The Lone Ranger (2013)

Goonie

Sr Member
First look at The Lone Ranger and Tonto:

LoneRanger.jpg

Get ready for a peyote laced Tonto who will be taking trips to the spirit world every 5 minutes. That said, I kind of like they way they look.

I feel like this shot will be right before a final showdown. They've had time to regroup and plan something and here they are ready to head into action.

Honestly, mainly because I can't imagine Depp will be in warpaint ( which i don't like ) the entire movie, and yes, the Ranger looks way too clean.

Just another rant, I can't stand seeing people say he looks like Jack just because he has long hair and a bandana. Is he supposed to have a buzz cut? The man could decide to grow his hair long and grow out facial hair on his own accord and people would probably accuse him of 'going of the deep and end thinking he is becoming jack sparrow'. Don't get me wrong, I love Pirates and Jack but I think it's unfortunate that it's such a strong character that people feel the need to compare everything else to it. It's as stupid as saying 'his voice sounds the same'. *sigh*

Regardless, I don't like westerns, I don't like Armie Hammer and I know nothing about the Lone Ranger but I'll be seeing it anyways. So +1 for them on casting Depp who makes everything at least entertaining to watch. And who is, btw, of Cherokee heritage.

:facepalm

So no Native Americans were available to play the role, and the casting director decided the only solution was Johnny Depp in white (warpaint) face.

PASS ON THIS!

So no Native Americans were available to play the role, and the casting director decided the only solution was Johnny Depp in white (warpaint) face.

PASS ON THIS!

I was thinking the same thing. The Native Americans should be raising hell about this but don't seem to be. I know they went after Disney for Pocahontas when it came out. I'm pretty sure they'd find a few Native Americans if they wanted but they'd rather over pay Depp and use his name as a draw for crowds. This movie already looks pretty bad.

PASS ON THIS!

That was my first thought. I mean, maybe he'll be good, but, come on. They couldn't find ANY Native American to play the role?

I do understand the general feeling of not casting a native american for the role of Tonto, but come on its a movie.

Its going to be full of historical inaccuracies anyway such as speech patterns etc..

I say hold judgement until we see the movie and enjoy it for what it is, a no thinking pop corn movie.

I do understand the general feeling of not casting a native american for the role of Tonto, but come on its a movie.

Its going to be full of historical inaccuracies anyway such as speech patterns etc..

I say hold judgement until we see the movie and enjoy it for what it is, a no thinking pop corn movie.

This.

Personally, I can't think of a prominent Native American actor that would assist Armie Hammer's casting ( a relative unknown ) in bringing in money for a high budget Hollywood action flick.

It was almost shelved because Verbinski had the budget set too high for how he wanted to make the movie. Hiring another relative unknown so some people are 'okay with it' would not bode well for the gross.

We all know it. For this generation, and this type of movie, the audience draw is already small in comparison to the money it needs to make. Having Depp in it ( who has a 98% chance of giving an entertaining performance ) is their biggest draw.

Oh...just wanted to add this... thoughts?

Yeah, I know it's just a movie and all, but the notion of "We have to stick a big name in it so we can justify the big expense and include a ton of 'splosions and CGI" is, to me, the problem.

Make a lower budget film and put in better actors. That's not to say Depp is bad or anything. I'm sure he'll turn in a watchable performance as he usually does. But still, it's just more of the risk-averse BS that irritates me about Hollywood.

I think it's kind of cool they used a relative unknown for the main character and one of the biggest names in Hollywood to portray the sidekick. Even if they didn't hire a full fledged Native American, they considered the role of the character very important to have someone like Depp fill it ( Plus the money yada yada yada ) and to have an audience invest in that character.

Would people be happier if they did cast a Native American who nobody knew and nobody cared to go see? Who because of their relative anonymity, made the character of Tonto have less of an impact with general audiences? You'd have the crowd like the ones complaining here who would be happier ( of which whom maybe the older Lone Ranger fans would still pay to see it, but I doubt those new to it would ), but for the general audiences the fact is there is less appeal.

Good lord. It's one photo and the hater train rolls into town full steam. WOW. :)

It feels like the Prometheus thread in here.

I don't think Depp has any pirates in his family, does he? How about people who sell books? Or lizards? I don't think he was related to John Dillinger, and I doubt very seriously he has any old english detectives in his lineage. How about killer barbers who liked to sing?

dressed as immaculately as that he looks more like the loan ranger, offering excellent rates of interest on loans taken out over a 5 year period with a fixed 12.3% APR, free sheriff badge with every application

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back