a fan-made rendition of what it might look like in live-action. I like this version a whole lot better though

how are you able to get an accurate model like that from something at an angle in the pictures, I'm trying to learn how to do this myself

how are you able to get an accurate model like that from something at an angle in the pictures, I'm trying to learn how to do this myself
Thought I replied to this, sorry!

But essentially, alot of it is staring at the fuzzy pictures for hours and hours, and then using artistic interpretation. For what it is, I can see the pistol grip details on the figure photos that match up to the stills from the show and gallery episode. So I essentially look at everything else and sort of line it all up. I bought the $140 airsoft to begin using it for size reference which allows me to essentially "guess" at the size of each part. Then I sort of just make it up as I go by inverting the negative and contrast of the photos to get more details.

Like this for instance:

1604335002353.png

This is my screen grab in photoshop after some contrast editing and I saw this trapezoid shape under the barrel. Which in turn, gave me this for my "interpretation" of what it was:

1604335054683.png

is this going to be able to be replacing the top part of the airsoft gun, and are you planning on making a full on version of it?

is this going to be able to be replacing the top part of the airsoft gun, and are you planning on making a full on version of it?
Yes, and Yes.

The Thread on TDH has the link for the grip and parts, and we will be making the file available, as well as selling castings once I finish my own mold.

Great job Gilmortar, looks really good. I really want to take a stab at this also. Just haven’t pulled the trigger on grabbing those airsoft pistols. I think it’s particularly cool they chose these models of airsoft, as I’d like to see Mercs start taking advantage of the customizability with the accessories already available for these guns. Can’t wait to have a pair for a future Obi Wan Maul Mando build.

Just wondering if there is any update on this project, and if theres' any information on what airsoft gun was used?
consensus thus far is AW Custom Hi-Capa Airsoft, since the grip matches, there is also a split frame, not sure if it makes a difference.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back