The Lone Ranger (2013)

I don't think Depp has any pirates in his family, does he? How about people who sell books? Or lizards?

Can white people be pirates? Yes. Can white people sell books? Yes. Can white people sell lizards? Yes. Can white people be full blooded Native Americans? BZZZZZZZZZT.

And there's the crux of the issue.

Depp also wasn't British.

Though, that he is an invention made by a very creative man...I guess that's debatable. :lol (but at least he got hands).

Wasn't Sean Penn cast as a homosexual in Milk? Brad Pitt as a Jew?

AND HEY! I've just now realized that they cast an AUSTRALIAN to play a CANADIAN as Wolverine!!! But...but...there are so many good Canadian actors!! Why ignore the stars of my country!? D: Technically speaking, Depp has Native heritage and is an American... so he's closer to Tonto than Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine. :lol

Last edited:
I'd just like to see the Ranger in a more "casual" outfit rather than the suit he has on. At least it's not the baby blue tights that Clayton Moore wore though.

I'm sure Depp will provide another entertaining performance, but I would have liked to have seen Adam Beach (Wind Talkers) take on the role of Tonto.

He also wasn't British.

Though, that he is an invention made by a very creative man...I guess that's debatable. :lol (but at least he got hands).

Wasn't Sean Penn cast as a homosexual in Milk?

AND HEY! I've just now realized that they cast an AUSTRALIAN to play a CANADIAN as Wolverine!!! But...but...there are so many good Canadian actors!! Why ignore the stars of my country!? D: Technically speaking, Depp has Native heritage and is an American... so he's closer to Tonto than Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine. :lol

There are white British people.

Tonto is an invention of a man, and the invention is of a Native American, not a white person. A distinct, core, essential part of his character.

Sean Penn may very well be homosexual.

Australian is a citizenship, of which anyone of any heritage could potentially be.

But a white man can't be a full blooded Native American. You might as well start putting black face on white actors for roles intended to be black. The only exception to the case would be "Tropic Thunder" and that's because it is the very parody Hollywood and why this is wrong.

I really don't think the amount of 'native blood' in measurements is a fair casting specification. It's not like they put Toby McGuire in there as Tonto. I feel like Depp's heritage is reflected in his features, the dark eyes and hair, the tan skin, defined nose and bold facial structure ( and seemingly everlasting youth ). Is he full fledged Native American? No. But I wouldn't look at him and say " OH WOW! That is the whitest white guy ever trying to play a Native American! That's crazy, what are they thinking?! "

I also really think that this blew out of proportion way too fast. On a positive note, I hope Disney releases some more stuff in the near future for 'damage control'!! :lol

Again, it all comes down to the results. Someone suggested Adam Beach... given everything else I don't care about or know about for Lone Ranger, you could put that guy in there and I wouldn't see it and I'm sure thousands of other people wouldn't either.

The the two evils are upsetting people who want the actor of Tonto to be full Native American or having a big budget movie completely flop, the lesser of the two for Hollywood is the latter.

Honestly, everyone complaining, when Halle Berry, who is half African American, was cast as Storm, who is a full African American woman... did you put up the same argument?

Last edited:
Honestly, everyone complaining, when Halle Berry, who is half African American, was cast as Storm, who is a full African American woman... did you put up the same argument?

To me, Storm should have been Iman. I didn't like Halle Berry's version of Storm AT ALL!

Seriously, this woman doesn't age!
iman_qkm5t.jpeg

Last edited:
The the two evils are upsetting people who want the actor of Tonto to be full Native American or having a big budget movie completely flop, the lesser of the two for Hollywood is the latter.

If a movie is going to flop because a particular actor isn't in it, then I think you have a much bigger problem with the movie itself rather than the casting. If the only reason to put people in a seat is by who is in the movie, then you clearly have a problem with the concept and script of the movie.

As for Halle Berry and Storm, at least she is clearly not white, though of mixed race. I didn't care for her cast as Storm, nor her acting in the movie, nor the script for her, but at least she wasn't a Nordic looking person playing a black woman. (And Storm is full African, she was found there, born there, lived there, and I doubt she ever got her Visa unless Charles implanted a few suggestions in some border agents)

If a movie is going to flop because a particular actor isn't in it, then I think you have a much bigger problem with the movie itself rather than the casting. If the only reason to put people in a seat is by who is in the movie, then you clearly have a problem with the concept and script of the movie.

