Limited Run The Mandalorian: Anodized Aluminum Darksaber Hilt - UPDATE 07/08 NOW IN PRODUCTION - **RUN FULL**

Lighting from the blade sounds like the easiest solution to fit most install needs while staying visually accurate to the show. Being able to install separate accent lights might be cool creatively, but I don't know if many people need or are looking to take it that far.

Quoting so we can get some more opinions? Now that we are getting closer with the design, we are trying to figure out the best way to attack the accent lights. We would like to have them hollowed out to use the light from the blade stem, and for them to use a piece of frosted acrylic to diffuse the light. Opinions?

Let us know what you think!

-Malibu
I think lighting them via the blade is best, as long as reasonable prop accuracy can be maintained. And it still leaves things very open for those who want a static prop, even one with lit windows.

I like the frosted acrylic/light from the stem concept. If it came down to it I'm much more for display/static screen accuracy than anything else. Followed by durability/structural integrity. Then electronics/lighting/sound. All of the above in one would be great though if it can be done.

I like the frosted acrylic/light from the stem concept. If it came down to it I'm much more for display/static screen accuracy than anything else. Followed by durability/structural integrity. Then electronics/lighting/sound. All of the above in one would be great though if it can be done.
You summed up the goals pretty well, we're trying to balance all of those. Hopefully a really cool update tonight or tomorrow!

UPDATED NEW INFO 1/13 EDIT:

Good news, we have finalized our design and we have added everything we need to the saber. It will be screen accurate both as a static prop and with a Saber Trade FX blade. Final renders below.
  1. Hollow 24mm tube down the hilt for electronics chassis
  2. 2.1mm charge port compatibility at the bottom of the grip
  3. hole for sound to escape
  4. 17x34x1mm slots for clear polycarbonate inserts (diffuser for 8 blade ports)
  5. hole for standard 12mm AV button
  6. proprietary adapter for The Saber Trades blade w/ screen accurate plug solution
1054045-cefd718c2859016a8659c4f387c690b0.jpg
1054042-6a24bcf5353846c17603af2cb7f1b82f.jpg
1054043-b4c90a7120f123703575a5c5e1bb4949.jpg
1054044-0fcc624df1f490f7b95c279d30e8fa05.jpg
1054041-7e5aadf413ec8834fafb6ee864d6a21d.jpg
1054046-a3d70fabd715e88d4c7893d91b087232.jpg
1054048-e144b544b9e10fe2607e65847dacaff1.png

We are working on a solution for the grip texture, we want to include some Talon Grip tape that will be laser cut to fit the lines. Or if you prefer, we will sand down the grips to be silver or even leave them black. And if any of you are wondering, yes the blade will overhang. ;)

Now that the design is done, we will be 3D printing prototypes and having the machine shop prepare to make the hilt. Once we have a working 3D printed prototype in hand, and a date from the shop, we will change this thread from Interest to Limited Run, and begin taking deposits.

Thank you to Valentine Costumes for help with the design along with The Saber Trade for helping with blades.

A lot of great things are coming together very quickly, and we are very thankful for all of your support!

Again, This is The Way!

- Malibu & @Slick

New Update! Finalized design with renders and specifics. Updated the original post too. Check it out.

- Malibu

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Great news! We have confirmed the machine shops interest in our project, he is working with us on our design and its manufacturability. The wait time for the shop is 3 weeks once the design is ready, so we are trying our best to prepare our design to get to that point. We will see how the booking situation works out.

With that being said, we are working to have our hilt design tweaked to be as accurate as possible. Overall this is going very well and hope to spread the word some more. If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask them here! Especially all of the new people since our last major update.

- Malibu
I was wondering, how do I pay the deposit? I'm on the list but dont have any notifications anywhere

I was wondering, how do I pay the deposit? I'm on the list but dont have any notifications anywhere
This will become a run very soon, information will be posted here as well as PM's sent to everyone on the interest list. We are working with all parties to make sure everything works properly before hand. Once we do ask for a deposit, we will for sure let everyone know!

- Malibu

Is the final design plan to use a single large socket screw for blade retention as pictured? That seems to mirror the upcoming Hasbro Darksaber design which I understand they would use a simpler design for a mass market product and not stick to true screen accuracy. But based on additional reference from season 2, I believe the actual prop used 2 small set screws which were more inconspicuous. The rest of this saber's details look great and it would nice if the 2 set screw feature could be adopted as well.

Is the final design plan to use a single large socket screw for blade retention as pictured? That seems to mirror the upcoming Hasbro Darksaber design which I understand they would use a simpler design for a mass market product and not stick to true screen accuracy. But based on additional reference from season 2, I believe the actual prop used 2 small set screws which were more inconspicuous. The rest of this saber's details look great and it would nice if the 2 set screw feature could be adopted as well.
We are working on a different screw design right now for blade retention. We will likely be using some sort of set screw similar to the screen used model. Once we have that portion finished we will update with pics.

-Malibu

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back