The Lone Ranger (2013)

The first paragraph:

Yeah, I didn't read any further. This wasn't going to be an un-biased review.

I realize that no review is un-biased, but you can't say "This movie is going to be terrible, but I have an open mind." This is the same kind of mentality that went into "Cowboys and Aliens" and expected more than "Cowboys and Aliens".
See, I agree with that about Cowboys and Aliens.

the original lone ranger tv show was way worse than this movie as far as insulting native americans... hands down

How is casting Jay Silverheels, a real Mohawk, worse than casting Depp, who falsely claims to be an Indian? :facepalm[/h]

How is casting Jay Silverheels, a real Mohawk, worse than casting Depp, who falsely claims to be an Indian? :facepalm[/h]

I was wondering that. Actually it was a surprise they hired a real Native American instead of slapping makeup on the palest guy they could find.

Already being compared in the press to John Carter and Wild Wild West.

WHEN is Bruckheimer/Disney going to DUMP Elliott and Rossio?

Of course, Depp's performance did nothing to help this film. Tried vainly to recapture the "lightning in a bottle" that was jack Sparrow...

Finally saw the movie yesterday. Seriously don't know what the haters are on about. The first two thirds of the movie was "good", then the last third kicked into the "HOLY AWESOME BATMAN!!!" mode.

Again, was it a cinematic work of art that made you contemplate that paradigms of the American West, progress and justice? No - but it was an enjoyable, fun adventure movie. I got out of exactly what I expected and and loved every minute of it.

The spirit horse stood in front of this thread and mumbled something about reviving it ;)

I watched the movie yesterday and must say that I really liked it. A fun movie. In tone a lot better than Green Hornet (bonus points for geek knowledge!), even if the style ia comparable, i.e. taking a classical serious as heck hero and retelling the story tongue in cheek. I can't understand the slew of bad reviews, I even liked JDs performance. I never saw JD but only crazy ol Tonto. My recommendation of the week for a FUN and distracting movie. And mostly family friendly movie. If your family doesnt have members younger thatn twelve, that is.

I kinda feel the same. I thought it was fun for the most part. It's way longer than it needed to be but its general weirdness kept it interesting for me.

I kinda feel the same. I thought it was fun for the most part. It's way longer than it needed to be but its general weirdness kept it interesting for me.

Check. Strangely enough I also liked John Carter, seeing that a lot of people didnt like both movies. I did know both source materials, but only vaguely. But I cant imagine that there was a huge fanbase out there boycotting the movie NuGB style. Maybe it was the marketing that helped tank thw movie. Werent there a lot of problems dueing the production, similar to what happened dueing fiming a new hope?

JC wasn't bad at all, it was the marketing that killed it. What they advertised wasn't remotely close to the move that was shown on screen. Not at close AT ALL.

The Lone Ranger, sort of the same thing. THAT wasn't the Lone Ranger. If you never saw the 50's/60's TV show and had no clue who/what the lone ranger was....then yeah, it was pretty fun and a good ride. But when you attach the title 'The Lone Ranger' to it, along comes a preset set of expectations - and rightly so. They ignored those expectations and paid for it in reviews. But, like i said, Put another title on it, and it's pretty good.

The Lone Ranger, sort of the same thing. THAT wasn't the Lone Ranger. If you never saw the 50's/60's TV show and had no clue who/what the lone ranger was....then yeah, it was pretty fun and a good ride. But when you attach the title 'The Lone Ranger' to it, along comes a preset set of expectations - and rightly so. They ignored those expectations and paid for it in reviews. But, like i said, Put another title on it, and it's pretty good.

I had to look The Lone Ranger up, although I know the show and the merchandise and the comics as a kid.
What I found when I compared the show guidelines to what is shown and told in the movies was an IMO very close interpretation of the original material or at least the foundation that it was built and developed on. Up to the point that I' d dare and say that the little boy who met Tonto at the museum probably was Britt Reid aka The Green Hornet. Yeah, I may be going a bit overboard interpretation wise, but why not?
The humour for sure was not there in the original,.but without it it would have been pretty bland.

I had the same feeling after seeing Ryan Johnsons Godzilla. Damn close to the source, but that one lacked fun.

Just yesterday I watched a feature about the rise and demise of Hammer films. First they reinvented a genre or two that was presumed dead at the time by adding ingredients such as sex and violence, because traditional monster movies did npt work anymore.
THE LONE RANGER as a character who is as.goody two shoes, as morally perfect as Superman, or Captain Marvel.and probably the most Superheroes out there, cannot IMO be portrayed in a 50ies fashion. No killing.or even injuring people, no lewd or foul languageor slang, never takinh off his mask, treating every human being the same, can we have that? I think not. Unfortunate for us, but a sign of our times.

I wilm gladly show my son Lone Ranger movies, if I can find some in German.

I hadn't even heard about John Carter until it was out on home video, that's how badly the marketing failed me. But I absolutely adore it. Especially the seamless incorporation of elements not yet introduced by that point in the original story. Burroughs didn't come up with the Therns until several books in, but their presence explains everything that was going on earlier and makes Carter's journey to Mars in the first place make much more sense. And Lynn Collins remains my pick to this day for the perfect Wonder Woman -- and yes I've seen the current films (I do think Gal Gadot would be the best Selina Kyle ever, to be fair).

Similar here. For all the comedy elements, I found that served more to break tension than just be for yuks. They stuck to a solid and respectful interpretation of the original lore and gave us a story that was, IMO, more believable and grounded in history than a lot of the LR's radio and comic adventures. And while JD isn't full-blooded, he is part. And if his performance was good and respectful enough for the Apache Nation to induct him as an honorary member, I'm not, as a white guy, going to gainsay them.

(I also really like the new Godzilla and King Kong movies, and am looking forward to the next one -- same reasons: fantastical elements created in simpler times given the respect they deserve, while also giving them the complexity and verisimilitude they need.)

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back