As for Halle Berry and Storm, at least she is clearly not white, though of mixed race. I didn't care for her cast as Storm, nor her acting in the movie, nor the script for her, but at least she wasn't a Nordic looking person playing a black woman. (And Storm is full African, she was found there, born there, lived there, and I doubt she ever got her Visa unless Charles implanted a few suggestions in some border agents)

Oh. I did a quick Google and it said Storm's Mom married an American journalist and had Storm in Manhattan. >_> *shrug*

I agree with the faults of the movie if they need to rely on casting, but before anyone decides to see the movie there are too many factors on the surface. The overall concept and script aren't what get people into seats. They are the biggest parts of what make a good movie, but you can't judge either of those by a trailer or promotional images. What people usually consider in advance...

Do I like this style of movie or its story?
Westerns aren't too hot nowadays.

Am I going to like these characters?
Usually if you don't like the actors, there's a high chance that the answer to this is no.

Do I want to see these actors?
Hardly anyone knows who Armie Hammer is, a random albeit good NA actor for Tonto would be in the same category. And then if they hired a superstar for the Lone Ranger and casted an unknown as Tonto, I'm sure there would be debate on that too, with those considering the casting of his role as minor and unimportant leaving him to be portrayed as 'that Native sidekick', by someone that the masses don't care to see.

I guess I just keep repeating myself. Out of the stars that draw an audience, I think Depp is probably the most suited for the role and they needed something to make this movie marketable to the masses.

In the end, I think having Depp as Tonto will not be a decision they'll regret. I'm presuming that the movie will be moderately entertaining ( I don't like westerns ) and that a lot of its gross is going to be from older Lone Ranger fans or current Depp fans. Take Depp out of that equation and your biggest draw is older Lone Ranger fans and fans of westerns...I can't speak on the size of the Lone Ranger fanbase but from the most recent box office results, westerns don't draw much ( HAHA no pun intended ) unless it has talking animals in it... and even Rango didn't do that well. In fact, I'd say they're almost a gamble to begin with. Rango did 245 ww, Cowboys and Aliens did 100 and Jesse James did 15.

The only downside to the decision of casting him is the handful of people complaining 'but he's not a real Native American'. If that's enough to turn someone away from the movie if they had been a fan in the past, then I guess they weren't much of a fan and that's one less person from the smaller demographic that they're relying on audience from, but overall I don't think the negative thoughts of those people will be enough to hinder what mediocre success ( I REALLY doubt westerns, can you tell? ) the movie may have.

Depp's maternal great-grandmother, Minnie, was a full-blooded Cherokee and Depp also has Cherokee ancestry on his father's side.

More than "just good enough" for Native American status by any Tribal counsil.

Move on.

Doug

Last edited:
Well, just look at the star trek series', they had an Englishman playing a French captain, a hyspanic playing a Native American 1st officer and a journalist playing a Cardassian tailor!

I just remember how up at arms people were because M. Night Shayamalan didn't cast an Indian kid to portray a cartoon character that is from a pretend universe which has different nationalities from the real world.

Depp's maternal great-grandmother, Minnie, was a full-blooded Cherokee and Depp also has Cherokee ancestry on his father's side.

More than "just good enough" for Native American status by any Tribal counsel.

So he'd be 1/8th at best? How many 1/8th Cherokee were there during the period this movie is set? If he looked more significantly NA then maybe, but he's still at best only 1/8 and there are plenty of other NA actors who would look the part better.

And nope.

So he'd be 1/8th at best? How many 1/8th Cherokee were there during the period this movie is set? If he looked more significantly NA then maybe, but he's still at best only 1/8 and there are plenty of other NA actors who would look the part better.

And nope.

Pahhhleeeze! :rolleyes

How would you know how many 1/8th there were in that time period? More than just a few.

Again... move on.

Doug

So Kerr,
Are you going to be in the crowd that is angry about the casting, still goes to see it and then still complains about it afterward? Or are you just not going to see it because the casting bothers you so much? Just curious.

Everyone else,
What do you think about the mention that the movie is more based 'around' Tonto? What I'm thinking is that it's going to follow them but definitely put a spin on things...focusing on both, but giving the prominence to Tonto... seeing his reaction to things the Lone Ranger does. The way he works into the Lone Rangers plans, or changes the plans mid-action in favour of a better result and then the LR feeling all proud over said result and Tonto just smiling and nodding. From what I've read, Tonto ( which apparently actually can be translated to idiot or fool ) was portrayed originally as a comedic relief.

I have no idea how the actual show went and no interest in watching it...but I feel like it would be a pretty fun and funny idea for the film. I've always liked feeling like I could see behind the scenes with what the other characters do to influence certain outcomes.

I have a feeling this concept will just throw more people into a rage, however, but yet would be another reason why they cast a big-shot name for the role.

No, I wont' bother seeing it. I'm not big into Westerns.

As for Tonto, I believe the name he originally gave the Lone Ranger, "Keemosabe" actually means "Horse's Ass" So, he was kind of a dick.

If Native Americans consider Depp as their own (according to their standards) why should anyone else? Non-issue.

Doug

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back