Limited Run The Mandalorian Blaster, screen accurate (TWO LEFT before)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone,

OK, so it seems we're all going crazy for the Mando. (Turn off that self destruct!) I really like his sidearm, but none of the models out there seem to be hitting all the points I want in accuracy of detail, so I'm going to do one myself.

Updated Jan 23:

FULL REVEAL of FINAL MODEL and FEATURES! TAKING ORDERS and PRINTING has BEGUN!

side_05.jpg

1578708265772.png

1578708302057.png

(Note: I forgot to insert the small rivets in the sides and include the little "front nub" in these photos, in case anyone is wondering. They are of course included!)

Details:
  • Dead-on accurate (according to "folks that know", haha)
  • Each model will be professionally 3d printed with a nice, smooth surface out of grey engineering-grade resin, in multiple parts for ease of build. This resin is durable and should withstand light trooping and rougher handling than cast-resin at the same thickness. (It's not a "stunt prop" though!)
  • Moving trigger (electric pushbutton for trigger spring action INCLUDED)
  • Hollow for electronics. Something like a Blaster Core 5 should fit and I made a special "hidden" opening for a speaker so as not to disturb the accurate look.
  • I will provide a detailed tutorial on how to do a nice blue/brown steel effect using a new method I came up with for another recent prop.
  • Real brass hand-machined cleaning rod and "slide nub".
  • Heavy aluminum barrel (special double-thick 2-2.5mm tube stock).

Final cost is $385 US, including worldwide shipping. (It's fairly large and will use a lot of resin with several "print plates" needed and it will not be mass-manufactured since I can only manage maybe 2-3 per week. Kits will ship in order of full payment.

PM ME if you want one!

You can also follow my BUILD THREAD for more photos and info:

Mando Blaster, in Multiple Parts, Real Metal Beskar Ingot and Whatever Else I End Up Doing...

I realize that others around the 'net started making this ages ago, and I waited until after the last episode to finalize the last details after working every spare minute for the last couple of months on the model. I hope that those of you who know my commitment to detail think it was worth waiting for! I didn't want to rush it, and indications I've gotten from a few folks "behind the scenes" seem to hint that I got right the smaller details I was fretting over.

Note: Those that committed early, before the model was done, got it for a little less than the final cost, plus an additional "secret" perk, as thanks for trusting me to come through.

My special thanks go out to all of you for the trust and praise!

If you have any questions, drop me a message!

Confirmed / Committed (before model reveal) list:

ikevin1138 (PAID)
Scarecrow Joe (PAID)
masterjedi322 (PAID)
Boba Flint (PAID)
Eh Plus Cosplay (PAID)
DeweySkywalker (???)
UnitPD (PAID)
qwkartist2000 (PAID)
paulhaga (PAID)
darkchylde80 (PAID HALF)
framed (PENDING)
jarradfx (PAID)
tennantlim (PAID)
teragon (PAID)
sctcarts (PAID)
danomite40 (PAID)
zsherman (PAID)
donbert (PAID)
hatefrost (PAID)
Dao2 (PAID)
Kokanee (PAID)
Cableton (PAID
funslayer (PAID)

After model completion list:
BigBoss (PAID)
Ventoguy (PAID)

Attachments

• 1573809995213.png
    1573809995213.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 3,981
  • 1576141886181.png
    1576141886181.png
    31 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 1577123195895.png
    1577123195895.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,624
  • 1577123209460.png
    1577123209460.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited:
Would molding one of your prints and casting the copies in standard resin be a lower cost option? I know that UV Resin isnt cheap.
I actually thought about it, but don't think it would be viable. The last time I tried casting I had an allergic reaction to the resin (maybe it was just the Smooth-On type I was using, because it never happened before) just from it being airborne... and my work space isn't really set up to deal with the health hazards that come with doing lots of casting- it's messy and I'm only "OK" at it. I did reach out to a friend but he couldn't take it on. In the end though, they would still end up costing 200-ish, even as a 1-piece, due to the overall work involved- especially if I had to bring in a third party. (To be honest... only a handful of people around here could do a casting high quality enough to make it worthwhile.) Believe me, I know the print resins I use are crazy expensive, but the things I do these days don't really lend themselves to casting-runs. The general interest for super-accurate, highly-worked pieces is low, so I usually focus on doing a few, really nice copies.

Yes! Would love one!
Interested
Im interested!
One please!
Sean
Interested!
Noted, and thanks! OK, seems there are enough committed to the run so far for me to make it a higher priority that I was initially counting on, so I'll go back and forth between this and the Blade Runner Voight Kampff as my main modeling projects for the time being. I've spent the day taking screencaps, collecting other reference and prepping background from which to model from. (There's always a lot of tweaking and perspective correction before modeling proper can begin. I also tend to spend hours just looking at details, thinking about how to implement them.)

Oh... and I think I'll try to make the main barrel metal if I can find suitable stock of tubing. It'll serve to make the entire frame more stable and feel better.

Confirmed list updated!

Just to reiterate... I know there are copies out there already being made, but I don't want to rush this, so much appreciation for staying in for the long haul (that hopefully won't be THAT long). I want to make THE most accurate kit out there, in multiple parts, with all the bells & whistles I can.

Any chance you'll offer finished versions?
Maybe... but it would be dependent on time, of which I don't have a lot of . It's actually not a hugely difficult blaster to paint overall, but I couldn't give a cost at the moment... count on the resin parts X 2 or 3.

Last edited:
List updated!

Just a small update. While waiting for the first sample of my metal Beskar ingot, I've been making steady progress on the blaster model. I'm also going to look into the possibility of maybe, maybe, maaaaaaaybe doing a version in aluminum. Again... that's a maaaaaaaybe, depending on how the foundry I'm working with delivers on the ingot, and would probably almost double the cost.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back