Limited Run The Mandalorian Blaster, screen accurate (TWO LEFT before)

Have any shipped? Waits impatiently for an awesome run
The first copies are still a a couple weeks (at least) away from shipping. I have a bunch printed, but I need to clean off all the supports, sort the parts and pack them, which takes a while since we're talking hundreds of pieces, and I have to finish some more of the ingots (which have stared shipping) first because I have my workspace set up to do them and since it's so small, I have to rearrange everything when I do something else! (It's frustrating, but that's what lack of space will do, haha.)

Here's a photo I took a while back... the pile is probably three times the size by now!
1580289249895.png

Add to that I've had a heavier pile of things to to at work the last couple of weeks, but it's getting there. I want to get them done ASAP, so I now have a second "build platform" for the printer, which means that I can start a new batch of parts more or less direct, instead of having to go through the cleaning process before freeing up the platform to be used again (if I'm at home when a print cycle is finished, that is). Initially I was not planning on running the machine 24/7 but now I'm trying to schedule prints to start at time X when I leave for work and time Y when I get home. Each batch (there are four of them per kit, basically, but they print in pairs) takes different amounts of time so it's kind of an ongoing puzzle.

Offering painted up ones?
Not regularly, but I might be persuaded to let go of one of the copies I am currently making. I'm doing a few builds of this, testing slightly different techniques. (The first one is spoken for already.) Count on it costing $1-1.5K though, or even more, depending on how elaborate I make it. But IF you're interested in one of those and have a max-cost I'd want to know ASAP so that I can tailor the workload appropriately.

Thanks! : )

Small progress update. Made rough parts count based on print plates and so far I have (more or less) 16 pairs of body halves, 12 sets of slides, and 10 sets of grips and greeblies, so I'm around halfway done with the current list and might be able to start cleaning parts this weekend depending on how far I get on the ingots, 'cause I really want to get those done and out the door.

I also have another point... a couple folks that committed to the run have yet to get back to me. One promised to send payment (but hasn't) and the other hasn't replied to a single message I've sent, despite having been on-site regularly. I would hate to have to leave negative feedback or something, because so far I've never done so. I understand that things happen... a huge medical bill, family tragedy, losing your job or something may force someone to have to withdraw from a commitment, but I would hope that if the person is still in a mind to visit the RPF regularly under such circumstances, they would have the courtesy to at least respond in some fashion. For example: one member, a while back in another run, was in a bad accident... this member was away for several weeks but got back to me as soon as they reappeared on-site and apologized- even offering to follow through if necessary, despite having rehab bills (which, of course, they did NOT have to and I arranged for someone else to take their spot). THAT is some stand-up respect! But committing to a run and then simply ignoring all attempts at communication isn't very courteous, and hurts us as a community.

Overall though, I have to say that almost everyone who signed up for this has followed through and have been absolutely fantastic. A heartfelt THANK YOU for that! It proves that there's still room for runs and builds of things that try to go for "that little bit extra" detail. Cheers!

Lots of cleaning of parts from supports today. Feels so wasteful that many parts use more resin in support than they contain! (But it's necessary to get a quality part.)

By my count so far I have printed up: 20 blaster bodies, 14 sets of slides, 18 sets of grips, 20 muzzles and a whole mess of greeblies! Almost... there.

Anyone else wanna get in on the most accurate kit around, while I've still got the momentum up, haha?

(Seriously though... after this, the Beskar ingot and the Blader Runner kit I've got going, I might have to take a break from kit runs and just focus on finishing a few projects for myself for a change.)

Oooh. Look at this! justinrowan sent me a photo of his first set of test grips in WOOD for this kit! Still some refining to do and the backs need to be hollowed out to make room for electronics, but awesome so far! Note: If you're interested in a set, please let him know (or wait until he starts a thread about it). They are not included with the kit from me.

1581410478434.png

Weekend update. Just a few more plates to go until I have printed the current full run. Good thing too, as I've used more resin that I thought I'd need and the resin trays I have will only handle a few more before they need replacing. (They get burned out by the UV laser after a while.) The app that preps models for the printer is also, apparently, NOT very exact... which is bad when you need to calculate every milliliter! Once I exhaust my current supply of materials, future copies might go up in cost a little once I recalculate how much materials were actually needed... I don't know yet. But for the time being, nothing changes.

Another cool thing:
I am working on a metal parts upgrade for this that you will be able to get via Sh*peways once it's done, IF the parts turn out OK (i.e. I am not making it myself). Exact parts and cost are still TBD but it might be useful for those that will be subjecting their kits to heavier handling while cosplaying. (Note to folks who committed early: this is NOT the special set of parts you will eventually get access to.) Obviously, the kit still mostly resin, so it will not stand up to the same kind of punishment as that really awesome metal version someone is doing, BUT in terms of screen accuracy, I think this kit is still on top by a fairly wide margin.

More sorting of parts today, plus I spent a couple hours cutting all the brass screws and the "slide nub". Darn near killed the Dremel I think!

After all these are done, I think I'll have pre-cut brass parts for maybe 3-5 more kits if anyone wants one. After that, it may be a while before I feel like cutting up more (plus I'd have to drive out and buy more raw stock to cut).

Wow, you're doing way more part clean-up than I would have anticipated. I'm so excited for this kit! I'll be rewatching the series when I work on it for sure.

Wow, you're doing way more part clean-up than I would have anticipated. I'm so excited for this kit! I'll be rewatching the series when I work on it for sure.
Well, I figure that the kit isn't exactly inexpensive, so whatever I can do in terms of cutting out the "boring stuff" of building it, is worthwhile! : )

I'm on the final stretch now... finally... just a couple of parts to reprint to fill the current run.

With that said: IF ANYONE IS ON THE FENCE ABOUT GETTING ONE, NOW'S THE TIME TO SEND ME A PM!

Once these are done, I'll probably be mothballing the old printer and setting up the new one (or switch it to "experimental prints" only). I don't know how much longer the old one can produce quality parts... I'm already reprinting some things due to what I suspect might be the laser getting weaker. And the new printer is, from what I have calculated so far, more expensive to run, so that might affect costs going forward. Ugh... here I thought tech was supposed to get cheaper. (I'm also planning on taking a break from doing "new" props for a while... I'll still print the ones I have patterned and ready, but I really need to catch up on some neglected projects!)

I'm kinda on the fence. I would like the most accurate prop that I can find. What makes yours more accurate than the others being made?

Garrett

Garrett, thats a great question. You really need to read the design thread (The Mando Project (S.A. Blaster, Metal Beskar Ingot and I guess maybe the whole darn suit...!) ) he did before he opened this up to a run. And watch and see how he uses multiple techniques to really nail down dimensions, angles, and scales of details. Not just that, but the thread was open to debate and a lot of people jumped in with imagery, practical weapon advice, and 3D expertise.

And being the first guy to pull the trigger on one let me tell you, I’m a completely anal ******* when it comes to SW blasters/weapon props. Being a former ILMer for 10 years, it’s kinda in my blood.

I was on the fence with about four different Etsy builders, but after starting to follow the research and build thread, I was hooked on what was being done.

Read through the thread. You will not be disappointed. I sure as hell wasn’t.

IMG_2538.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back