The Mandalorian - Cara Dune's Pistol

VanOaksProps

Sr Member
For anyone planning on a Cara Dune costume, it looks like her blaster is mainly the WWII Japanese type 14 Nambu pistol with a Bushnell Phantom scope with the eyepiece removed.

78472475_2400165363439397_449677144541364224_n.jpg

58-TYPE 14 NAMBU pistol.jpg
IMG_4550__89600.1504610079.1280.1280.JPG

I don't think that the scope shown is the correct model. The one in the screencap more closely resembles a vintage Phantom scope in the angle of the bell, the transition into the knurled ring, and the lack of side grooves. It looks like they chopped off the long portion in front of the bell.

Are we sure that they used an actual Nambu for the build? It looks like it might be based on an airsoft or even a casting/3D print looking at what's going on with the upper receiver and how there are no real seams around the grip and magazine. I think this is another case of "inspired by, but not actually a (insert boomstick here)" thing like with Mando's blaster
75302857_2360970967358837_5891885623265984512_n.jpg

Are we sure that they used an actual Nambu for the build? It looks like it might be based on an airsoft or even a casting/3D print looking at what's going on with the upper receiver and how there are no real seams around the grip and magazine.

I don't think they use the actual prop guns for these displays. The one shown is a casting, and the scope is warped, too.

I don't think they use the actual prop guns for these displays. The one shown is a casting, and the scope is warped, too.
The prop on display is less my point than the actual structural differences of the Cara blaster compared to a real type 14 nambu. There are certainly a number of pieces that line up exceptionally well with the Type 14 such as the grip & trigger guard, upper rear sight, and the cocking knob, but there are also enough differences such as the extension to the rear tang on the frame/grip, the extended slide with cocking serrations and the extended front end with the cutout around the barrel and such to question if they used an actual nambu (which are starting to become rare $$$$) for the build or if it's just heavily inspired by one just like Mando's blaster pistol was inspired by it's real world counterpart. We've also seen Disney largely rely on using Airsofts in their films as of late rather than using actual live firing models like in the OT days. Just food for thought (also I'd hate to see people start butchering real nambu's if one wasn't actually used)
Could just be my eyes playing games, but it almost looks like the barrel on her blaster sits higher on the Cara blaster than the nambu's barrel would even allow for

58-TYPE 14 NAMBU pistol.jpg
78472475_2400165363439397_449677144541364224_n.jpg

Last edited:
The prop on display is less my point than the actual structural differences of the Cara blaster compared to a real type 14 nambu. There are certainly a number of pieces that line up exceptionally well with the Type 14 such as the grip & trigger guard, upper rear sight, and the cocking knob, but there are also enough differences such as the extension to the rear tang on the frame/grip, the extended slide with cocking serrations and the extended front end with the cutout around the barrel and such to question if they used an actual nambu (which are starting to become rare $$$$) for the build or if it's just heavily inspired by one just like Mando's blaster pistol was inspired by it's real world counterpart.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point earlier, but I'm in agreement. I don't think they used a real Nambu as a base for this prop. For one thing, the new slide serrations on the prop would obscure the factory serial number, which would be a big no-no if it were a live-fire pistol. (Not so if it were a deactivation, but deacts are rare in the U.S. and also require major destructive steps in order to meet ATF specs.)

So it was either modeled over a Nambu (like how the Mando blaster was modeled after a Bergmann), or it was built on one of two "available" replicas. And when I say "available", I really mean discontinued... like how the scope and mount are too, of course.

We've also seen Disney largely rely on using Airsofts in their films as of late rather than using actual live firing models like in the OT days. Just food for thought (also I'd hate to see people start butchering real nambu's if one wasn't actually used)
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the airsoft replica that was once available.

Could just be my eyes playing games, but it almost looks like the barrel on her blaster sits higher on the Cara blaster than the nambu's barrel would even allow for

Great observation about the bore axis! I was trying to figure out what looked off. However, upon reviewing some videos of Nambus, I'm also seeing the same kind of distortion... so perhaps it's an optical illusion??? I think they put springs over the barrel and maybe that's also contributing to the off-boreline effect.

I can't wait to see higher res images at some point. I didn't like this blaster at first, but it has certainly been growing on me! I guess I just dig the obscure WWII-1970's mashup aesthetic.

Last edited:
Same, I wouldn't mind building this one. These feel like actual blasters to me, unlike near all the PT ones and most of the ST ones which look just too fantasy to me. They look realistically engineered/mechanical, which adds leaps and bounds the their believeability on screen

I like this one a lot - save for the modern looking flash hider.

The ridged barrel and front look almost.. like they're slid over an existing barrel and may not sit exactly in line with the barrel. Especially if the original barrel is small. What replicas have been sold before?

I think the flash hider has ridges around its circumference like attached and does not have any slots/holes. I don't think it's a real flash hider but instead could be some other kind of found part. Unless, of course, it's been custom machined for this prop.

Attachments

• flash-hider-end.jpg
    flash-hider-end.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 369
Slightly brightened version of the image at the start of the thread. Looks like the whole barrel has been redesigned, although the bulk looks (to me at least) like an unaltered Nambu-like pistol.
The-Mandalorian-Chapter-4-Sanctuary-Equals.jpg

Thanks for these screengrabs — very helpful!

So at first, I'd thought that extensions on the front of the slide and rear frame had been blended into the Nambu's profile, and that maybe Cara's blaster was a new design based on the original gun (like how Mando's is a Bergmann derivative). But your last pic suggests that new pieces might have been attached to an original Nambu (or replica Nambu) to change the profile.

The barrel here looks like a new profile (and not springs over a stock barrel).

Scope mount is angled to the right side.

I still don't get what's going on with the flash hider. Check out the scene in Chapter 4 when she caps the bounty hunter. There's a frontal view of the blaster, and it looked to me like it had fins/ridges. Hard to discern those in these screencaps.

Yeah, I ID'ed the scope on this before the show aired, I knew it wouldn't be long before folks started fighting over these!

Anyway, the flash hider looks a lot like the "marker cap" for the DL-18, to me. At least, that's what I saw in my 4k screen caps.

Hey all,

I modeled this blaster and have put my files up for free on Thingiverse. Hope this helps!

featured_preview_caradune2.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back